Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not cool....whoever just bought the RX in spokane..

Not a cool thing to do at all...

I called and made an offer on an RX for 300.00 bucks this afternoon and the guy said "sold". I told him I would pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Done deal I thought. Well, he calls me back and says someone else just stopped by and offered him 375.00. Im thinking, alright, but I thought I bought the car??? For some reason I thought in the state of washington that this would have been a contractual agreement when he said sold to my offer, but who knows??

SO.....to who ever bought this car out from under me......not cool at all especially knowing someone else had already "bought it" :banghead: and to the seller....not cool either :banghead: .

Sorry...had to vent cause there went my 5spd awd dual range with lsd...Im not happy and I hope whoever bought that car fesses up!!

I doubt there could be any real contractual aggreement there because you never put it in writing. Somthing similar happended to my brother, though. He was looking at an '88 Firebird for $1600, but we had to drive about a half hour to get there. He was supposed to have first dibs on it, but another guy got there before us and bought the car. Pity, too, it had a big engine and everything, auto, though, and it wasn't a subie.

No deal is set in concrete until money has changed hands. You could have gave him $100 to hold it for you and he would have been obligated to do so. The guy that bought the car from under you obviously had cash, and more of it.

I hate to say it, but money talks. And who's to say that the guy that bought the car even knew you wanted it?

I hate to say it, but money talks. And who's to say that the guy that bought the car even knew you wanted it?

yeah....I figured that much as far as the agreement....besides Id never do anything about it just be a little frustrated, thats all. The irritating part was the guy wanting to buy it was standing there when I was talking to the seller on the phone and he knew someone else had already bought it but offered more money to make the sale.

The least the seller could have done was given me an opportunity to match the price since I was already buying it, but he just saw the extra 75 bucks and said sold.

Im done venting now....its done and over with...no need to whine about it anymore :lol: ...but still that was my lsd 5spd dr awd and rebuilder block/heads for the wagon....darn it!!! hahahahah

good nite all and thanks for letting me vent. probably never find another score like that one :slobber:

yeah....I figured that much as far as the agreement....besides Id never do anything about it just be a little frustrated, thats all. The irritating part was the guy wanting to buy it was standing there when I was talking to the seller on the phone and he knew someone else had already bought it but offered more money to make the sale.

The least the seller could have done was given me an opportunity to match the price since I was already buying it, but he just saw the extra 75 bucks and said sold.

Im done venting now....its done and over with...no need to whine about it anymore :lol: ...but still that was my lsd 5spd dr awd and rebuilder block/heads for the wagon....darn it!!! hahahahah

good nite all and thanks for letting me vent. probably never find another score like that one :slobber:

Unless its better then tha score.........If/when I get my secret mobile, I'll let ya know f it was good score for 200 bucks:D

Not cool, but still not illegal. I woulda came over that second when he said "sold" and got it. Wasnt there someone else who was told they'd get a car... went to get it the next day to find it already gone? May this be a lesson learned.

Oh, and your not the only one its happen to. Ive been burned a couple times as well, just shrug it off.

-Brian

Think of it this way: If the guy who had it for sale is unscrupulous enough to strike a second deal after yours, would you trust him to believe you were getting what he said you were? There may have been problems he wasn't disclosing - if he's dishonest about one thing, it's quite possible he's dishonest about others as well. You may have dodged a bullet.

:slobber:

I had the same thing happen when I called a guy up to put in an offer for a bulldozer I wanted. The other guy was there as I talked to the guy and he told me I could have it if the other guy didn't want it. Missed it by five minutes.

I just had something worse happen to me. I decided to get rid of a car I owned (a Subaru) , but didn't want it to go to the junkyard because it still had a lot of life left in it . So I offered it for sale on the board (actually meaning to give it to the first person who really needed a car and would give it a good home). I had two quick responces and the first person was the one who ended up with the car. He told me how his first car had been rearended and he needed something to drive until he could get a project car ready to run. When he asked me the price of the car, I told him I would rather trade services for the car. He didn't respond to that offer, so I asked him how much would he offer for the car. He offered $200 if it would pass emissions. When he finally called my house, I told him that I had actually planned to give the car away for free to a person in need. He said he would pick it up the next night. I gave him the car, title , a gallon of antifreeze, bottle of oil and saw him on his way. The car was a good runner that averaged 28 MPG. It was a beater, but a dependable beater. Imagine my surprise when the person posted that he had a new daily driver and included a picture of his Subaru. Unfortunately, it wasn't my old one. Nor were the other two/ possibly three Subarus in the picture in front of his house. I emailed him concerning the repair of the transmission (wouldn't shift into third) , got no responce so I have to assume that my old Subaru is now either sitting in a junkyard or was rendered down into parts to finance the car project he was working on. In all honesty, I gave him the title, so the car was his to do with as he wished. I just wished it a better fate. So you can see... not only do the buyers get had from time to time. Good Karma will come to those who do good , and the others will get thier rewards also.......

