Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Officially a member of the 200K club

Well, it finally happened - my Subaru finally turned 200,000 miles!!

I put nearly 100 miles a day, 5 days a week on this car, and she just keeps on going!

There arent many cars that I would trust with this many miles on them, but i wouldnt hesitate to drive this car across the country cause I know she would make it.

next milestone, 250K!!

Long live the SUBARU!!!! :D

and dont forget about keeping the oil topped off!! I dont do oil changes anymore, but I do oil FILTER changes regularly! :grin:

poor ol girl is leaking enough oil to need a quart just about every fillup these days (have plans to remedy that situation soon tho)

she also does have the "cancer" associated with living in the salt belt, but amazingly the undercarraige is still in pretty good shape - mostly cosmetic corrosion.

:mad: mine doesnt feel like its going to last 200k miles. something is constantly wrong with it. i just did wheel bearings, tyres, struts, and it needs timing belt, seemingly every seal in the engine, v belts, shifter got lots of play in it, pinch bolt in the steering knuckle broke when I tried changing the ball joint and it grinds 3rd. engine runs super smooth after adding additional grounds like those sold on ebay.

engine runs super smooth after adding additional grounds like those sold on ebay.

Oksy, I don't mean to sound dumb here, but what do you mean "extra grounds"?

How would they help? If they do, where do I get them? Do you have a link to the item you bought on ebay?

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks again,

200,000 mi on a Subaru seems to be the norm around our house. My '87 GL 5 speed 4wd wagon went 238.000 mi. before New England winters took it's toll on the frame. We lived in the snow belt of north central Massachusetts which meant living on salted roads from Nov. to May. I bought an '89 GL 3 spd auto sedan "parts" car from one of my students for $100 and when the rear suspension of the wagon broke from corrosion, I swapped out the radiator and alternator which was all the '89 GL needed to be roadworthy. Now I commute in the '89 and it has 262,000 mi. on the clock. My only concern is it has no overdrive and the engine turns over much faster (4,000 rpm ) at 70 mi/hr than my 5 spd '87 wagon which I never ran over 3500 rpm.

well when i got my wagon it had 274,000 on it and since i dont drive it very much because of insurance reasons i have only got it up to about 276,500 the guy who had it before me drove it from were i live to seattle everyday which is about 150 miles one way. still runs great even how i drive it:brow:

My work Brat has 286k on the speedo, then the speedo drive gear in the gearbox crapped out, that was a year ago, don't have a clue how many now but l can tell you it's still on the original motor, regular oil changes, every 2000k with filters and keeping her in tune has allowed this motor to remain vertually untouched, a couple of alternators and a carb is all l can remember going wrong with it, cv's on the other hand are a different story.

Redskin