Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the cams are specialty for the turbo motor they won't be massive, they will be somewhere around a mild torque grind.

I'd also like to ask the obvious question, how much horse do you really think that you are getting from the oil cooler, cause as near as i can figure, thats an extra quart of oil and the extra lines so its extra weight.

are you sure that the tazzo is calibrated correctly, cause if you have the vehicle weight in KG but in the tazzo its in pounds that would definatly skew the torque.

with the stock EA-81 people snap axles all the time, albeit off road with bigger tires, but how many axles have you broken, cause if your not snapping them left and right your not putting down the horses

Yes the Tazzo is lighted up and yes i do put everything in pounds. I will go to the weigh scale and get the exact weight of the car with me in it, then i will do some testing as soon as i get ahold of my buddy with the Tazzo.

So you have had 6 days short of 5 MONTHS to produce pictures of this car.

Smells like one of JWs first posts to me.

Hey, but I'm an optimist, would like to see pictures of the FMIC to see how you plumbed the tubing.

BTW, I had a 1965 Buick GS 401. Ah, What a sleeper.

Jay

tazzo pic, this is the best i could do today because the tazzo works while the car is under load and i kept getting wheelspin which causes lower hp but not much, and this is WHP. On a dyno machine i won't be getting wheelspin nor will i have windresitance from driving so the dyno results should be the same but more likely higher. I don't expect hp from the oil cooler i just expect it to keep my engine temp low, and my cooler weighs maybe 3 pounds with the lines,filter, and cooler itself.

post-119-136027587491_thumb.jpg

I think we all know what a 86 XT looks like. How about some pics of these Camaro injectors in your car!:D

WJM. can you explain those cam specs to me. Is the top one a stock cam and the bottom one a regrind? Those are both very "small" profiles. The WRX stock cam has 208 @ .050" duration and .3622" of lift. Those cams are what you would expect to find on an emissions legal production car. IMHO i wouldnt go to all the hassle for such a small cam.

here are some pics of the engine and stuff, gotta get a better digital camera the pics are kinda blury. My front mount intercooler is getting fixed because of a nice stone, but i did micky mouse my old one in there for now. As for the wing it makes the ricers want to race more so i get to have more fun plus it does kind of look cool.

post-119-136027587508_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by scoobie steve

WJM. can you explain those cam specs to me. Is the top one a stock cam and the bottom one a regrind? Those are both very "small" profiles. The WRX stock cam has 208 @ .050" duration and .3622" of lift. Those cams are what you would expect to find on an emissions legal production car. IMHO i wouldnt go to all the hassle for such a small cam.

steve,

im pretty sure the bottom is a weld and re-grind, its not too crazy but then again anything is an improvement...he says 20HP, probably well worth it for the cost.

a friend of mine (the guy i told you about the other day) had cams done at paeco for the same engine and his were pretty radical - but it barely ran at idle.

All the plumbing for my front mount cooler are sitting on my shelf in my garage, its rather easy to take on and off. I just used pvc and intercooler hose so its easy to take off in times like when it has to get fixed. The one on there is basicly set up the same way but the ends were different so i didn't mount it in the same place as the other. Now here are my exact cam specs, intake-opens 30 closes 70 lift 336, exhaust-opens 70 closes 30 lift 336. The idle is kind of eratic, i don't know whether its the cams or the injectors causing this, but it doesn't matter beacause it doesn't effect performance whatsoever.These cams are built to my specs and if you don't have what i have, your engine won't perform or run correctly. This car is just an experiment for me since i have never done an import before. The hp will only rise from here cause this is not enough for me, i have been toying with the idea of adding a second turbo instead of a bigger one, kind of like the way they set up the sequetial turbo's on the mid 90's twin turbo supra's. But i will more than likely modify a bigger turbo onto the car instead, we'll see which one is easier when i get there.

Oh yeah one more thing, with the new cams and titanium stuff the rpm band sure rose. Shifting at 7200rpm is no problem and i haven't expierianced fuel cut or anything and i have taken it as high as 8000rpm by accident a couple of times since the little sucker revs so fast. The power band seems real strong in the 3500-7000rpm range. Way higher than it used to be.

Hey Dennis, I was just looking through my old paeco book. Their middle cam grind, 3000-6600rpm power range has an advertised 280deg of duration (same as dj72's) but ALOT more lift .492" If that lift is correct and if its possible to run that much lift without interference it will make a killer cam!

Thats interesting about those cam specs. When i did a lifter clean on my engine (which was built up as a rally motor before it ended up in my car) i saw it had billet cams with those numbers on them : 30-70 70-30 , no idea of lift but they look like big wheels compared to standard cams. Unfortunatley i have no idea of how well they work due to low comp in one cylinder from i suspect a leaky valve which is throwing vacuum and mixtures to hell. Next job is pulling the heads to fix that.

Dennis, those cams idle really rough the sam as DJs, and the cost me less than $120 for a PAIR, as peaco wants 210 per cam. yes, its a regrind. And it sure feels like more than 20....

And unfortunatly, due to no time left, i wont have those cams installed by the time for dyno. This was the only day I had to do it, as yes, I had the cams out and ready to go, but since the wagon is my only source of trans, and I have to be at work in a n hour, I cant get it done. Dyno day is tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow, and i dont have a shop....if I had a shop, and time off tomorrow, id have it.

So, here is what I will run on the dyno:

Engine: EA82T, 9.5:1 compression.

8PSI boost, stock turbo, No IC

Open intake (cone filter stuck on AFM), and bottomless stock downpipe (cut at canister end, no cat)

100 octane competition fuel

30+ deg of timing (may change)

And unless otherwise specified, everything else is stock.

Pleiades and I will be posting numbers later in the evening, he will post numbers for a as if stock RX, then with boost increases.

Originally posted by scoobie steve

Hey Dennis, I was just looking through my old paeco book. Their middle cam grind, 3000-6600rpm power range has an advertised 280deg of duration (same as dj72's) but ALOT more lift .492" If that lift is correct and if its possible to run that much lift without interference it will make a killer cam!

is this for the EA82T? would probably run like **** at idle, but who cares about idling...

how are paecos prices for our cars?