Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my hatch is now er27ified!(new pic)almost done.

Argh I'm still sore from wresteling that over weight goat in there. Sure was funny seeing how low it made my GL wagon sit with that full ER27 engine assembly in the back of my wagon... no pics of that :( Acutally getting it in there and even bolted to the tranny wasnt that bad.... now getting the motor mounts to line up at the crossmember is rough. Got some pics now of it in the hatch though.... IT FITS :drunk:

Shots before ER27:

brownie01.jpg

brownie02.jpg

brownie03.jpg

brownie05_northshore.jpg

Shots of ER27!

brownie07_ER27.jpg

brownie08_ER27.jpg

brownie09_ER27.jpg

ok, now i got the motor back in, it was alot easier after i cut out the lower radiator support, and made a little room towards the rear of the valve covers, with a grinder and hammer. i also cut off one of the ears for adjusting the timing on the disty.

oh crap, im an hour late for work! =]

the pics of the exterior of the car is when it had ea82 mpfi in there, so i have a good handle on the wiring. should be runing any day now =].

it should be extra fast right? anyone have any power to weight comparisons, or guesses on 0-60 mile times, if you base them off of the xt6? and consider my car weighed 2100lbs with the smaller motor? i realy cant wait to floor it =]

the pics of the exterior of the car is when it had ea82 mpfi in there, so i have a good handle on the wiring. should be runing any day now =].

it should be extra fast right? anyone have any power to weight comparisons, or guesses on 0-60 mile times, if you base them off of the xt6? and consider my car weighed 2100lbs with the smaller motor? i realy cant wait to floor it =]

I can't wait to be in it when you floor it !_!

I wonder if it would be easier to mate the tranny and install the motor into the car if you unbolted and dropped both crossmembers free of the car.

Just a thought. Nice work though, gives me all sort of ideas for my own hatch. :lol:

it snapped onto the tranny easy, it was tough to get the motor mounts far enough towards the rear of the car to pop into the holes. i ended up loosening the bolts that hold the tranny to its crossmember.

taking out one of the passenger side headlights is a must also. the cam cover sticks forward an extra inch on that side.

For the motor mounts, the easiest way is to unbolt the big round ones from the 27, then bolt on the ones from the EA81, they will go into the rear holes if I remember correctly, then it will fall right into the holes in the crossmember. Either that, or you can cut new holes for them to go into.

From the looks of it you are useing the stock 4spd in there. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long, from my experience those trannies aren't built enough to handle the power output, you will either shred reverse, or your high range syncro. Might want to look into a 5spd in the future. I can say though, that that thing is going to be one little speed demon!! Heck, mine can turn 30" tires and over 3000 pounds at some pretty insane speeds, a stock hatch will be almost scary!!

For the motor mounts, the easiest way is to unbolt the big round ones from the 27, then bolt on the ones from the EA81, they will go into the rear holes if I remember correctly, then it will fall right into the holes in the crossmember. Either that, or you can cut new holes for them to go into.

From the looks of it you are useing the stock 4spd in there. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long, from my experience those trannies aren't built enough to handle the power output, you will either shred reverse, or your high range syncro. Might want to look into a 5spd in the future. I can say though, that that thing is going to be one little speed demon!! Heck, mine can turn 30" tires and over 3000 pounds at some pretty insane speeds, a stock hatch will be almost scary!!

ah, that makes me feel good =].

i'll have to see how the 4 speed works. i had planned on turboing it with a 5 speed, but i have to be out of my garage by the first of the year, so i kinda just gotta get it runin.

seems like the standard ea mounts will work. im runin the big squishy rubber ones. i think im gonna solid mount it after i build the front motor mount.

ah, that makes me feel good =].

i'll have to see how the 4 speed works. i had planned on turboing it with a 5 speed, but <snip>

Hey if you do get it turboed be sure to let us know the particulars... turbo'ing the ER27 is the "holy grail" of the XT6 world. Our biggest issue to date has been the question of how does one handle engine management. The best we can assume at this point is that you have to use some aftermarket "piggyback" ECU.

Obviously the "plumbing" and fuel delivery have to be addressed too, but those are probably relatively minor in comparison. The piping is mostly a matter of money and the fuel pump and injectors can be sourced from other cars or even modified stockers perhaps.

One final area to consider is the 9.5:1 compression pistons. You'd probably have to run low boost (like 7psi or so) or, better yet, get six 8.5:1 pistons from an EA82T (XT Turbo, Turbo RX, or whatever). Okay from TWO EA82Ts, I guess. :rolleyes:

fuel management is not stopping anyone from turboing an er27. they should handle stock boost, the way they sit.

rising rate fpr will fix higher boost problems. and 9.5:1 is what id want for a turbo. there are turbo cars with 11:1 compression runing 14 lbs of boost. its all about tuning =] and the high comp with the turbo would make for some mean low end, and top end power.