Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Name what you like/dislike most about your Subaru (or Subaru in general)

Was at the gas station earlier and thinking about this. Have to say the mechanical simplicity of the older (mid 90's) Legacy. The fact that despite being a Japanese automobile, parts are EXTREMELY inexpensive ordering online at say RockAuto, making these the modern equivalent of the Chevys and Chevy 350 stuff in the 80's. The fact most everything is modular allowing for WRX, Tribecca, etc. stuff to be swapped in everyday Legacy Wagon. And of course the symmetrical AWD and non transverse mounted engine, allowing for no torque steer. And the non interference 95' EJ22. When a belt goes in a non interference engine, you'll be glad it wasn't an interference engine ;)

Only real gripe is MPG isn't the greatest. My Saab has a manual, makes roughly 200hp more than the 130 hp Legacy EJ22 via tune and bigger turbo, and still easily gets 5-10 MPG more and I lead foot it, whereas the Legacy is driven like a normal car. Only things not changed in the Legacy are O2 sensors and the cats are original, so maybe that's why?

Edited by Bushwick

One big like for my new 2014 Impreza is with the CVT I am getting 32- 33 MPG on my 80 mile round trip commute which rivals what my 2007 Corolla used ot get. But this car is always in AWD, is heavier (which holds the road and outhandles the Corolla). Dislike about this car is it seems complicated, not as easy to work on.

The drivers seat in mine doesn't slide back far enough.

MPG could be better but it's not going to be great with AWD. A stock Ej22 legacy manual should be able to get 28-30 hwy IF you keep RPMs around 2500. Usually that means you have to double nickel it, and keep your foot out of the throttle when accelerating.

I get 28-32 mpg in my 99 OB. I use Michelin  highway M/S tires and don't lead foot it.

the best thing about my Subaru is that it is GREAT in snow. I live in snow country near I80 and the infamous donner Pass. when 4wd pickup trucks and other 4 wheelers are stuck or in the ditch , I just go thru like a tank.

• Like 1

My 87' Hatch also seemed to lack enough leg room, ditto Fairtax.

My 1998 GF8 Outback Sport has two things that bug the crap out of me,

the coin drawer is a royal piece of shiesse, albeit mine might be damaged. It must be tugged out, and you must be extremely precise, as it usually pulls out and then is a female-dog to put back in.

The other thing?

Piston slap.

Do not like the leaks I have been dealt with the frameless doors. The 87' didn't have such issues.

Have to crack open those door shells and see if I can somehow adjust them.

I do not like them
In a house.
I do not like them
With a mouse.
I do not like them
Here or there.
I do not like them
Anywhere.
I do not like leaks much nor *slam*.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Winter driving is my favorite part of owning a Subaru. I have a 98 Legacy L wagon 5 M/T and the thing is stable, predictable and unstoppable in the snow. I also have a 2002 4X4 Nissan Xterra 5 M/T but when there's snow on the road my choice is the Legacy.

Only dislike is the road noise, The Legacy has a lot of driveline / engine noise, but hey, it's 17 years old with 320,000 kms on it so no complaints, just turn up the radio.         

• Like 1

AWD capability in adverse conditions - living in the country in Northern Wisconsin we frequently see heavily drifted over roads in the winter. I like being able to get in & out of my driveway regardless of conditions.

Easy to work on, non-interference EJ22 motor in my 95.

Cargo space!

Easy to get around in - the smaller size makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

Lego-like swap capabilities - easy to swap in parts from other models - 98 Forester strut lift on my 95 Legacy - direct bolt in - Yeah!

Dislikes:

Cupholders (in general) - either the lack thereof, or the placement/size of them... the 2006 LL Bean Outback doesnt have any real cupholders up front? WTF? the 95 Legacy cupholder seems flimsy (compared to the 90 version), and placement is terrible (in the way of heat controls, directly above stereo...)

Neutral:

Fuel mileage could be better for its size, but I am not going to complain too much. Having such capable AWD does have its trade-offs, and tires do make a big difference, as does tranny type and driving style...

I only Dislike the Timin' Belts setup on my EA82.

I Really Like everything else, as pointed by Bushwick, on the first Post.

But what I Really Dislike the Most, is the Lack of a Local Subaru Dealer + Aftermarket support,

and the fact that Fuji Heavy industries doesn't Care at all, to left Orphan

all the Subies in Honduras / Central America...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

I have an '02 WRX and an '86 Brat.

