Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving in sand.

So I've never driven in sand before... Just moved from ME to NC and saw all the truck guys on the beach so I wanted to do it too...

I have a lifted GL with snow tires.... I believe the worst type of tire for a beach?

I put it in 4lo and drove onto the beach. It was some pretty soft sand right at the entrance, but I got to some harder stuff. It was going pretty well so I shifted into 2nd gear, that seemed like a bad idea! I almost completely stopped on the shift.... Got back into 1st.

Got my obligatory picture (a pretty bad one...), then went to turn around. Got completely stuck, fortunately I read not to spin the tires, but to back up first thing. That worked and a 4 point turn later, I was back toward the entrance. Up a slight hill spinning in the soft sand back to the road.

I can drive through 3' of snow, over rocks, through thick mud... But never tackled sand before. What should I know before I try it again so I don't make a fool of myself and lose my car?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've never driven in sand before... Just moved from ME to NC and saw all the truck guys on the beach so I wanted to do it too...

I have a lifted GL with snow tires.... I believe the worst type of tire for a beach?

I put it in 4lo and drove onto the beach. It was some pretty soft sand right at the entrance, but I got to some harder stuff. It was going pretty well so I shifted into 2nd gear, that seemed like a bad idea! I almost completely stopped on the shift.... Got back into 1st.

Got my obligatory picture (a pretty bad one...), then went to turn around. Got completely stuck, fortunately I read not to spin the tires, but to back up first thing. That worked and a 4 point turn later, I was back toward the entrance. Up a slight hill spinning in the soft sand back to the road.

I can drive through 3' of snow, over rocks, through thick mud... But never tackled sand before. What should I know before I try it again so I don't make a fool of myself and lose my car?

Get wide tires with aggressive tread, like a M/T or better some sidexside tires, I'd say at least a 10.5" wide. Air your tires down too, depending on what tire you have can depend on how much, but 15psi is a good starting point. I heard(I've never driven mine in sand, probably never will) these don't do well in the sand and it makes sense..it takes alot of torque to plow through sand.

air way down, you need the tire tread to bend/shape to the sand surface, not push hard down into the sand. So when you air down lots, the tire squishes and doesn't push down and into the sand. You float on top.

Make sure you take a portable 12v air compressor to air back up when you get back onto the parking lot.

I've driven in lots of sand with that very car!!! There are probably even some pics in my profile of it. I never had any issues. I know the tires I had were a little different though. I had a blast!

Yea, but this was really soft mushy sand... Not like what's in Maine.

Airing down would be good... I need a new compressor, my last one belched smoke.

One other thing I find key is to keep momentum, try not to stop if at all possible, and keep as fast as you can safely go because the faster you go the easier the car will stay on top of the sand as well. I take my OBS with stock tires in the sand and yea if I wanna hit 2nd I have to shift quick and do it almost redlined in 1st... I also didn't air down so that woulda helped but yea thats the best advice I could give too is low pressures and momentum... Like find yourself a spot where you know you can stop safely in the middle of where ur driving and if u run into trouble try and point for that spot.

It's the tires. Unless your engine isn't stock, the tire diameter will reduce your torque. Sand is pretty much the only offroad I do, as I live 50 miles from the sand dunes.

Air down as the others have said. Another good idea is to know an alternate route, if you're attempting a hill or something, no where to break off if you don't make it.

Sand conditions are a big complication too. If it's wet, compacted sand, you're pretty much golden, I've seen an Acura Integra far off the parking lot, in the sand. If it's nice dry, soft sand, that's another beast.

My friends brought their stock imprezas on the sand and over a seawall with no problem. It's awesome to see the truck guys' faces when an Impreza sedan or "station wagon" (Outback) goes flying by.

I've taken Ea81s, Ea82s, and my outback on the sand...I think the EA81s are the most fun.

Also, it helps to know the area. There's nothing like bombing off a 7 foot razorback.

Air down. Air down. Air down. ;)

Street tires are fine. Unless you have gobs of horsepower and can spin them really fast....... Aggressive tires will only dig you holes. I've seen some of the best dune action on slick aircraft tires. (The big dune buggy buses they use to give people rides run old aircraft tires and can go ANYWHERE out there.)

I pretty much grew up on sand dunes back in MI. Playing with various different toys. From bikes to Jeeps.

I generally air down to 15psi. And go to 10psi if I need it. (Any lower than that and you should have beadlocks, which is a bit much on most Soobs.)

I run out of horsepower long before I ever dig in and bury it in the GL.

