Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip II: TrashWagon's RETURN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely nobody can attract trouble like Mr. Miles Fox.

We return to Butler, IN, hours ahead of schedule (11:00 AM Friday) Shooting has gone well, we had 32 hours of footage in the can and had started our 33rd.

Both cars have performed flawlessly since Iowa. Both are parked securely in Fox's apartment driveway. Now, bajaing is the only item on the agenda.

Matt, the kid who we entrusted the place to, is unsure of whether his license is valid for driving the trashwagon. We walk around the block with the camera in tow to the BMV, which is literally on the same corner as Fox's apartment and shares a parking lot. The woman behind the counter recognized Fox and asked us to turn the camera off...something about a felony.

Well, Matt's license checks out OK and we return to the apartment. Fox takes a shower and falls asleep. Matt, meanwhile, took the opportunity to rip through a few joints by the window. Suddenly, the cops show up, triggered by a complaint by the BMV lady. They smell pot. I keep the cameras rolling as long as I can. The end result; both Fox and Myoss Feece wind up arrested, tapes #33, 34, and 35 are confiscated for evidence, Fox is charged with posession, posession with prior (a felony) and paraphenalia (an IN infraction), and Feece the same (minus prior conviction). $2500 bond for Fox, $500 for Feece (paid at 10% with surety bonds), AND THE TRASHWAGON IS SEIZED AS EVIDENCE. The engine wasn't even cold when the impound wrecker carted it off.

I have continued taping. 1ABAJA, Fox's boss, graciously posted bond. Fortunately, Fox knows the wrecker driver (a Subaru owner, in fact), and we will spend the better part of tomorrow trying to get the Trashwagon back and maybe get some bajain' in. So, yes, Fox was arrested again, yes it's mostly on tape (if I can get them back from the fuzz), yes the Trashwagon made it back to Indiana without incident...if but for a brief moment of freedom. Fox is free on bond presently. This will make for interesting film. The local constabulary have a deep, abiding hatred of all things Fox and seem to exist to incarcerate this man.

Liberty has been tarnished. Justice has been waylaid.

Anybody a lawyer?

FREE MILES FOX!

-Tim Hansen

[filmmaker]

this is like way out of proportion. pushing the limits of the BPD, but they have the discretion to manipulate the situation, its pretty much a routine.

we will try to go recover the tapes tomorow, or at least make copies. this is out of control. it will see its day in court.

also i will see about retrieving my car from impound. its at maxton's, their tow guy hooked me up with the guy in edon. if it has been searched, i dont see why they cant let it go, the car is registered and legal. what the fo'

:madder: DID THEY HAVE A WARRENT? I'm no lawer but I feel they did not have proble cause. If they had been driving I say throw the book at them. I hate drives under the influence:mad: But since they were not in the car but inside the man should leave them alone.

Well sit back and chill the trip was a sucsess (sorta) have a cold one:drunk: and reflect at the journy of a lifetime. A year from now you'll look back and have good laugh.

BOTTOMS UP:drunk:

they called in a warrant over the phone. i myself did not see or do not have a copy of a warrant. we were gone all week, the apartment was sublet to fill the space while we were gone. this happened within an hour of arriving home.

Hrm.... not a laywer either, but im pretty sure unless they were sent to your apartment in search of marijuana, they cannot hold it against you. Since the lady from the DMV called in the complaint, they should only work on that complaint. And unless she called and said "I see people smoking pot, go arrest them" then the weed shouldnt be a concern. Also, it does sound like too many people there know you Miles. If people just look at you, and call the cops then i say its time to get out of dodge and make a new life for yourself in a larger town. With more Subaru's prefferably.

-Brian

reading of this i just coughed on my you know what. at least you got home first ;)

unfortunately, if an officer witnesses evidence of something illegal no matter where or what, they usually have probable cause to search. smelling marijuana from outside of a residence, especially if one of the tenants has had legal problems due to marijuana before, is probably sufficient probable cause.

my advice: hope your video goes over well at Sundance and makes it all worthwhile. :D good luck.

Miles:

I've said it once, I'll say it again: You've gotta get your rump roast out of Butler!! Too much bad blood, and the cops will never let you have piece of mind.

As far as the "charges", it's a total stretch to charge you, confiscate the camera and your car, because a friend was suspected/observed toking a joint. I'm not a lawyer either, but I do know the punishment is supposed to fit the crime. A Felony for running the camera inside the BMV is absolute BS. Tresspassing is probably as far as they can go with that.

Ok, I'll buy the "reasonable search" argument, but confiscating your property is certainly not reasonable. Patting down your friend, and you guys - maybe. Even if something is found in the car or on tape, the judge would have to throw it out because it was obtained illegally. Barney Fife blew it by jumping the gun. The Prosecuter would have had to give his blessing in advance to make that search stick.

