Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Commuter: Subaru Justy?

Hey everyone, now that the Leg Wagon is going to be out of commission for a while, I am looking for a cheap commuter. Yes, it has to be a Soob!:grin: I am either looking at getting a EA82 or Subaru Justy. I would love to get a Justy just because I havent owned one yet and would love to have the 3-cyl MPG. Dont know much about them though and wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on which way to go. Justy or EA82? My new job is alot of distance commuting. I could be driving to Bellevue one week and Chehalis the next. Thanks for all info!

tacoma pull a part regularly has available parts for both of those cars. i love my loyale but id love to have a justy.........you could always put a 13b in that beezy and haul the mail or keep the rpms low and save gas. or, drive the 3 cyl and destroy gas mileage.

bottom line: if its strictly for commuting, justy. if your gonna use it for anything else, go ea82 and tune up/t belts

RV

tacoma pull a part regularly has available parts for both of those cars. i love my loyale but id love to have a justy.........you could always put a 13b in that beezy and haul the mail or keep the rpms low and save gas. or, drive the 3 cyl and destroy gas mileage.

bottom line: if its strictly for commuting, justy. if your gonna use it for anything else, go ea82 and tune up/t belts

RV

+1. I completely agree. If its gonna be for more than just commuting id go ea82

Ryan

EA82's make great long distance/commuting vehicles if well maintained.

get the ebay timing belt kits with all new pulleys and belts. new water pump, reseal the front of the engine and a solid tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and you're on your way to a lot easy low maintenance miles.

still a 20 year old car so you're going to have brakes and old rubber hoses and clogged radiators to think about too.

i would avoid the justy personally, i don't think it's necessarily a "high mileage" kind of vehicle but i could be wrong.

The Justy's have a bad tendancy to eat oil pumps and end up with rod knocks.

They have that really aweful CTV transmission in the automatic's (avoid like the plauge).

Ultimately, if you can find one in really excelent condition that's been run with synthetic and/or has had the oil pump replaced regularly - then they can be an ok choice. Parts availibility is not the best.

Ultimately - we all know how much distaste I have for the EA82's - yet I would pick one every day over the Justy. At least with the EA82 you can always put in an EA81 or an EJ.

GD

I have had two justys. Both GREAT cars. One was an 89 that was my wifes

first car, the other a 92 I think. They were both two doors and manuals

with the push button 4wd. Didnt get really great mileage, about 32 to 35

mpg. But they both had a LOT of nuts, considering only three cyl. The only

problem I had was a lost cone washer on the rear cv shaft, and then I over

tightened the main nut. Which weakend it and ultimately broke it. The CV

shaft was a bugger to get. Had to pull a part one. Other than that both

cars had over 200k both cars ALL original, even the clutch. I found them to

be great little cars, but I also like the metros too, so you might consider me

a little biased. I beat the hell out of them too. Any where from a 50 mile

round trip commute to 100 miles round trip. Then weekends up on the forest

roads, shooting, hunting, camping, exploring.

Just my opinion,

Mike:)

Hmmm....This is going to be a harder decision than I thought! :lol: I am leaning more towards the EA82 now that I am reading your posts because I am also thinking ahead about winter and what kind of issues I will have to get through to get to work(snow and what-not). I also miss my old 86 GL Wagon. Decisions, decisions.....

I really do appreciate all of the input I am getting though!

Edited by SubieDaddy80

One of the reason I like my ea82 wagon is because it's not as wide as the legacy. My previous DD was a 1985 Toyota MR2, and I DD'ed it for 4 years straight. And I kinda drive my ea82 like the MR2, because it's just about as wide as the MR2, just a little longer. So I can pull into parking spaces easily and get around town and not have to worry about having a "big" car. I really like that.

I also love the interior of the ea82's. It's super simple, and everything is within a fingers reach while driving. I really like the layout. Simple but yet informative. I also like having all the gauges that you get with an ea82, most of the time. Having oil pressure and voltage readings come in really handy when driving around a 20 year old car. The engine leaves a lot to be desired, but everything else about it I like it... Just my .02

I've been giving my Outback a break from the 140 mile round trip commutes and re-comissioned my '89 touring wagon. It's bone-stock except for the 15" peugeot wheels and Bridgestone Turanza tires.

I feel much more comfortable driving the EA82 to be honest, even if the Outback is actually the safer car. The EA82 is much more manueverable and seems to be easier to rev-match when downshifting. I have ALOT of trouble getting it right with the Outback, as a matter of fact I have so much trouble I gave up haha. The only drawback is the seats but that's not a permanent none-fixable problem. Not to mention the EA82 is WAY funner to drive. Handles awesome with the pugs and you can just tell by the feel of the car it's much lighter. Not to mention 33.5 mpg as opposed to an even 30. The EA82 has enough pep to get along. The Outback of course is more desireable if you're a more agressive driver, but if you just want a cheap car that will take a beating and is easy to find parts for the EA82 is an excellent choice. And like GD said, you could always swap in an EJ22 or EA81.

