Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Put transmission in by your loansome...

A whole lot of wrestling that thing around and a whole bunch of swearing, and about a pack of smokes. Thats what it took to get a NP435 and 205 transfer case into a 77 f-150 whaen I had to do the clutch in that thing years ago.

I don't find it to be that hard.

I lifted the front of the trans up and set it on the xmember, then got the floor jack under the rear of the trans. Once up in place, make sure the trans is in gear, and slip the rear driveshaft in so you can turn the gears to get it lined up with the engine, and slip it in. These aren't all that heavy transmissions, so they can be man-handled fairly easily.

Yeah, I've had to do with a floor jack.

As was mentioned by Speedwagon, just heft the front onto the X-member

and lift the back with a floor jack.

Make sure the jack is securely wedged or hooked on something to keep it or

the tranny from sliding backward.

It also helps if you have the tranny mounting plate attached so all you have to

do is bolt it up to keep it from falling on your head.

Then the maneuvering can be done after the X-member is attached.

Twitch

If you can safely get the car up high enough, a transmission adapter for your jack will be the easiest way. The hardest part is getting the trans onto the adapter platform if you have to do all of that under the car, but it's easier than installing the transmission without the jack adapter.

something to help lift it through the engine bay is nice. engine lift with some chain snaked down through to the trans.

coming out is the easy part...really quick and easy. getting it back in is the fun part.

a trans adapter would be nice and i'll probably get one if it ever comes down to doing a trans swap again.

I was able to get the transmission on the floor jack and slowly work my way up to the engine..couple tweaks here and there and I got it started on the locating studs.Then was able to jack the rear of the transmission a bit.Then I used the long bots off the top to draw the engine/transmission together..

so much simpler to talk about it with out the couple hours of manhandling/wresting the transmission to go in..

Now I just have a few small stuff to take care of-clutch cable,speedo cable,and driveshaft/carrier bearing..and fluid.

Which brings me to the next part,How much of what kind of oil does a 5 speed DR take.

it been a while sense ive had to put gear oil in anything.I recently rebuilt a transmission but rather than use gear oil I filled it full to the brim(clear to the top of the transmission through the shifter hole) with 30 wt engine oil.The lighter weight oil actually can lubricate the the worn synchros better than the gear oil because the gear oil won't flow into the synchros...Thats for a mazda B2200 transmission.

However I will get 3 Qts of hypoid gear oil..

I have 6 ton jackstands (for the height) and a transmission jack from Harbor Frieght ($80). Works excelent. I've done more than I care to remember.

Before I had my current setup my procedure was to block the front of the trans in stages while supporting the back with a rope through the shifter hole in the tunnel - wrap it around the tail section and slam the loose end in the door. Then block up the front of the trans or have someone hold it while you slide under and bench-press it into place. Hated doing them but I did a lot that way before buying my current gear. No question it's easier now. Still a lot of moving around and always a bit of fighting to get them lined up and slid into the pilot bearing.

If you have an engine hoist then use that to pick up the front of the trans and the rope to pick up the rear then slide under and manuever it around. The inexpensive tranny jack is much better though as you have height and angle control from under the car - beats moving around to all the posistions to line everything up using the rope/hoist methods.

GD

For $80 they are a worthwhile investment if you are planning to work on Subaru's or even other vehicles in the future. That can be a lot of money for a one-time job but I bet for $20 or less you could rent one for the day at any rental place - probably be a nicer unit too.

In any case, a full set of the 6 ton jack stands from harbor freight is almost a must to drop out a tranny without a lift. You need the height and even with them I still have to turn the tranny on it's side while it's on the tranny jack to get it to roll under the engine cross-member.

Oh - and invest in some kitty litter or dry sweep. There's almost no getting around spilling a bit of gear oil. I have a driveline end from an EA81 that I slip on to the tailshaft of Subaru transmissions to keep the gear oil in.

GD