Dog1

• 5 months later...

A smart and fair man would have told the other guy, "ya know I had another fella make me an offer and if you'd like to make an offer or wait till he gets here, I'll let it go to the highest bidder. That way everyone had a fair chance.

I sympathize with you, but have also had lots of people change thier minds after a phone call and never show.

You know, I been thinking about this today while out in the shop. (I read the first post on this with morning cofee) I'ts so easy to get discouraged about human nature cause there is so much of this "lack of honour" thing going around in the world today.

But then I stop to realize that it is often the ones that "burn" us that stick out in memory, and get talked about.

But really, I think most people are honest. More than not, anyway. Hopefully, we expect it. Honesty and honor, that is.

I know I have to watch myself, keep checking, to make sure I don't become too cynical, and start expecting people to fxxx me. I mean, sure it happens somethimes. But it's the exception. I want to remember that, and keep it in mind. Otherwise, I can become paranoid. No fun.

Pyro

AArgh, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Pyro

Hopefully you turned in the transfer of ownership papers to the state DOL. No telling what this guy did with the car after he got it. If he abandons it on the highway and it gets towed you'll be liable for towing and storage ($$$$$$$) if you didn't file the proper papers. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice.

I had the same thing happen when I called a guy up to put in an offer for a bulldozer I wanted. The other guy was there as I talked to the guy and he told me I could have it if the other guy didn't want it. Missed it by five minutes.

I just had something worse happen to me. I decided to get rid of a car I owned (a Subaru) , but didn't want it to go to the junkyard because it still had a lot of life left in it . So I offered it for sale on the board (actually meaning to give it to the first person who really needed a car and would give it a good home). I had two quick responces and the first person was the one who ended up with the car. He told me how his first car had been rearended and he needed something to drive until he could get a project car ready to run. When he asked me the price of the car, I told him I would rather trade services for the car. He didn't respond to that offer, so I asked him how much would he offer for the car. He offered $200 if it would pass emissions. When he finally called my house, I told him that I had actually planned to give the car away for free to a person in need. He said he would pick it up the next night. I gave him the car, title , a gallon of antifreeze, bottle of oil and saw him on his way. The car was a good runner that averaged 28 MPG. It was a beater, but a dependable beater. Imagine my surprise when the person posted that he had a new daily driver and included a picture of his Subaru. Unfortunately, it wasn't my old one. Nor were the other two/ possibly three Subarus in the picture in front of his house. I emailed him concerning the repair of the transmission (wouldn't shift into third) , got no responce so I have to assume that my old Subaru is now either sitting in a junkyard or was rendered down into parts to finance the car project he was working on. In all honesty, I gave him the title, so the car was his to do with as he wished. I just wished it a better fate. So you can see... not only do the buyers get had from time to time. Good Karma will come to those who do good , and the others will get thier rewards also.......

Dog1

Hopefully you turned in the transfer of ownership papers to the state DOL. No telling what this guy did with the car after he got it. If he abandons it on the highway and it gets towed you'll be liable for towing and storage ($$$$$$$) if you didn't file the proper papers. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice.

For sure... My dad tells a story about a former co-worker. He sold a car, did not inform the DMV about it. Few months later police with guns were knocking on his door :confused: Apparently his car was used in a robbery of some sort, and the buyers never transfered the title, so, it got traced back to him. After some explaining there were no repercussions in his direction about it.

You know, I been thinking about this today while out in the shop. (I read the first post on this with morning cofee) I'ts so easy to get discouraged about human nature cause there is so much of this "lack of honour" thing going around in the world today.

But then I stop to realize that it is often the ones that "burn" us that stick out in memory, and get talked about.

But really, I think most people are honest. More than not, anyway. Hopefully, we expect it. Honesty and honor, that is.

I know I have to watch myself, keep checking, to make sure I don't become too cynical, and start expecting people to fxxx me. I mean, sure it happens somethimes. But it's the exception. I want to remember that, and keep it in mind. Otherwise, I can become paranoid. No fun.

Pyro

AArgh, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Pyro

this is so true. it is a lot harder to remember to good deals than it is bad ones

Perfectly legal. And I really fault the seller, not anyone who is interested in the vehicle. The guy came out to buy a car, he had money in his pocket. He made an offer on it, after someone else makes an offer. It was the sellers responsiblility to say "No, sorry I have already sold it"

The seller should have never told you that he was going to sell it to you.

You aren't a cynic, not quite yet... you trusted him. There's a fine line between a realist or a cynic... realists know people are out for their own gain yet deep down inside, still trust people. Cynics also know that people suck, but show up with cash on the barrel head, no chance to back out. Done deal.

this is so true. it is a lot harder to remember to good deals than it is bad ones

Yes but I remember the good deals a lot as well... like the motor and the crap load of parts I got from you Stan:D and when I traded an '87 Justy for my '78 Brat because I'd rather the Justy go to impound then the Brat and sure enough, the Justy was in the impound yard...