Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brke down and stranded need help fast

I am broke down at a truck stop 60 miles from home andneed some input. My fronds passenger axle has been going out and on my trip tonight my car started shakin real bad. My steering will keeps syaking and pulling to the side. Could a bad axle cause this problem or is it more likely something else? I took the tires off and they both look good and the tie rods look ok the only problem I can see is the torn boot on the axle. I need some input fast please and thank you.

I had changed the tire earlier and checked for play with both hubs. No play and there was no heat coming from the calipers that i could tell of. The wired part is that when I pulled off the road and stopped then started going again the shaking stopped for a while then started again. Looks like ill probably be changing an axle at a truck stop tomorrow. Sigh.

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back, as the joint seized up it started shaking the steering wheel something fierce, I though a wheel was coming off.

I repacked the CV joint with wheel bearing grease, duct-taped a bread bag around it to serve as a boot, and made it the last 150 miles home.

been there, done that. it's the axle. stuff it full of grease and you can drive cross country (you'll just need to stuff it a couple of times). GD is right.

i've done this multiple times, i drove two thousand miles from Colorado to Maryland doing this (i bought a tub of grease and made multiple stops). for kicks i rebooted that axle when i got home and it's been fine since then - over two years ago. :headbang: i won't call that normal or a good idea.

the joints are heating up and expansion is causing temperature related interference. it goes away when you stop and let it cool down to ambient temperatures.

New thought!

If you think it's the axle they make a needle for the end of a grease gun. Not every parts store has them. I got one several years ago to play with adding grease to idler pulleys then decided that wasn't the way to go.

But it would pierce the boot and you could load the joint up with grease to get home or a better place to work on it.

Certianly simpler that boot or axle removal along the road.

been there, done that. it's the axle. stuff it full of grease and you can drive cross country (you'll just need to stuff it a couple of times). GD is right.

i've done this multiple times, i drove two thousand miles from Colorado to Maryland doing this (i bought a tub of grease and made multiple stops). for kicks i rebooted that axle when i got home and it's been fine since then - over two years ago. :headbang: i won't call that normal or a good idea.

the joints are heating up and expansion is causing temperature related interference. it goes away when you stop and let it cool down to ambient temperatures.

Same old joint is still in operation? Original axle/CV? Wow, that means original CVs are that good?

Well it was the axle that was causing the problem. Had to change it in a truck stop parking lot, it was 30 degrees but more like 10 with the wind chill. Runs great now though! Thanks for all the input guys now all I have to do is in thaw my whole body. definatley not the ideal place to work on a car.

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back, as the joint seized up it started shaking the steering wheel something fierce, I though a wheel was coming off.

I repacked the CV joint with wheel bearing grease, duct-taped a bread bag around it to serve as a boot, and made it the last 150 miles home.

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

:popcorn: