Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Really, how many started a ej swap and never finished it

bheinen74

how many took a perfectly good and reliable older gen, decided to start a ej swap, and never got it done, so now you are sitting with a pile of parts, and a non driveable car, and how much money is into it?

and, now you wish you left all enough alone?

It took me about a year, but I was determined to get it running. My hatch had only 114,000 miles on it and ran great. I did feel a little like a knob having sit in my driveway not running for a year, but I think that's what I used to fuel my determination to get the thing running and driving.

Funny, now it's sitting in my driveway again all torn apart waiting for an AWD conversion. Oh, projects. Why can't I leave them alone.

Well, I hydrolocked the EA82 in my wagon, so it kind of forced the issue. I had the engine swapped in in a weekend, but the wiring wasn't finished. I needed the car so I stuffed the partially stripped harness under the dash. With enough force and zipty's it fit. The bundle 'O harness caught fire 2 years later from being pinched by the gas pedal, I just pulled the torched wires apart and taped them. It's still working now, though I don't drive the car due to rust and it's on the chopping block for being stripped this month.

So, I techinally never finished the EJ swap. I drove it for 4 years, took it to wyoming and back, (showed Russ the swap while I was out there) blew 3 transmissions, 4 rear diffs, piles of axles, and 1.5 EJ22's in that time, so it worked out pretty good.

i've been working on mine for 3 years now... granted, it's not just an ej swap, and i've been a bit busy with school... now that i've graduated (i think...?), i'm hoping to get it moving again.

i MAY have ruined the engine having it sit for so long. we'll see...

as of right now, it's not finished... but it will be! :rolleyes:

Hahahaha, funny Rob:lol:

I'm into mine quite a bit but in the overall car, not just the EJ swap. I'll be working on it more this weekend and figure out WTF is going on with my harness. Basically, everything mechanical is done minus some radiator brackets, fans and a few odd-n-ends.

Then I get to tear it all back apart:eek:

Buying some fun parts to make it MOAR BETTAR!:banana:

i'm in on mine about a year into the actual labor part. Took about 2 years of gathering parts and then about 3 months to get them installed, and now its been sitting for a year because i cant figure out whats wrong with it. But it will get going soon I hope.

i'm in on mine about a year into the actual labor part. Took about 2 years of gathering parts and then about 3 months to get them installed, and now its been sitting for a year because i cant figure out whats wrong with it. But it will get going soon I hope.

Wrenchfest!

If we get enough heads and hands there to help you, it might just be running by WCSS time.

Just my 2 bucks

I'm considering doing two swaps simultaneously (a Hatch EJ20G and a Wagon EJ22) at least I could contemplate having engine mounts etcetera welded up in small serial production :grin:

Still waiting for spouse's green light though :-\

I'll bet you'll have it going if you have a good DMM and a new thread. Mine took testing everything under the hood, redoing the tbelts, then finding the power problem. We narrowed it down pretty far and pulled a temp power wire, used a wire nut as the switch for the switched power, straight from the battery and bam! FIRE! I pulled start power from the black ignition wire for switched power, realizing it was hot switched too,and not firing the starter, as the blue? wire was dropping to 9v during cranking and was just shy the 10v needed for the ecu. So everything was right but I didnt have 'just enough' juice.

I think we all could start this car with you being the hands and eyes and the "computer" being the brains.

The collective power of the USMB is amazing!

• 5 weeks later...

I started a swap. Am gathering parts now...really trying to find a job to afford parts. Graduated from OSU (GO BEAVERS) and now I am sitting around my house taking apart an EJ22 and stripping my 92 gold legacy.

I have extra parts (side effects of scrapping cars). rear EJ22 diff, rear half shafts, doors, windows (minus windshield), AWD fivespeed, rear hatch, tan interior... My house has a line of three Subaru wagons along the side of it. Funny.

Just started the swap and need money so it's at a stand still...all the parts are so easy to find all you need is some time to research and some cash or cars to part out and trade in order to get the right parts and know what to do.

I have an EJ... Just sitting in the yard right now... It's been around for 3months or so.

I've been having trouble finding Gaskets to rebuild it. It came w/o an ECU or wiring harness, but that is almost taken care of...

The car it is going into is going to get lifted at the same time. So i guess this is the parts gathering phase, If that is considered a "started" swap... then about 3 or 4 months :D

• 2 weeks later...

i started acquiring parts to ej and 5 lug swap my brat. its been sitting in the driveway since 07. i got sick of trying to figure out the ea81 and the carb on it, so its been sitting there under a car cover for the last few years waiting for me to get the rest of the parts to do something with it. ive also beentrying to find someone on the east coast that would be willing to help me out, but then again, ive been busy with too many other projects in the last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I started mine (84 gl) a little over a year ago. Swapped in a PS rack, new clutch, resealed my 2.2 and got it put in. Had custom PS lines done, got 1/2 way through dialing in the AC and have most of the parts I need . Bought a house, added tons of projects to my list, ran out of time and money and gave up. My mine was made up, it had to go. A buddy of mine wanted it and was just waiting for a good day to come check it out. He wrecked his motorcycle, no med ins and had to have surgery on his collar bone....no deal. Kinda put it all out of mind till a few days ago. I'm recovering from knee surgery(#6), can't do much, so I started browsing the forum again and WHAM, I'm back on the project. Gonna skip all the details like AC for now and just get it running.

• 7 months later...
how many took a perfectly good and reliable older gen, decided to start a ej swap, and never got it done, so now you are sitting with a pile of parts, and a non driveable car, and how much money is into it?

and, now you wish you left all enough alone?

What pot are you trying to stir now?

I am swapping 5 lugs into my 86 3door, and will be converting to 4wd/full time with either an ej22 or, maybe, the er27 i have laying around. So far i have a harness, but no ej22 engine.

I did, however swap the 5 lugs into the rear with the 4wd parts. less the diff. This part is finished, and the car is now driveable with 5 lugs in the back, 4 lugs in the front, and FWD.

Not finished, but i can drive my car for the moment. next step is either a set of 23 spline doj's to use on the xt6 axles, or a full time 4wd trans, whichever comes first.

I do have the interior ripped out to combat rust. that is the status of my project, while drivable.

This is an unfinished ej-ej swap in a 95 impreza. In 2007 I got a twin turbo legacy motor, had the heads rebuilt, got single turbo exhaust manifolds & up/down pipe, turbo, intercooler, intake and lots of other bits. And for the last 3 years there its sits on a stand just about ready togo. Everytime I think about finishing it, gas goes up so I put it off so I can stick with the cheap gas.