Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip II: TrashWagon's RETURN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have in my posession now a TRASHWAGON 5. did some "light" baja'n, broke some stuff, things fell off. but a bad ground and a blown fuse later, we are in sound shape to make our way home

so far we have almost 4000 miles behind us, about 5-700 to go, we are chillin at the "eyesore" i tell you his wagon and my wagon go hand in hand among the same caliber. he even had a "honk if anything falls off" , just as mine has.

the trashwagon ran out of gas a few times, it took the 3rd time to realize the gauge was not accurate, it runs out when the needle is right above the red. dont worry, the 3 gas jugs i had were stowed on top, and my electric siphon kit saved the day. took lots of pics at each stop, not to mention over 25 hors of footage. we still have another 25 hours of footage left to burn,...

the car is in sound shape, i had to replace the fuel filter, as it was done in from the faulty gas tank. i fixed the bulb in the fog lights at a burger king, got a nice sideways drift for the camera in the parking lots. now i dont have any fog lights from catching air in the sand pit here in iowa.

all is good, no conflicts. although we did get pulled over in the same town we met the trashwagon, it was the RX this time, for a license plate frame that partially covered the "indiana" on the plate

it looks like we will be heading thru the rest of iowa thursday. so if you mcbrat or shawn w woul;d like us to stop by, let us know when so we can pace ourselves accordingly

so what happened? ......................................................................

Miles, Danny, Zanny and Tim:

Great to hear things went a lot smoother than last time around. You're almost home, and this story has got to have a happy ending, so hang in there... just a little bit longer.

I have always had faith in you guys, and I'm glad to see that your rescue mission was (will be) a success!! You proved something to yourselves - if not everyone else.

good luck, and I hope to see you guys in C-Bus real soon

John

yeah so far we have made good time, and are making steady progress. Despite a few setbacks!

One flat front, replaced with spare, to realize it had a broken belt, swapped it with the back tire and replaced it at archemites place, thanks for the tires.

we ran out of fuel on the interstate pushing the gauge. rocked the car for another 1.5-2 miles, spittin and sputterin. Miles, Zanny, and I pushed the car for about a 1/4 mile or more. Tim filmed the experience.

Cruisin down the interstate in wyoming we lost the last two thirds of the RX exhaust. the pipe ends now under the shifter, turbo's really aren't that lound tho.

Upon getting the T.W.5 shortly afterwords we were pulled over (Zanny d. Tim H. in the RX). The Police approached the tw(Miles and I) and asked why we were stopped too. We explained the road trip and the circumstances of two cars. I was DRIVING trashwagon5, and was also the only one of the four of us who was searched. No citations issued.

Ran out of gas in the trashwagon a couple two times. The gauge was the issue.

Finally we changed a t.w. tire, for safe measures.

We hit up chef tim twice, he has the subaru hook up while pimpin a PHAT Hatch. He was really a cool check point.

Archemities was da bomb hooking it up on parts, as well as a needed "checkpoint". The trips seem more fun when your not going strait through non-stop. e.g.(fuel,RestRooms)

we are currently at eyesore's crib, resting up.

We should be home thursday/friday evening/morning.

We have covered 4300mile so far, in a RX 2wd diff lock, 3 four-lugz, and one 14in. five-lug on the drivers side rear. I have the rear axles in the smugglers box, to preserve the LSD. Only about another 700 mile to go. We are so close we can taste it.

and Oh yeah, I just installed a vacuum guage, on the turbo. Since the stock boost light is always stuck on, it kinda acts as a reverse boost gauge, showing fuel economy/throttle position.

Well keep you posted.

I whould say everything is going pretty smoothly, we are making good time even though we have been making alot of stops, which is cool because they are needed,and everybody is getting along for the most part, Tim is getting some great footage, But the highlight to me is that I know now how to drive stick, I had some problems at first, it took me a little while taking off but got that under control, Im getting the hang of down shifting other than that no problems. The Rx is pretty easy to drive,I like it becuse I can just sit back and chill, The trashwagon is little more trickie and thats only because its half put to gether, Miles says im doing pretty good exept I roll through stops onse in a while, Myoss and I been doing alot of the driving and we are puting a lot of miles under our belts. We really have not got much sleep. this stop at eyesores is well needed.

Thanks for everyone who put us up for the night, and hooked it up on some grub, chef tim,vickaroo, thanks for the KFC,and the showers, that was needed I was starting to smell the stench of fyost (fee-yo-st)

Zanny Dook (chewbacca)

MADE IT HOME with one problem, MOM was waiting in the doorway, telling me I should have been home 2 hours ago, told her i'm sorry......

I love that cruise control

shower has been fixed

it was a great time hang'n out at eyesore, free food, deebo

I am the proud owner of trashwagon7, REBO

we will be leaving from eyesore here in a few, weare going down state road 141 to des moines to visit McBrat. along the way to mcbrat i will call Shawn to schedule a visit after mcbrat. we have all of the day to stop by, and we can haul all night to indiana, about 8-10hrs away from shawn

the crew just left my place at 6:00 PM, armed with a phone number for a guy locally selling a 83 turbo wagon, and a 84 gl-10 sedan for cheap!

then they'll be heading towards Shawn, another 2 hours east....

they also left with a few extra parts from my garage...

good time. great to meet other board members....

12:50 AM update...

They keep edging their way across the country toward home and stopped by for a few hours. Was nice meeting them. A few small parts were snagged off the parts car and hopefully more later too.

Thanks for stopping guys.

Just called Tim and MilesFox answerd. They are about 10 miles from home and rolling strong. Sounds like they will have a little welcome home party for trashwagon 6 :)

Good seeing you guys up here in MN. Will see yall at the Iowa meet!

Peace

yeah, mcbrat was cool, thanks a lot it really helped. sorry i couldnt use the axle, but it was appreciated.

those cars we saw for sale, 84 ea81t wagon, and a 84 gl-10 sedan, were in complete shape, been off the road for 10 years and such.

we got home all in one piece. only to catch 2 felonies and have the car confiscated. camera in the license branch WHAT? i think they wanted to get into the apartment instead.