Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a thought.

I picked up an AC Delco 1/2" ELECTRIC impact years ago.

Comes in handy sometimes where elec may be inconvenient but air is impossible. Overall it doesn't do too bad of a job for what it is.

I wanna say 60 bucks or so a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure the reason its stuck on is due to me being dumb and jamming the flat head screw driver in that notched part of the axle. once it snapped off I knew I was in trouble. I did use my 1/2" breaker bar and a 2 foot pipe on that and it didn't budge. A friend I gonna try his impact on it tomorrow I'm really hopping that works. Its funny as soon a I broke the screw driver I found the chisel I was originally looking for... Figures haha.

I had a really stuck one once. I put the wheel back on. Put the breaker bar on the axle nut. Put a little skid type thing on the end of the breaker bar and actually drove the car. It sort of lifted the wheel off the ground a bit. Then I stepped on the gas some more and BANG!!! It came loose. It was probably a really stupid way of getting it off. but it worked. heh.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm late on the update but yeah impact guns are the way to go it actually took a few good hit with the impact gun to break the nut lose. So it was not gonna come off with hand tools. Boy do I wish I could afford a whole shop equipped with an air system that can run air tools.... someday I guess haha Thanks for the help everyone.

When I was at the junkyard pulling of a knuckle, I had forgotten my punch and a hammer (who goes to the yard with out a damn hammer?:-\) But all I had to do was crank on the axle nut with the breaker bar and jump up and down on it to plow through the indent.

Glad you got it off with air power, though :)

JPX