Anyway, glad you made it back, and I'm looking forward to watching the tape. I've been cleaning out the garage, and I'm going to run some stuff out to Jim's that you and Danny might be able to use.

talk soon, John

well, i have to wait till later today to have the car released by the police, get it out of impound. all of tims paperwork and cell phone is in the car, so we need to get that first.

we also need to have the tapes released, and if not that, at least have them let us dub vhs copies for their use(evidence) and let us have the copies

i will be requesting video cameras in the court room, and i will subpoenae tim, his camera, and the tapes in court, as well as all of the arresting officers, the land lord, and the occupying tennants. also the license branch lady, that evil wench!!

so far the car will cost 60 bucks once officer planck releases it. if the car has been searched already, they no longer have the need to hold it, as the apartment was released after seizure.

tim right now is going to the local butler newspapar, and i am contemplating countersuit against the BPD and the county. for one i get arrested on a circumstantial matter, then go on the road, and get arrested again when i come back, dealing with the same officers.

the whole event from the license branch to the search warrant, is all on tape, we got everything on tape tpo the point that anything further would have been confiscated, or tim would have been arrested for interfering with an investigation. suppose he could have filmed legally from across the street, but you know these cops, they probably would have exercised their discretion to have the camera confiscated for evidence. so tim played it "safe" for that one.

keep tuned, this incident itself will be an example of the libertarian cause that tim represents, it will be an example, i am goint to release all of my court and legal documents to tim for use on this project.

this has gone too far it will see its day in court :burnout:

after everthing is said and done get out and move away ,even out of state , start over

so jim, when can i move in? :)

if alleyboy gets his pole barn lined up, i may consider doing that. i like butler, i just dont like it in this county...

Well, the Trashwagon is back in Fox's hands, we did some baja'in Sunday afternoon for the documentary (some rough stuff, too...could've used a skidplate out there...)

We shot over 40 hours of footage; I'll be editing almost full-time thru May and will hopefully have the finished product ready for the May meet in Butler.

As for the latest law enforcement debacle, currently, Capt. Planck said if we can get the real culprit of the pot smoking to fess up, they'll drop the charges. He knows who he is...we all know who he is...it's just a matter of time and honor. So, here's hoping it works out.

Also, the Butler PD still have tapes 33, 34, and 35, but since they don't even know what DV is let alone have a deck to play them, they will give them back if I dub VHS copies for them. This, unfortunately, couldn't be wrangled during the weekend and will necessitate another 12-hour round trip drive down from Milwaukee, possibly next weekend, to acommodate.

Other Subaru news from Butler. After we wrapped taping, we poked around with their EA82 sedan that had been sitting since January. Turns out it was just a bad fuse. So, the Butler boys have three, running, noisy Subarus to harass the police with. That, and the "Pigz Go Home" sign in their window, which has a direct sightline to the police station half a block down the street from their apartment. When I head down to dub the tapes we may repaint the sedan.

Also, acting on McBrat's lead, we found two awesome EA81 projects in the McBrat, Iowa area for $100 apiece (an '84 turbo 4wd wagon and a fully loaded '84 GL10 sedan) which we'll try to acquire during the Iowa meet. In connection to this, I'll have to pester Shawn to hang on to that beige EA81 parts wagon for a little longer...

-Tim Hansen

th4e po-lice have been giving us hell, ticketing our cars for parking in the street, and all the "pigz go home" signs all over town. im not going out like that. see them in court

too bad it all had to end like this..............................

This sounds like a line from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" - right before they charge the entire Bolivian Army. Hope the results aren't the same.

Keep in mind the old song "I fought the law and the law won...."

th4e po-lice have been giving us hell, ticketing our cars for parking in the street, and all the "pigz go home" signs all over town. im not going out like that. see them in court

Come on, now, Fox. Don't agitate until you're in the clear. Did you boys get those statements turned in today? The sooner the better. It's so easy to clear your name on this one. You don't need this heat now.

-Tim Hansen

tim, the more thay act on this "aggravation" the more they are setting themselves up. from my perspective in the police station this morning, i think they realize that they are going too far, i bet the tickets dissapear?

but anyways, they DID write tickets, a total of 2 parking tickets and 3 infractions, matt, danny, and don(the sedan), as well as myself. so since we do have these tickets, we will present them to a lawyer. i have taken a log for each occurrence, and each of my visits with the police station, to show a timeline. i think the police didnt expect us to be so on top of this like we are.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on the situation; I've been going through the tapes and we've had some dropout issues. Might be the tapes, might be an issue with the camera, but the entire McBrat episode is just about useless. I'm not too concerned; the narrative needs condensing anyway. Also, in reviewing the tapes, guess what? The return to Butler is on tape 32, which I have.

So, the cops have twenty minutes of me interviewing Matt & Heather, the BMV thing, and two hours of themselves.

Which, in a new twist, they will not allow me access to without permission from the DeKalb County Prosecutor.

So, Miles, which prosecutor is on your case? Also, what's up with the Iowa Subarus?

-Tim Hansen