I say go for the EA82, I think you'd enjoy it more and get more use out of it.

EDIT: I just now realize that this post is pretty much useless because I have no experience with Justys whatsoever. And furthermore, I am comparing an EA82 to an EJ22 Outback.

Edited by Subaru_dude

The Justy's have a bad tendancy to eat oil pumps and end up with rod knocks.

They have that really aweful CTV transmission in the automatic's (avoid like the plauge).

Ultimately, if you can find one in really excelent condition that's been run with synthetic and/or has had the oil pump replaced regularly - then they can be an ok choice. Parts availibility is not the best.

Ultimately - we all know how much distaste I have for the EA82's - yet I would pick one every day over the Justy. At least with the EA82 you can always put in an EA81 or an EJ.

GD

Oil pump issue - there are two ways that is avoided, actually three. One is reduce the oil change interval from 7500 miles to 3000 ,iles. The 2nd is an aftermarket oil pressure gauge as the switch is set at 4psi, which by them mean hello rodknock. The 4th is to increase the oil volume. Htis is optional but an external filter adds 1qt to a 3 qt system.

CVT - it is really a basic and simple transmission to work on. People just did not know how to drive them. First is wait for the car to stop before switching from R to D to R. This is how the transmission hub gets torn up. There is a setting on the Sgifter called DS, this is used for driving in traffic or desceneding step hills. It also makes the car go like hell off the line. It is a shift on the fly thiing. Regularly change the tranny fluid with fluid meant for DVT transmissions. Finally the last thing that people think is the transmission failre is the brake switch and the gas pedal switch being out of adjustment.

The 5 speeds just go. The 4wd system is very basic

All parts except for an exhaust hanger and the exhaust pipes are available at Dussty's Justys or Rock Auto. Subaru actually still carries parts for them. Struts are expensive.

When new it had the highets power to weight ratio of any car in its class. It passed all crash tests (and if you worry about that kind of thing) runs extreemly clean.

There are many CVTs and Other justys that have made it over the 100K mark and higher. People use them for long road trips as they are not underpowered. All CVT parts are available, and you can still get a rebuilt tranny from subaru. Rebuilt engine blocks and engines are available.

1st year for fuel injection was 1990. This is called the 2nd generation, but physically it is the same as the 1st generation. 2nd generation AC was availble. As any car of that vintage road salt is not their freind. Surprisingly it is a well built little car, and was the most expensive little car of it time.

Unless you luck out on a little gem like i did, they seem to be located in the PNW with the odd one here and there. Generally if they have lasted till now they are in poretty good shape.

I have been working on my Justy for a while now and they are great little go-carts. However, if you get one, plan on doing some work on it and probably a simple mod or two. Nipper came up with a good modification for increasing oil volume.

They have an I3, so they don't get benefits of the H4 that we are all familiar with. Most of them only have five digit odometers and people tend to insist that their 20 year old Justy only has 29,000 original miles or whatever. They get 30-35 mpg not the 40 that people advertise, and people tend to ask too much for them in my opinion. Parts are harder to get than ea82s, but they are out there. They were sold in the US from 87 to 94. 89-94 are Gen IIs, but 89's and some 90's are carbed. I would recommend a Gen II because they have symetrical front axles. The 87-88s have different length front axles. 87's only came in 2WD. I am not trying to talk you out of one, but those are some of the main points to know.

The ea82 can probably come close to the Justys mpg, but not as easily depending on how you drive. They are probably more maintenance free than the Justy.

I like my Justy, but I got into it planning on doing a lot of work to it. They are cool cars in a fun novel sort of way. But if you just want a dependable car that will mostly just need regular maintenance then definately go for the ea82. A Justy would be dependable also, but most likely more work initially. An ea82 would also be much easier to EJ.

I like my Justy, but I got into it planning on doing a lot of work to it. They are cool cars in a fun novel sort of way. But if you just want a dependable car that will mostly just need regular maintenance then definately go for the ea82. A Justy would be dependable also, but most likely more work initially. An ea82 would also be much easier to EJ.

Same here. Yes mine has a documented 30K on it, and let me tell you, the way the front brakes were fused as one larger peice of metal, flaked paint, and the foulest gasoline I have ever smelled, I can ceritify it sat for 5 years.

And yes oh goody I have another mid-year car. i do like how it honestly sit 4 people and still able to move out of its own way :)

I think the MPG just depends on how heavy you are with the skinny pedal.

Edited by nipper

Start with Justy's Dustys. The man is great with Justys, fair, will give advice. There is a Justy board but they are not the er um .... er ... lets say the warmest people unless you live in the PNW.

http://www.dustysjustys.com/home.htm

The big failure on the CVT seems to be the main drum spilts. The repair that seems to be working is simply weld it back together :)

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/

i would use proboard only as a refernce. They have questions there that no one bothers to answer ever. i do not understand that. It is also a poorly written site as you do not get notices of anything.

