XT v8?

rpholz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
so i have a 86 XT DL that i recently pulled the motor out of with the intentions of an ej22 swap.

now ej22s have been done so much. then i was thinking ej20g then i looked into my bank account and quickly realized THAT'S not going to happen:lol:

so what do you guys think of a smallblock v8 put in there? i can find them cheap all day long. throw in a sube rear end, 302, 350 motor or whatever mated with a turbo 350/400 or again whatever bolts to the motor. a simple 4bbl carb, some fancy exhaust and whalla, an awsome wtf? car!

now i reallize the need for beefer springs up front and lack of handling but who cares? my 89 gets good milage and is fun to drive, so i just want to do something off the wall with this car.

so whatcha guys think? doable or stupid idea?

thanks,

_Ryan

Mid engine, RWD: 427 Cammer.

Anything less is for little school girls.

could rock the Taurus SHO V8, some models were V6 but a few years came with an 8, I believe a 3.6? maybe 3.2, but either way you should be able to either make it FWD-FTL or swap a rear drive ford tranny to it and make it RWD-FTW

Oh, and good luck with the educations, and the Corps, This week I'm expecting a call from my recruiter, Coastie Reserves, hard to argue with being stationed 30 minutes from home.

Mid engine, RWD: 427 Cammer.

Anything less is for little school girls.

Now that is funny sh**!

The one truly manageable V-8 option is ging to be a 215 buick. Lightweight, buildable for either supercharger or NOS. Will run down the road nicely in N/A form as well. A 9" ford rear axle from a early falcon or mustang that is around 53" would easily handle the power without modification. A power glide trans for durability and BIG burnouts.

Edited by Qman

• 4 weeks later...

The V8 SHO was a 3.4 liter and came in the 1996-1999 SHO. If you get one, make sure the cams have been welded, since that was a weak point.

I think the rotary would be your best bet. I have an RX8, and I tell you what, no engine I've ever been stuck to has been as smooth, sounded as cool, or revved as high (in a car). Plus the power to weight ratio of your vehicle wouldn't be lost, and could improve the FR weight distribution.

i just see so many EJ convertions and EA rebuilds. i just want to be like "F you ive got a V8!" lol. kinda like a novelty car i suppose...

Well... I've Seen here in my Country, a Couple of Subaru Loyales with Toyota 22R Engine Swap!

But in YouTube I've Seen a Legacy Runnin' with a 305 V8!

See:

Kind Regards.

There are some very small V-8's around

http://www.roadcarvin.com/hartley-enterprises-v8

Or better yet, a large V-6

4.3 vortec would work awesome. A stock 4.3 actually puts outs more HP then a 2 barrel 350 and theres loads of room for mods. idk about where you like but in Idaho decent 4.3s are practically a dime a dozen. if you do decide to go V8 id like to see a diesel even though the weight would be insane and would require A LOT of work. then again 40 mpg out of a very fast car sounds cool.

• 3 weeks later...
4.3 vortec would work awesome. A stock 4.3 actually puts outs more HP then a 2 barrel 350 and theres loads of room for mods. idk about where you like but in Idaho decent 4.3s are practically a dime a dozen. if you do decide to go V8 id like to see a diesel even though the weight would be insane and would require A LOT of work. then again 40 mpg out of a very fast car sounds cool.

I like the 4.3 idea. Less weight than a V8, and quite a bit of room to get more out of it in torque and horsepower.

The '91 GMC Sonoma ST I had, (then Rich owned, was the one he got burnt in), was awesome.

I got it from the 2nd owner, and they had done work on the auto trans to make it shift "nicer", as in "not slam into the next gear". Damned thing would still roast the tires thru all gears into drive, and then some. You definetly didn't want to have your foot into the go pedal going around a curve and have it shift gears, you were instanly sideways. And it was a basic stock motor, nothing fancy that we found during the rebuild of it.

Always said the ST on the side of it stood for "Spins Tires".

Member on here did that. He has a thread about it, somewhere on here.

Has a motorcycle engine/trans under the hood if I 'members correctly.

I just found this. no idea how he did it or if its even safe but it seems cool in a crazy redneck kind of way.

Edited by TomRhere

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea, late model ls1 gm engine. Aluminum block and heads, available in a wide range of displacements and power ranges. They came in a wide variety of vehicles from corvettes, camaros, firebirds, gto's, caddilacs, and trucks. Lightweight v-8 (not as light as a H-4), widely available engine. There is also a great book out there on swapping those motors into a variety of chassies. I remember seeing swaps into jaguar, bmw, volvo, several others I don't recall now. I didn't buy the book but it was great reading. Use the gm trans, rear diff, hmm, that one may be tough, corvette, or gto independent rear suspension and shorten the axles to fit under the soob? Possibly late model Ford explorer rear (also IRS). Either way it's going to get expensive. I like the idea of a JDM twin turbo swap. Might actually be cheaper than some of the other options.

Hmm, wasn't this thread about putting a V8 into a Subaru? Did I miss something? Hey, I get it. Maybe some are purists. The aluminum v8 buick idea was put out there earlier. I mentioned the ls series motors because they are available in an aluminum block and the aluminum buick motors are getting harder to find (and more expensive).