Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Built a roof rack (pictures)

Finally got around to building a roof rack for the wagon.

60.00 worth of steel and 6 hours later I'm sporting it on the car.

23roofrack_on_DD_013-med.jpg

23roofrack_on_DD_010-med.jpg

Haven't gotten around to building the gutter rail clamps yet and need to get the correct length bolts for the hold downs.

Next time I will use a thinner walled square tubing and clean it up a bit more before painting. I'm going to incorporate a place in the front for foglights and a spare tire mount on the next one too.

Eh, not to bad for a first try I think.

Comments, good or bad, are welcome.

Regards,

Jay

Going to be building front brushguards and swingout spare tire carriers when I get into my new garage.

thats pretty sharp! i have one small critique though. if youre going to add a light bar to it, i would move the front mounting bar closer to the front of the rack, to safeguard against vibration throwing your lightbeam all over creation.

Thanks for the compliments.

Cost was 60.00. The next one won't be as expensive as I have leftover steel from this go and I'm going with thinner walled tubing.

Someone has made these before. Who was it? I'd like to copy the half surround for the spare tire but want to give credit for the idea.

Next rack will have a 'Yakima like' flat angled front with notches for the lights so they don't protrude over the top of the rack.

Jay

Cost was 60.00. The next one won't be as expensive as I have leftover steel from this go and I'm going with thinner walled tubing.

Someone has made these before. Who was it? I'd like to copy the half surround for the spare tire but want to give credit for the idea.

Jay

soobme

-mike

Hey Jay...looks awesome!! I think it will really come together once you get some lights up there also :grin:

I just put yakimas up on top and built custom mounts for lights that mount to the yakimas. Then I used the ski/snow board holders for my fly rods while fishing.

Right now it's bolted to the outermost roof rails. Not the best way but I wanted to get it home and out of the shop. I have designs on gutter rail holddowns but have yet to get the free time to build them. I wouldn't trust the current mounting for much weight but it's attached. Probably hold whatever the factory rails are rated, weight wise. I have a jig set up to duplicate this rack without too much problem and wouldn't mind building these for a bit of a profit, but shipping them would be the big deal killer. Jay

Nice work! anybody have any suggestions for a rack that would hold a 12' two person sea kayak for my girlfriends legacy sedan ? Dont own the kayak yet as she doesnt think the soobi could haul it...I say otherwise. I think this may be a ploy to upgrade to a s/w or worse - some kind of pick-up.

Nks, I just reread your post and understand what your saying now, I agree.

Brian, Wondering if the lights set that far back on the roof and that low would illuminate the road well? Sure would light up the top of the car. My thought was to put them on the lower crossbar of the next one I build. I really don't want them to stick up above the top of the rack, more integrated. thinking the next rack will be a -+foot longer to position the front of the rack about center of the front door. I like your idea of a light bar addition. I could wire it up to be removable too.

Regards,

Jay

**Looking at the lift kits that are being built. It just doesn't seem that hard to do. The info on them seems to be quite proprietary, so I'll end up making mistakes that could be avoided if it was shared. Then again I haven't really asked anyone for advice either. Maybe I should. Hmm.

Right now it's bolted to the outermost roof rails. Not the best way but I wanted to get it home and out of the shop. I have designs on gutter rail holddowns but have yet to get the free time to build them. I wouldn't trust the current mounting for much weight but it's attached. Probably hold whatever the factory rails are rated, weight wise. I have a jig set up to duplicate this rack without too much problem and wouldn't mind building these for a bit of a profit, but shipping them would be the big deal killer. Jay

Id like to bolt something on like this..(more of a light bar). How/Where would you determine the best spot to bolt this to the roof of the car. Are there rails that are under the actual roof that I can blot right too? and how did you find them?

Shiping is not as bad as U would think. (I ship 1-3 of them a week) But it can't be all 1 pice like that to ship it. Has to have some way of breaking down. I don't want to give away ALL of my trade secrets, but if U have ever seen 1 of mine U will see how to make it just as strong, but still break down.

That's very similar to what I sell, but I don't recomend using the stock rail mounts any more. They like to start pulling out of the roof when U get a load on the rack, and they will not suport as much weight as the rain gutters will.

And that is a NICE RACK :brow:

Just had to get that in there :grin: