Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ac condenser as a trans cooler?

Im building a yard car to haul firewood up to the house using all the junk parts from around the house. The radiator i have has a leaky trans cooler but holds coolant fine. Im not planning to put ac on this car can i use the condenser as a transmission cooler? Would there be any downside to this or would it just work

it would keep the ATF too cool but for a farm car and short hard workouts who cares?   if you checked temps you could ziptie cardboard in front of it to reduce airflow if you wanted to curb cooling.

they're all metal construction - i give it a thumbs up.

Edited by idosubaru

I have 2 concerns.

1. Overcooling. Depending on how you're using it, the factory exchanger in the radiator is warming the fluid more than cooling it. And a condenser is going to provide a lot of surface area. Although it won't have much air flow through it, so it might not be an issue...

2. Volume/flow/pressure. I'd be concerned that the ports at the end tanks and/or passages in the exchanger itself would be too small for the volume of flow being pumped through it. The condenser (as the name implies) is designed to have a pressure and state-of-matter difference across it, where a trans cooler is not.

If it's a short and easy drive, I'd probably just loop the hoses. If there's some distance, and/or are likely to have some load on it (hills, mud, snow, etc.), I'd probably bend a loop of NiCopp hard line in front of the radiator. Either way, I would then keep an eye on temperatures with an OBDII scanner (if it's new enough) or an infrared gun, and upgrade as necessary.

I’ve connected both hoses together, leaving no cooler. Not ideal or recommended but it works and would be suitable for some nontraditional uses if one is mindful of loads, duration and ambient temps. Check temps if you want to/can. 

Being winter I wouldn’t hesitate to do it now just to keep the farm vehicle going til better weather. 

Edited by idosubaru

well it was fun while it lasted. the cars now stuck in my snow filled yard the front diff seems to have blown up because only the rear tires turn now. i wasent even pushing it hard i literally just eased into the snow filled yard got about 2 car lengths in then there was a small pop/clunk sound and the front wheels stopped receiving power. if anyone in ct has a junk transmission that still worked i would love to acquire it for my yard beater.

Edited by sirtokesalot

i jumped on it blowing up to soon. when it first happened i looked under it with the rear tires spinning and did not see the front axles turning so thought it blew up. i did look again after and noticed the drivers axle pulled out of the transmission. my fault i just swapped the legacy struts for outback struts in front and it likely pulled out a bit while it was apart then came out when i tried to drive into the yard. i got it back together and it is working again.