Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well.. I have never been really happy with it..but its officially on my hate list.. Blew a head gasket ( I believe) coming home today in the snow... started running hot and blowing white smoke out the exhaust...sounds like a head Gasket to me!! If so.. its junk yard bound..not messing with another one.

Well.. I have never been really happy with it..but its officially on my hate list.. Blew a head gasket ( I believe) coming home today in the snow... started running hot and blowing white smoke out the exhaust...sounds like a head Gasket to me!! If so.. its junk yard bound..not messing with another one.

Someone will turn it into an off-road beast if it's AWD, too bad I don't live in CT anymore.

Long-time no-see on RMD.

Dave

If the mileage is less than 200k, the head gaskets are well worth doing. They are really easy engines to work on. It's basically a timing belt job + a head removal. You don't even have to remove the cams or valve covers!

Although I know what you mean about the 2nd gen Legacy's - I've worked on enough of them that I don't like them either. They are much cheaper on the construction than the 1st generation one's.

If it goes to the crusher - save the engine for someone doing an EJ swap.

GD

you are way too far away, but i have a 95 2.2L w/ egr waiting to go in. if you were only closer i'd take it, who wouldn't? but you may not be ready to let it go yet. maybe just venting a little.

haven't you done some good work to this car, struts, brakes maybe. the tires must be ok since you have been driving it.

sorry for your headaches.

think of it as your private stimulus package, it will make work for some one.

Oh the car is in great shape ..especially for being a NE car..any rust on it is trivial....

It has 196K miles on it..timing belt was done at 188K.

I would probably think about fixing it if it was a 5 spd.. its an AT and we all know I hate ATs.

I still havent looked at it due to rain and snow to determine what actually happened.But leaning towards selling it off cheap and finding something else..I dont want to go back to using my Impreza for everything. Plus this requires taking the coupe out of the garage..and he is in a billion pieces on flat tires.

I should also say.. I didnt overheat it.. It was about a mile from my house..went to just under 3/4 on the gauge was plowing through some heavy wet snow on a barely plowed road...and it went back to normal temp once I pulled in the driveway..with no smell of coolant.

Edited by Bucky92

I should also say.. I didnt overheat it.. It was about a mile from my house..went to just under 3/4 on the gauge was plowing through some heavy wet snow on a barely plowed road...and it went back to normal temp once I pulled in the driveway..with no smell of coolant.

based on this statement I am willing to hazard a guess that you didnt blow a head gasket - you packed snow up into the radiator breifly - less airflow would raise the temp some, then it melted off which could feasibly cause steam... and it was completely melted by the time you got home.

Connie

I'm close to you...if you decide to part with it, PM me

Bll

I might just get rid of it.. I have a friend who wants to sell me his 94 Amigo with 104K miles on it. He is one of the best mechanics I know..though flighty. Moved to california and the Amigo just sits here in CT..wants to part with it cheap..might just do this.

Connie, your a smart girl so i warn you. I had an izuzu once. They have headgasket problems and they have horrid frame rot problems. Look the frame over really good before you do anything.

i dont think the Isuzu have ever won crash test awards, reliability awards, high mileage awards, or general long term satisfaction awards as well, lots of not so good things. Maybe check out consumer reports older issues.

Before anyone goes off bashing the Amigo..let me say this.. the person who wants to sell it to me is one of my closest friends.. he has been working on cars since he was in diapers.. Right now he is in Cali making custom street rods etc.. I know this truck and it is 100% rust free.. runs perfect..has new exhaust low low mileage..tires have 4000K miles on them. Its already lifted..the right way. My friend would never sell me a headache. And for the price.. $250 just so he can recoupe the money he put into the exhaust... I dont think I can go wrong.

I have never been happy with this Legacy.. Compared to my Impreza..and even my XT6..this thing is a slow dog. On top its an AT and I hate ATs. I only use it to keep mileage off my Impreza and so it can take the door dings from the work parking lot.

So the Legacy is officially for sale.. I will post it later after I go over it for the issue it had yesterday. Either way its going to go cheap.

If you don't like the Leagcy, selling it is the way to go. Personally I've never been a Legacy fan anyways, always thought they were too Blaeh. As for the Amigo, I've always kinda wanted one, I think they are cool as hell! 2 door, removable top, 4wd, solid rear axle, and the early 90's ones were pretty attractive to me... Plus with a lift, its perfect! There's a really nice metallic orange one in my area that I wish I could afford :slobber:

-Bill

Oh the car is in great shape ..especially for being a NE car..any rust on

Probably just blcoked all the air flow to the radiator, and working it hard from plowing the snow.

Also, I have noticed alot of EJ engines getting VERY hot on first warm up, until the thermostat opens on these cold days( gotta love the hanging out in space at the BOTTOM of the motor thermostats)

Connie, your a smart girl so i warn you. I had an izuzu once. They have headgasket problems and they have horrid frame rot problems. Look the frame over really good before you do anything.

I second this.

I got bought one cheap to use the frame for a Subaru Build. Body had a bit of rust, but I figured I could still use the frame right?

WRONG!!! the thing was swiss chees everywhere underneath, I mean every seam, every bend, every weld was just absolutely eaten to dust.

Had to scrap it.

On the plus side, Isuzu FI systems are some of the Most similar to Subaru out there. They are the on;y other make I take into my shop.

In fact the late 80s MPFI 4 cyls. use many of the same part and have an almost identical self diagnosis process.

Connie, if you are familiar with our Subie FI, you will have no problemn with the Isuzu.

Although I know what you mean about the 2nd gen Legacy's - I've worked on enough of them that I don't like them either. They are much cheaper on the construction than the 1st generation one's.

GD

Too bad the 1st gens are so cramped, otherwise this statement would have prompted me to buy a beater 1st gen Legacy to fix up and drive.