Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The RX wagon is getting a new motor, EJ time baby!

Ok,After much thought on the subject, i am going to venture to the dark side.:lol: sorta . ive decided that since i will soon be getting the megasquirt , im gonna ditch the 1.8t. Really, if it can tune/run any motor, why bother with the ea82? i rather have more reliable engine that has more power and potenial.

so in the next few months (since im starting a new job) the wagon be starting the procces of getting a turbo EJ20 or EJ22.

i made a post regarding how the xt6 tranny would handle it..if it last for a few years, that would be a mirracle. if not, Im sure i can get enought time out of it to do a tranny swap later on. im sure i going to want to replace it with an Ej tranny anyway. I've allrady talked to john about the adaptor plates, but there is a few more people on my list I need to have discussions with.

-Brad

cause i like the fact that the awd xt6 tranny has the diff lock

since you are going EJ, dump the EA box. the center diffs in those are better overall than ANY diff in an EA box. you are either open and transmitting 100% of the power to the side of least resistance or 50/50 lock with NO compromise.

Also, the MS system will only run fuel, you need to add something to control spark... since EJ's dont have disty's.

Im going to be doing the same thing with my RX, but with a hopped up N/A EJ22.

-Brian

Traitor. :banghead:

MS+DIS. MS does have an add on to control timing totally.

and since when is SS a mod? :confused:

some of the over seas EJ engines actually had disty's and carbs. :eek:
The EJ15 and EJ16 came that way, mainly because they were sold to third world countries. You probably won't find them in any Japanese motor importer's shop. As far as I know, these were not available in Japan, with the possible exception of the north island, which is pretty rural when compared to the rest of Japan. I wonder if the MS+ setup can be used with the Subaru triggering system. Subaru uses two sensors, and crank angle sensor and a cam angle sensor to calculate the firing of the sparkplugs. I think that they are the only ones who use that system, so the MS+ may not cover that. I would definately get on the phone or e-mail them to find out before I took the leap. A lot of the engines at these Japanese motor shops do not come with an ECU, and aftermarket ECU that will work start at around $1000.00 (one thousand). WJM is right on with his comments about the tranny, comparing the two is like night and day, the EJ series is far superior.

Carb EJ engines could be had in any SOHC version..the DOHC versions don't have the casting in the right hand side head for the distributor..some SOHC EJs that came EFI had a plug in the head where the disti went some had no hole at all..I never found out whether they had the camshaft with a gear to actually run the disti or not on the efi models..obviously one needs an intake that supports the hitachi carb..

When we did the carb EJ18 it was about as easy as putting another carbed ea82 in there..I should say that we only got EJ18s carburetted anything bigger was efi..strangely only the legacy DL wagons were carbed with a 5speed but the same EJ18 GL wagon had spfi and the ej20 and ej22 cars were MPFI with the 2.2 being labeled Legacy GX and being the only one standard with AWD..

MS & S extra will control spark on an EJ, it's been done on hardcore sand rail motors. I believe the general approach is to add the Ford edis wheel, vr sensor, control module rather than try to tie into the stock subaru trigger mech.

Have a search around MSEFI.com and see if more detail is available....

Yes Brad, you are a traitor, but we still love ya man....

garner

Let me see, Barbados, that's a third world country isn't it?? I guess that they also made EJ18 carb'd engine for third world countries. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against third world countries, it just proves my point that only those countries got carb'd engines.

Actually Barbados is classified as 'second world' or 'developing nation'

We take our subs seriously down here be they 2wd 4wd or 3.5wd like mine :-)

EJ to 'L-series'...Please use the EJ tranny..alteration to the drive shaft is like nothing 2 most machine shops..and we managed to rig up the shift linkage quite easily on the EJ18 conversion but I'll admit we were only dealing with a fwd tranny.. hmm having really scoped out my LHD parts car I got no idea how Corkey rigged up the hydraulic clutch MC on UltimateRX.. it is bloody easy on RHD cars..I hope someone else attempts this conversion..our poor abused 20 year old cars deserve a good 16valve heart ;)

I wonder if the MS+ setup can be used with the Subaru triggering system. Subaru uses two sensors, and crank angle sensor and a cam angle sensor to calculate the firing of the sparkplugs. I think that they are the only ones who use that system, so the MS+ may not cover that.

Detroit Diesel uses both sensors to calculate their injection pulse width!

:lol:

Early Motronic ignition systems on BMW's use a system which has two magnetic pickups on the engine bell housing to detect speed and position for fuel injection and ignition. I will say from expierence that that is a hard system to deal with if it breaks - two computers - one for warm-up, one for everything else. Also there is no capacity for on-board diagnostics and no "check engine" light - it works or it doesn't.

Early Motronic ignition systems on BMW's use a system which has two magnetic pickups on the engine bell housing to detect speed and position for fuel injection and ignition. I will say from expierence that that is a hard system to deal with if it breaks - two computers - one for warm-up, one for everything else. Also there is no capacity for on-board diagnostics and no "check engine" light - it works or it doesn't.

That's hilarious! "Uh oh, looks like you've got a problem with the engine computer, time for a new system. That'll be $2000 please."