Yea, but this was really soft mushy sand... Not like what's in Maine.

Airing down would be good... I need a new compressor, my last one belched smoke.

I'm tellin ya, it's the tires. I have been on beaches in NC and VA, and the sand I was in, was the same kind. Nice beach sand!! You definitely need momentum too, but I went right up over hills and everything, sand flying behind me!!

So I aired down and drove probably 40 beach miles yesterday. It went really well, I even drove through some thicker stuff and it handled great. 15psi seemed to work pretty well. Then I just aired back up on the ferry ride back. Thanks for the tips guys!

I got lots of good looks and stares from the big 4x4 truck guys :D

IMG_4099.JPG

That's how ya do it. :):burnout:

I'll generally go to 15. And if I really need it I can go to 10 as insurance. If you find you get stuck and are careful to catch it quick enough and stop with the skinny pedal. The extra 5 psi can most of the time be enough to drive out of the holes. (works on snow too)

Most of the time though I just see guys not giving up and burying it. Then they need a pull....... If it stops on sand and the tires are still turning, you're done, and are just going to bury it to the frame. Time to air down more or back up if you can.

Just be careful when you go to 10 with the cookies. I got into too much sideways fun once at 10psi and got sand in the bead. Was stopping to air up every 20 miles all the way home. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Almost all of the Aussies drive in nothing but sand.;)

I doubt that Highly! To 4wd on sand I need to drive at least 500km (~300miles) to get to the nearest sand 4wd area - we usually head to Robe in South Australia - you can check it out on google maps, this area is about a 6 hour drive...

"Feature" youtube video's of none sand 4wd'n:

Short videos:

That said, the boys in Western Australia (basically new york to LA sort of distance on a horizontal plane) pretty much only have sand over there - certainly none of the rocky climbs we have in Vic at the end of the Great Dividing Range!

So I aired down and drove probably 40 beach miles yesterday. It went really well, I even drove through some thicker stuff and it handled great. 15psi seemed to work pretty well. Then I just aired back up on the ferry ride back. Thanks for the tips guys!

*I got lots of good looks and stares from the big 4x4 truck guys :D*

That is the best part of owing and driving a well set up subaru! But the smile get's wiped off your face when you have to rely on others (big 4wd's) to get you un-stuck!

A set of cut down bread creates - those plastic creates - are great for recovery in sand. Just cut the ridge off them and cut in half, one per wheel works best after shovelling some sand out of the way ;)

Cheers

Bennie

I got lots of good looks and stares from the big 4x4 truck guys :D

IMG_4099.JPG

Judging from the mile marker and the "ferry ride back" I'm guessing you were on Ocracoke.

I guess I'm not the only one on Outer Banks with an older Suby on the beach anymore.......:-p It is funny to watch the looks on peoples faces when I chug chug by in a car. The drunker they are the funnier the reaction.

2995899390057910484S600x600Q85.jpg

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I've experimented just to see if I could get away with not airing down all the way (tried it at 20 psi and it didn't work nearly as well.) With 15 psi and low range you can go anywhere you want unless the piping plovers are nesting.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Im in Montana right now searching for a dual range roo to bring back to the east coast for this exact purpose. So stoked to see some roos in Hatteras. Can't wait to have my very own Hatty Wagon so I can catch some monster fishies and ride some pumping surf. The hatch pic is epic.

Im in Montana right now searching for a dual range roo to bring back to the east coast for this exact purpose. So stoked to see some roos in Hatteras. Can't wait to have my very own Hatty Wagon so I can catch some monster fishies and ride some pumping surf. The hatch pic is epic.

Be prepared to spend some time and cash getting a pass. $50 a week, or $120 for the year.

Rules went in effect Feb. 15th. :banghead:

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/off-road-vehicle-use.htm

Dan

Yeah I saw this a couple of weeks ago, I guess it was bound to happen. I think its funny they make you watch a video. I'll spend the cash, in hopes that others wont and there will be more fish and surf for me.

~800 miles from cincinnati, ohio.

every penny for gas is worth it.

i typically stay with friends at their beach house out there that they rent when they arent there.

best part is that its quiet. really quiet, and you can't hear anything but waves at night.

hey bchbum i noticed your hatch isnt lifted. i know sometimes those ruts can b deep. you had no clearance issues? what kind of tires do you have on that thing? i have a 86 gl-10 turbo wagon with adjustable struts, and i really dont want to lift it. trying to get as much clearance with as little trimming.

lee