I love almost everything about my subarus, especially the rough and capable, yet somehow refined look and feel that they have on the road

The only thing that I grumble about from time to time is the fuel mileage on my WRX, but that's somewhat to be expected.

I also don't like that Subaru has adopted the CVT or the electric emergency brake. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be on all models.

As for Subarus in general, I love the body style from the beginning of Subaru time up until 2008. They were  quirky, unique and functional. I also love their smaller size compared to other vehicles in their class.  I'm not too fond of the look they've taken on since 2009 though. It's too similar to other vehicles on the road. Perhaps it has someting to do with the Toyota shareholder/influence. However, if I were to purchase a new car today, it would probably still be a Subaru.

Edited by belacane
  • Like 1

My best feature is that I don't have any car payments. It is reliable and easy to maintain. I like the squareish looks on the Loyales (I must be a square myself).  Things I dislike I have changed, such as the plastic sided radiator that went out 42K miles after I bought the car (2K out of warranty). I got an all metal radiator and have had it ever since with zero problems - I am up to 174K now.

It only has 90hp, but it zips me around just fine.  I have come to accept it for what it is and what it is not:

It is NOT a Formula One racer. Was never meant to be. I sooo wish I could hastily pass that granny on the highway. :rolleyes:

It IS an economical reliable car that gets me places I want to go inexpensively.

Best of all, my most favorite feature of the bunch is it has brought me in contact with the awesome folks of USMB!!! ;)

• Like 2

2014 Legacy Premium.  What I dislike, the seats.  I also dislike the fact that Subaru (and all other manufacturers) do not have a feedback system to get information from their customers.  If they did, they could design much better cars.

They really need to listen to the seat complaints because most people really love or hate a car based on comfort, more so than performance or economy or even reliability.  I know you can't design a seat that fits everyone, but the use of memory foam does cover a lot more variables because it molds to the person.  Anyone who has a memory foam mattress or mattress topper can attest to that.

I do like that the vehicle is more accessible for people with disabilities.  Something in the design of the doors makes it easier for people with limited range of motion to get in.  I hope they do not loose this feature, but to go along with it, the Legacy needs to be able to carry one of those powered wheel chairs on a hitch on the back.  This is a pretty marginal feature currently as the Legacy is not rated for towing.

I get pretty good gas mileage as well, 28.5 - 31 mpg.  I keep records.  Most of the time I get around 30 mpg.

I love the AWD + snow-tire combination. Fantastic in the snow!

And I love the ease of maintenance (of most items).

But I don't like these design features on my 2002 Forester:

- Power-windows only work with ignition-key switched to ON (I rewired this so that windows work in ACC & ON).

- Seat-heaters stay energized FOR EVER until switched off (I rewired this his with a pushbutton & relay, so that the circuit drops-out when the ignition is switched to OFF).

- Wheel-bearing design: premature failure + complicated replacement procedure.

- Head-gasket design: Subaru should have fixed this long ago.

- Oil-dipstick design: Cannot get a clear reading of oil-level. Surely a first-year engineering student could redesign this!

Edited by forester2002s

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

I HATE the stupid beeping doors, how could they F*&k that up?? You have to click your fob twice in succession to open all the doors, creating a bu-bee-buh-beep double repeat of the already loud and annoying, sound.

No way around this!!

Oh hey, you want to use your key to open your car? BEEPHONKBEEPHONK nope, you didn't disable the alarm, unlike other common vehicles that utilize the key as well.

Let's warn you that you are attempting to lock/alarm the car while a door is still open BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (oh it's loud).

Luckily, there is a way to disable the beeping altogether, thanks Subaru for that useful feature.

What do I like? This generation of the outback was rated the BEST car domestic, EU, or Asian for the winter. The next best thing, not surprisingly for me, is Volvo Cross Country Wagon (enjoy the maintenance and expensive bills for ridiculous issues).

This outback has so much clearance, I took it through an ATV sand track in Upper Michigan, and 200 foot winter parking lot drifts are SHWEET with the 6 cylinder.

2014 Legacy Premium.  What I dislike, the seats.  I also dislike the fact that Subaru (and all other manufacturers) do not have a feedback system to get information from their customers.  If they did, they could design much better cars.

They really need to listen to the seat complaints because most people really love or hate a car based on comfort, more so than performance or economy or even reliability.  I know you can't design a seat that fits everyone, but the use of memory foam does cover a lot more variables because it molds to the person.  Anyone who has a memory foam mattress or mattress topper can attest to that.

I do like that the vehicle is more accessible for people with disabilities.  Something in the design of the doors makes it easier for people with limited range of motion to get in.  I hope they do not loose this feature, but to go along with it, the Legacy needs to be able to carry one of those powered wheel chairs on a hitch on the back.  This is a pretty marginal feature currently as the Legacy is not rated for towing.

I get pretty good gas mileage as well, 28.5 - 31 mpg.  I keep records.  Most of the time I get around 30 mpg.

I agree, the comfort and driving dynamic are what make a car for me, if I can't enjoy driving it, why would I buy one for 100,000miles or more.

My cousin was looking for a new eco sedan. I helped him out, test drove the then new Corolla, Elantra, Sentra, and Impreza!

I tried all trans and body configurations of the '13 Subaru Impreza (non-turbo of course) and I'm sorry but the interior was plasticy and cheap, it's eco 2.0L with the AWD was noisy and felt unrefined.

The trim package they released for the Impreza, the utility wagon/hatchback only looked better, interior was more or less the same and.. same powertrain.

I love the AWD + snow-tire combination. Fantastic in the snow!

And I love the ease of maintenance (of most items).

But I don't like these design features on my 2002 Forester:

- Power-windows only work with ignition-key switched to ON (I rewired this so that windows work in ACC & ON).

- Seat-heaters stay energized FOR EVER until switched off (I rewired this his with a pushbutton & relay, so that the circuit drops-out when the ignition is switched to OFF).

- Wheel-bearing design: premature failure + complicated replacement procedure.

- Head-gasket design: Subaru should have fixed this long ago.

- Oil-dipstick design: Cannot get a clear reading of oil-level. Surely a first-year engineering student could redesign this!

There should be aftermarket dipsticks for this, it's not the only car with the same problem.

My Mazda 3 with a Fomoco (Ford) designed dipstick was terrible as well.

Likes - Simple to work on.- roadside fixes can almost always happen

Ground clearance and AWD/4WD makes them very trail  and snow capable - especially with a little lift or modification.

Affordable - a cheapo $500. (or often less) car can last you 10 years+ and 100,000 miles+. Not so for most other makes.

Parts can be swapped between models and years very fluidly. Makes up for the lack of aftermarket options.

Brotherhood/Sisterhood - We can disagree about politics, religion, child raising practices and the like, but if you drive a subaru, we are buddies.

USMB and similar boards - folks are very willing to lend advice and helping hands. I feel this has more to do with that brotherhood/sisterhood than just loyalty to a brand. Subarus are great products but the people you meet and share experiences with are what make it stick.

The expressions of folks as you drive by in a lifted station wagon. (Or assist a stuck 4x4 in a station wagon)

Prominence of the wagon body - most makes think of this as an afterthought. For loading in tools, firewood, hunting/fishing/camping gear etc. a wagon body style is just more practical.

Roof racks being almost a standard option for similar reasons.

Dislikes - The newer ones are becoming much more of a luxury car and not an every mans wagon/ family vehicle. They are far away from the "cheap and ugly" marketing that they started with.

Dual range options were discontinued in the states.

Stereotypical WRX/STI drivers (there are plenty of exceptions but this seems to be a go-to car for many toolbags who are very much in love with themselves.)

• Like 1

I dislike that the parking/E brake is on the front and that they no longer carry a high/low trans. (At least, here in the states)

I love love love driving in the snow with either of my subarus.

And no car can take a leadfooted teenage male drivers abuse like a subaru can.

Gentlemen,

My wife loves her Lexus (alright, I do too), but the car we take almost everywhere, everyday, is the OBW LTD. In fact, I've owned one of each of the generations since 1997, loved each one, and loved each new one better than the last, because of the upgrades in the rear seat fold down configurations for one, the headroom (I'm 6' 2" and I can wear a hat in the winter without rubbing the sunroof cover, power driver's seat, the normalcy of the parking light switch moved to where it should be, the framed windows in the latest generation, and so on.

But most of all I like the fact that not everyone drives one where I live, and in winter I can do circles around everyone else who is slipping and sliding, and no longer consider the Subie as quirky. There is no white knuckled driving in a properly equipped Subie in rain or snow and ice.

