Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you use to remove decal glue residue?

I Have over fifteen Years of Experience with Car Paintings and Related Stuff... and I Found that the Fastest and Easiest Way to Remove Glue and Decals is very Cheap: RED OIL ... the one used to let Shiny the Wooden Furniture, it Also Won't Damage the Paint finish on the Car, just rub it with a Soft Cloth against the Glued area.

Hope this can Help.

Kind Regards.

I dont think the product you are talking about exists in the usa. A google search resulted in nada.

I use a product made by 3M, designed for removing these glues/adhesives, any auto paint store should have it.

they work awsome, harbor freight has them too

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pinstrip-Decal-ERASER-REMOVER-Brand-new-in-package_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a580d1e47QQitemZ250585357895QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

if you can get some isopropal rubing alchohol thats good on glass

That's simply dry gas. Many uses. Including cleaning new wiper blades.

Getting harder to but bottles with screw on threads though. I never use it for the purpose it was bottled for.

PB Blaster works well.

Infact PB and perhaps a little scotchbrite is how I remove JY paint stick.

Edited by davebugs

I've found that a lot of older Subarus with pinstripes are going to be buried under the clear coat. My XT6 has them on the surface but it ruined the clear coat from the adhesive when I started to remove them.

For pinstripes though, I use an eraser wheel in a drill and just make a couple quick passes on them to rub them off. Again, if you use it on older paint or stay in one area too long, you'll burn the paint real quickly. After I use the eraser wheel, I'll clean it off with a wax and grease remover to help clean off any extra pieces without harming the clearcoat anymore then I have to. I also use my eraser wheel when I do debadging on newer Subarus for other people.

WD-40 just dissolves the glue and you can wipe it off with a rag. There are other solvents like goo-gone and goof-off, but none works as well as WD-40; an it does'nt eat away at the paint or finish!

yes WD40 is the way to go.

I had a lexan brat body with tape goo on it and acetone started to cloud it. whipped out the WD40 and it took it right off with minimal effort. I just let it soak in for afew minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
I dont think the product you are talking about exists in the usa. A google search resulted in nada.

Well... I Believe that I Forgot to write that the RED OIL is used to Restore & Shine Wooden Furniture...

here is very widely used & Easy to Find:

red_oil_furniture_polish.jpg?t=1269063527

and it might be Known also as: "Wood Oil"

red_oil_furniture.jpg?t=1269063645

it works Wonderfully!

I Hope this can Help.

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

couldn't find the WD40. PB Blaster helped but still required a lot of sweat on a 98 OBW trim sticker.

tried some wax/cleaner stuff with about the same results (except the fender was nice and shiny too). :lol:

then used goof-off and worked great, took it right off with little effort. not sure if it's bad for the paint or not. looks fine now after clean/wash/wax.

Peanut butter.... who woulda thought? I remember hearing from some old painters WD-40 will make the next paint job a royal PITA but that was 12 years ago. I personally use the stuff from the body shop (not the eraser) or VODKA. Yes, Vodka. Put on a rag and go to town. Used it to remove the residue from duc tape on my drivers side and all the sticker residue on my side windows.