Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone had the Guts to try this?

Actually, I think this guy might not be off his rocker. It does sound too good to be true, but it looks like, at least without knowing precisely what the thing does, this thing may net the fuel savings that it claims.

Now, what I think they are doing is placing manifold vacuum, albeit dramatically reduced manifold vacuum that is controlled by some device, on the float bowl. So, what would this do? It regulates the air/fuel mixture according to some parameter. Crazy you say? Black magic? If that's the case, then why are similar products manufactured and sold for use on snowmobiles that allow the rider to change the fuel/air ratio in accordance with altitude and temperature changes? I'm just guessing here, but I think that's what this thingamabob does, and I think there's a possibility that they are on to something here.

When I was young I remember liking to watch a show on discovery called "Beyond 2000!" (Anyone else?)

Well among the private hovercraft and other bad rump roast eye popping mind numbing stuff they had a segment on this guy who ran his lawn mower with gas and water.

We all know thats a bad mix. He didnt mix them. He ran electricity through the water seperated into its basic elements and piped (either both or just one damn if I can remember right now) into the air intake to be mixed with the normal air. So without increasing the compression of his air or decreasing its temperature (thus increasing its pressure) he was able to make a more flamable gas (oxygen being one of the main flamable gases in our "air" and available in a suprisingly small percentage per volume) Well needless to say it did all sorts of bad a** S*** it was later concluded that it added horspower, gas mileage, and because the over all front of fire moved faster that it actually reached a lower temp because the fire was present for less time (Dont know if that makes sense at this moment) at least thats what they attributed the notable drop in harmful exhaust gases to. They deduced noting which gas combinations did not form and found that heat was the missing element of the transformation process for these gases.

Well. That being said. I am sorry I was so vague when posting that web site. I think my question had more to do with Brown's gas and his carb stuff than anything. (the chip is redundant many of our cars have the 02 sensor)

Anywhoo...

Has anyone played with browns gas? Seperating water? Piping gases into carbs?

Keep talking I know there are some wacky geniuses out there!

PS for you folks that cant bear to be concious about our position in the world and our direct effects upon it.... More Power! Less Gas money!

Joshua

Nah this isnt off topic. Its a performance boost for carbed Soobs. I am going to check at my local colleges and see if anyone has a "water welder" or a way to make this thing. i am thinking of ordering the book. He says its not patented so if I order it i will scan it in and hand it off to all who want it.

Joshua

The carb enhancer looks strikingly familliar with a carb enhancer I had on my 72 Charger (318ci) back around 1982. That did work to a certain extent. Jump on the gas, vacuum drops, carb/engine ran as normal. As vacuum came up, it created a lower atmospheric pressue inside the float chamber in the carb and thus leaned out the F/A mixture going to the engine. If I were to do it today, I would take that Charger and put in a couple EGT and CHT gauges and see how much more I could safely lean the F/A ratio.

There are numerous other tweaks/additions one can do with about any carb'd auto, but given the industries change over to all this electronic crap hanging on under the hoods these days, a lot of what I was toying around with became impossible to do. All the "Doubting Thomas' " of the world will tell you that if such miracle devices or schemes existed, they would be on our cars today. So, good luck convincing people that there are means to achieve such dramatic gains.

Wish I still had it, but a few years ago I started a thread titled the "100 MPG Sube". As I remember it then and as you may see here, most will refer huge to MPG gains as VOO DOO, black magic, myths.

Answer to original ?? Yes.

Now, what I think they are doing is placing manifold vacuum, albeit dramatically reduced manifold vacuum that is controlled by some device, on the float bowl. So, what would this do? It regulates the air/fuel mixture according to some parameter. Crazy you say? Black magic? If that's the case, then why are similar products manufactured and sold for use on snowmobiles that allow the rider to change the fuel/air ratio in accordance with altitude and temperature changes? I'm just guessing here, but I think that's what this thingamabob does, and I think there's a possibility that they are on to something here.

If you look at the pic of the carb economizer, you will see a hose, a tee fitting and a needle valve. The principle is simple. Put the tee in a manifold vacuum line, run hose to metering valve, run more hose from the metering valve up into air cleaner. just before the bowl vent. Just pretend for a minute that the float bowl vent tube sticking out the top of the carb has a 3/16" ID. So, from the hose coming from the vacuum metering valve, we will put on a piece of 1/8" OD copper tubing. This 1/8" tube gets slid down into the float chamber, making sure it does not go in too far and suck the gas out of the bowl. (That would be extremely counter productive!) Now having the 1/8" OD vacuum tube inside the 3/16" ID vent of the bowl chamber, we have a known (assumed) amount of metered vacuum leak/venting space leading into the bowl. When you start the car and the manifold vac comes up to normal, we adjust (open) the metering valve to create a vacuum (lower atmospheric pressure) on top of the fuel in the bowl. Open the meter valve further, more vacuum in the bowl, the harder the engine (carb venturies) have to pull to get the same amount of fuel. Thus, leaned out the mixture. Step on the gas, vacuum drops to about zero, carb supplies normal F/A ratio, normal power. Vac come back up, reduced F/A ratio should (does) equal better economy. Given the tube sizes I gave, for example, is a quite a vacuum leak for the system, so the metering valve will need to be open quite a ways before the F/A mixture will be reduced. My set up on the Chager was a bit tighter, so the changes were much more pronounced. This also does cause some "VAPOR" to be taken from the bowl into the engine to be burned, so there's some slight benefits from that too. Fuel level in the bowl remains constant, so nothing needs to be done there, if it is already set correctly. The scheme I used, I believe came from an old Mother Earth News mag or some other popular magazine, so I don't believe I'm giving anyones secret out. My previous reference to "Carb Enhancer" is just coincidental as some one called my setup that, when I shown what I did on that car a LONG, LONG TIME AGO.

I once bought a 1978 Brat that had a Unit electrically wired to the Carburetor and had a separate resivior on the side that held water. It was supposed to atomize the water and inject it into the carb along with the fuel. the unit was supposed to add HP and better mileage...

What a mess! I took it off and got better preformance and the gas mileage i was supposed to (for a Brat). If it was such a good deal, I figure the Factory would have installed it themselves as part of the design.

Rarely can aftermarket items enhance the original desingn and performance of a vehicle. I wouldnt waste my money bro....

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Later,

Kahnn~

Rarely can aftermarket items enhance the original desingn and performance of a vehicle. I wouldnt waste my money bro....

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Later,

Kahnn~

Just the kind of response I would expect the vast majority, but I don't hold that against anyone that feels such is true, but think outside the box man.

My home brewed adaptation I had on the Dodge gave me about 3-4 mpg. Was a bit afraid to lower F/A ratio any further. If I had that car today, I'd get the EGT&CHT senors on it and lean that puppy till she got rather hot. Maybe even further, if I could pick up your carb controlled H2O injector system to "QUENCH THE FLAME", I would think I could lower the F/A ratio furher yet with out causing a melt down. The thinking today is such, with all our great electronic controlled sensor/injector crap to "QUENCH THE FLAME" with more gas. Can't we even imagine anything better than that?

The rig on the Dodge cost me about 10 bux total to build back in 82. (I could do it cheaper yet today, if I had a carbed road car to play with.) At 3 mpg (even one mpg) these days, wouldn't have to run it very long to pay for it. Waste of money bro? Guess I don't understand the logic in that either.

Keebler, not knocking your words or opinion on the matter, I hear those same words very regularly. You are not alone. I just think it's a shame that so many people think that we have been taught and supplied with the best technology that is possible.