What I hate is the new electronic emergency brake that you know is going to cost bucks to fix down the road, when the motor wears out and you have to drop that gas tank to get at it. No more just buying some cables, or having the brake handle just fall into your hand in an emergency. Imagine trying to use the electronic one in and emergency while driving at speed and having it go to full lock on? Make a wish ... because you are going for a very exciting, in a bad way, ride.

Gentlemen,

What I hate is the new electronic emergency brake that you know is going to cost bucks to fix down the road, when the motor wears out and you have to drop that gas tank to get at it. No more just buying some cables, or having the brake handle just fall into your hand in an emergency. Imagine trying to use the electronic one in and emergency while driving at speed and having it go to full lock on? Make a wish ... because you are going for a very exciting, in a bad way, ride.

Yes! I absolutely agree with that and have added it to my list.

Edited by belacane

I was wondering about my seats and why they can go forward 5" away from the dash, but run out of leg room for anyone 5' 7" or taller. It's like they got the jig wrong when setting up the track slider to tack to the seat. That's for bringing that up as it's apparently normal.

Winter drifting in 6" to 8" of snow at 4am on un-plowed, quiet streets was a BLAST last winter. Would wait for the snow to drop, then find some roads to drift on the turns. 

Fuel mileage, I get a constant 33mpg city, 38+mpg highway*

Easy to work on when I have to, which brings me to my next point...

Hands down the most reliable vehicle I've owned.

That sound, with the UEL header

Love the parts interchangeability between the new gens - I've got a little Legacy, WRX, Forester, Outback, and newer generation Impreza in mine

Dislikes

Slight lack of power

"only" FWD

*My '93 Impreza has its original EJ18 with 230k, coupled with a '92 Legacy FWD 5MT (with 293k on it), which everything I've found online says is a 3.70.

Ez to work on to replace belts, alternator, starter when needed. EZ to find parts in a wrecking yard that will fit my 2 Subies.

Dislikes

Before Subies, I drove German cars. All were Audis or VWs. The Germans do a much better job of engineering suspension systems that are a firm, yet have a comfortable ride, and have excellent handling, and steering feel. My Subies don't measure up to even VW standards in suspension and handling. That is what I miss most in driving my Subies. However, Subies are much better in reliability.

Gentlemen,

It doesn't have an emergency brake at all.  An emergency brake was a mechanical brake that you could use if your hydraulic brakes failed.  This is strictly a parking brake, it releases automatically when you put the transmission in gear and touch the gas pedal.  It cannot be set if the vehicle is in motion.

I agree, this was not a good idea and Subaru may come to regret the decision to use it when some slick lawyer argues a case where a client got hurt because they could not use the "emergency brake".  Never mind that the client may have been drunk, speeding and the hydraulic brakes were working just fine, or that the vehicle was at a stop sign or light and got rearended by a drunk, speeding, uninsured driver.

Edited by keith3267

I will base this review on my wife's 2011 XT. Even with only 224 hp it gets going fast and hard if needed to merge or pass. I chalk that up to the major torque a turbo produces.

It rides good and handles very good for an SUV. Has a decent amount of room front and back. I know the new model is supposedly better but this one is still good.

At 65k and I have replaced nothing but maintenance items, as expected.

This past winter eastern North Carolina got a freakish 20 inches of snow total over four snows. One melted, refroze and dumped another 1/2-1-inch on top of frozen snow making terrible driving conditions due to a lack of road clearing equipment here. My wife claimed it was like a tank and she felt 100% confident in it's ability to get her to the hospital and back for work, 55 mile round trip.

Has a pretty decent factory stereo.

Dislikes, gas mileage kind of sucks but she does have a pretty big right foot, average about 22.5 mpg with the required premium. With have gotten over 25 mpg on trips which isn't too bad.

Took me around 4-hours to replace the sparkplugs.  

Her driver's side visor doesn't want to stay were you put it anymore, drifts to the straight down position and will have to be replaced.

Overall this is our 5th Subaru still owning two, my 87 Brat for 17 years now. She loves her Forester still which is a new record for her, usually after about 6 months she is wishing she got something else. I have a pretty strong feeling that if this gets replaced it will most definitely be another Subaru, but that will be her call since she drives it!