Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you find cheap Subies?

This is just a general question but how do you guys find cheap Subies that are worth building/buying? Is it just a matter of having the right connections or Luck?

He's my dilemia:

I have a co worker that has a 86 EA82 2wd GL-10 Wagon with a bad engine. It has around 120K and every option but a sunroof. But unfortionaly it also has a Automatic Tranny. But the interior is PERFECT! It looks cleaner inside that my 01' Corolla! it does have a small dent near the right rear taillight and the bumper skins look a bit abused. He bough the car for $200.

He also has a 87 EA82 2wd GL wagon with a Auto that was in a front end collision. But it has a good engine ~150K. He got that car for $25.

So he is going to swap motors and do a few little other items to make the 86 to be near perfect condition. He wants $800 for it when he's done. I might be able to talk him down a bit from there. but not much.

So is this a good deal? after looking at the car it sounds good to me but unfortionatly Its not 4wd and its not a Manual.

I just need some advice from veteran Subie buyers and builders..........:-\

for 800 you should be able to find a better car for your purposes. Swapping a manual and 4wd is not a huge deal, but you might be stacking $300 on to that price plus more work. I think you could find a better car. Around my area we have a local buy/sell/trade paper, there should be something like that where you live. Thats how I found my car. Theres also the marketplace on the board, ebay. Thats all I can think of now.

I had the same question about two years ago and for the last year I've been finding cheap subes left and right. Just keep your eyes open and don't be afraid about talking someone out of their car! It took me about a year for my luck to come on full blown, so I guess it just takes time. Be patient and they'll start flocking to you! Doesn't hurt to let people that your into subes and they should tell you if they see one on someone's land or for sale some where.

Just start talking Subaru to everyone you meet, sooner or later someone will say, "Heck I've got one of those I'd like to get rid of, if you come and tow it away, it's yours." That has happened to many people here on the board. Some people will actually talk the price down for you since they are ashamed of asking so much for what they consider a worthless car. Some car will need to be fixed, but if you are mechanically inclined, they are easy to fix. I recently had to turn away a 80 Hatch 4WD 1600 that I could have had for nothing because the guy needed (read that as wife demanded) to get rid of it. All it needed was a tranny, but I would have upgraded it to an EA81 witha 5 speed D/R. They are out there, just keep aware of things, and they will fall into your lap.

Thats what I have been starting to think is that my co-workers car is not quite what I want even though its a nice car. And yes I've been tring to get him to just sell them to me "as-is" since he's mid process in buying a house, totally renivating it, fixing up his old house to sell or rent and trying to move into the new place for the last two months.......

I have had good luck using *edit* craigslist.com *original was a baaadd site! end edit*. In fact am looking at a '90 wagon in Portland... It's an auto, but that is what I'm looking for for my kids. $500.

I have found a parts car for $100 and a GL-10 turbowagon for my wife for $350 that just needed a little specialized subie attention that the prev owner couldn't do or afford to have done.

Our verison of Recycler had an '88 wagon "bad engine" for $150.

They are out there. As was said earlier, just look and be patient.

find out where subarus live and wait for them to break axles and timing belts.

anything with a ttle for me is worth putting on the road, even if its only just a dashboard with a title and a "junk car" but that's only really practical if you live in indiana, buy an out of state car for 100 bucks and throw it together with spare parts and call it registered.

Finding cheap Subies isn't too hard. But making a "find" takes a little digging...

Lets face it, a 15-20 year old Subaru isn't a whole lot to get excited about(unless you happen to be a derelict). Most of them are over the hill - and then some. Depending on where you live, you'll either find rust-free Subarus on thier last leg, or rust-bucket Subes, also on their last leg.

The good ones take some patience, and maybe a little more $$. Not every $150 car is a good deal. My advice to you - go for the good deals.

good luck, John

Hey Rick, lemme know what you are looking for. We've got em coming out of the woods down here, me and the rest of the Roo's usually turn up a new rig every couple of weeks for pretty much dirt cheap. And if you've got a couple hundred bucks you could even drive one home. Most of the rigs that we get down here are a couple Benji's and usually don't run, (My 83 Brat $100, just needed a motor), for less than 500 bucks though you can usually get a good runnin rig. Medford isn't too far of a drive from where your at, so jes hit me with what ya want and I'll put me ear to the ground, should stir sumpin up in a week or two.

Contact your local towing companies. Most of them auction off any vehicles that they have held for longer than a certain period of time. 90% of the time, you can get cars CHEAP at these auctions. Also, check your local wrecking yards. Sometimes you can get a screaming deal on a decent little runner. Other than that....hang out here a while.

Charity auctions (Volunteers of America, Kidney Foundation, etc.) are great places to find cheap subies where I live. I got my '90 Loyale EA82T wagon for $100 (+$50 buyer's fee) because the yard guys couldn't get it to start. I threw a battery in it and a used starter and it ran (and still runs) great. Later, I got a running but rusty '87 GL-10 4WD turbo wagon at the same auction for $150. It seems there are always at least 3-4 older Subarus at these auctions which are usually announced in the Classifieds section of the local paper.

I bought another '87 GL10 turbo wagon at the local Subaru dealer for $200 after the salesman hooked up the jumper box wrong and fried the fusible links!

Hey adam

you live in the medford area? hey can you start finding me a rx, turbo wagon or loyale turbo. i live in gold hill but i am currently in idaho going to school. i should be there around x mas so i will be sure to keep in touch. thanks

Guest Vickaroo

Yelp!!!! Just wait for them, when people get to know your an addict then they will just show up on your door step at all hours of the day!!! I know we have the "Way Word Home For Lost Subarus" People call or just stop by all the time and ask does your husband want another Subaru... either cheap or free.... ( Im trying to clear out the drive way!!!!!! ) :banghead: Like the movie said... Just build them and they will come... :grin: Vicky

Mea Culpa MAXIMA!!! (non-Latinophiles: My mistake, like totally!)

I hurriedly typed a website address in an earlier post, and the address was incorrect. Well the Law of Unintended Consequences bit me in the buttocks, as the mistyped address was for a naughty site. :eek: I have edited the original post to fix this mistake.

My greatest thanks to subiemech85 for catching this!!! :banana::banana:

(kinda reminds me of a few years back when I was helping my tween daughter do research for her book report on "Black Beauty"...)

TTFN!

Pat