Well.... I've owned both, and I loved both of them. The Justy is a little peppier car in town, but lacks top speed for the highway (4000rpm by 70mph, though I regularly take it to 5k while accelerating). That being said, I've done highway trips (1100 miles or so) in the Justy, and it's not that bad. Gets about 38mpg (41 best ever) on the highway. More like 31 to 35 commuting (my commute is mountain driving -- no traffic or stop and go, but hard accelerating and cornering for 25 miles up, and I drive the c*** out of it on the mountain roads). That's about 8mpg better highway, and 7 to 10mpg better mountain mpg than the SPFI EA82 wagon. 4wd is great -- but the lack of a low range is a problem in deep snow... it'll stall the engine before it looses traction if you have good studded snows on there. Mine is a 5 speed, so I don't know about the ECVT... I avoid all automatic transmissions because I can't generally stand to drive them, regardless of their longevity or not. I've been told that the Justy engine is a 150k mile engine, like 70's V8 engines... not a 300k mile engine like an EJ series or 70's straight 6 engine. I got a rebuilt one put in mine when I bought it, so I'm only 15k on the rebuild. It's alot of fun to drive... handles like a little tiny go cart, and I have taken it on ATV trails (I thought it was a jeep trail, till I realized that most jeeps aren't 8 inches narrower than my car...). Going from the Justy to a Legacy feels like you are driving a boat. I need to get my Justy back on the road now (bear broke the side window, and the suspension needs some help from hauling too much heavy stuff) because I just took a job that's an hour and 15 minute commute each way... the 4 liter ford ranger is not going to cut that...

As for the EA82.... I don't hate them that much (aside from one lemon I had). Yeah, the timing belts need to be changed more often than anyone (including me) does, and they blow head gaskets if you overheat them (as will almost anything that's not cast iron heads on a cast iron block...). I loved my '89 wagon, and still wonder if I should have gotten rid of it in favor of an EJ22 Impreza (which is giving me more trouble so far than the EA82 did till the very end when it lost one cylinder at 240k (chipped valve).

Edited by zyewdall

I've owned a justy and it just doesn't comepair with the other subarus I own sure its a little easier on gas than a 80s GL wagon but is pretty much a geo metro they share alot of the same parts (junkyards interchange manual) and they don't hold up to much abuse at all not when comepaired to a normal subaru if I were driving a hour to hour and haft to work every day I would get a non turbo 3 door or XT 2wd swap in a ea81 2wd 5spd tranny (3.70 final drive with .725 high gear) you have more leg room get the same gas mileage more power and more reliable and if you go for the 3 door you can easily swap in an ea81 using the spfi the car already has a make the thing almost bulletpoof

most people don't need 4wd everyday so you can keep the miles off that lifted brat or wagon and just use it for the snow

Edited by 84gl

Start with Justy's Dustys. The man is great with Justys, fair, will give advice. There is a Justy board but they are not the er um .... er ... lets say the warmest people unless you live in the PNW.

http://www.dustysjustys.com/home.htm

The big failure on the CVT seems to be the main drum spilts. The repair that seems to be working is simply weld it back together :)

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/

i would use proboard only as a refernce. They have questions there that no one bothers to answer ever. i do not understand that. It is also a poorly written site as you do not get notices of anything.

Hey now nipper. I will admit that proboards has a disporportionate amount of punks, tourists, and arm-chair experts, but there are good people on there with good advice. I don't know why the hell that guy had a problem with your oil cooler set-up. He posts like once a year, but don't summarily judge everyone else. There's less than 1,200 people on that forum. USMB has over 20,000 last time I checked. Just because a question isn't answered doesn't mean members are disrespecting you. Not all forums can be like the USMB. If anything we could use more solid adults like you to help set the tone and lead by example. Don't let the children get the best of you by personally banishing proboards and publicly dis-ing the one serious Justy forum. {Hijack not intended}

Hey now nipper. I will admit that proboards has a disporportionate amount of punks, tourists, and arm-chair experts, but there are good people on there with good advice. I don't know why the hell that guy had a problem with your oil cooler set-up. He posts like once a year, but don't summarily judge everyone else. There's less than 1,200 people on that forum. USMB has over 20,000 last time I checked. Just because a question isn't answered doesn't mean members are disrespecting you. Not all forums can be like the USMB. If anything we could use more solid adults like you to help set the tone and lead by example. Don't let the children get the best of you by personally banishing proboards and publicly dis-ing the one serious Justy forum. {Hijack not intended}

Actually it wasnt just mine. i looked through the threads trying to research something, and there are quite a few that no one has answered. i wish they had an email notification system, which is really lacking. i have missed parts because of it.

i am INSULTED! how dare you call me a solid adult!

hehehe

maybe a gooey adult, or a semi solid adult....