Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can i out an xt6 clutch with a ea82t flywheel?

The step from the pressure plate mounting surface and the clutch surface is different from the two flywheels. the EA82 flywheel and the XT6 flywheel have a difference of .012", the XT6 being the shallower of the two. .825" VS .813"

Seems like the only detriment would be slightly, and I mean slightly, less clamping force and maybe premature slipping as it wears at the end of its life.

Have you ever seen .012"?

I miked my flywheel and with the machine work done I had a difference of .005".

I'm going to use it.

jay

my RX is too sportin a skip special.. although my 2wd turbo clutch slips if you romp on it when shifting.. if you shift, let it fully engage, then romp on it it doesn't slip at all..

go figure..

i'm waitin to see what Jules setup does since his flywheel was lightened more than mine.. if it doesn't slip then i know what needs to be done this summer.. otherwise my RX is smokin :) coolant that is, haha.. (small leak somewhere)

im thinking of using a beck arnley from napa, beck lists a different number for the, xt6, diff from trubo/4wd/turbo4wd all have different part # so i assume that they are different and better as you go up the scale, and i know that beck/arn makes good sh*t

called centerforce, they aint got ●●●●, and i know dealer wants 276 for an xt6 clutch, i can get the beck for 245, any opinions...

So,

If I understand the EA82-XT6 clutch issue it is that everything bolts up perfectly except that the XT6 clutch is .012" thinner than the standard EA82. To increase clamping force, the surface where the pressure plate mounts to the flywheel needs to be shaved. Is it possible to take the .012" off the pressure plate instead?

Skip?

As for clutch brands, I hear good things about Exedy. They only make OEM replacement style for pre-legacy/impreza Subarus (no racing clutches) but I have been told they beef them up about 15-20%. Using Exedy would also allow you to apply some big ricer style Exedy decals all over your car and not be called a poser.

The best price I've found is here

garner

• 1 year later...
So,

If I understand the EA82-XT6 clutch issue it is that everything bolts up perfectly except that the XT6 clutch is .012" thinner than the standard EA82. To increase clamping force, the surface where the pressure plate mounts to the flywheel needs to be shaved. Is it possible to take the .012" off the pressure plate instead?

Skip?

BUMP!!!

Aren't the clutch discs the same, pressure plate has the difference?

Skip has a lathe and can turn the flywheels down to any specs....BUT....18lbs is the lightest you can safely get one.

you will have to go to an aftermarket company to get one lighter...and most likely, no one is going to make one.

thats why I will likely get a Fidanza 9lb flywheel for Impreza and make it fit the EA82.