Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What IS The Ultimate Offroad Subaru?

Jibs

This could be a good post for new members who want to offroad mod their soob, and I have a burning question that I want answered as well:

Using only subaru parts, what is the absolute BEST offroad setup? This is an all terrain question, not just one or another. thanks

ea 81 any modle

4-6" of lift

30" mud terrains

locked rear, lsd front

custom bumpers w/tow hooks

warn 6000 winch front and rear

full internall rollcage

onboard welder

drain plugs in the floor

don't know if anyones done this yet, tube doors for better visability on the trail

rock sliders to save rocker panles

Lots of skidplates

tools

spare psrts

recovey equipment

room for the dog

:drunk:

I say all of the above.

But,

1) 1982 Brat

2) Ea81

3) 4" lift kit

4) 27 or 28" tires

5) LSD

6) Custom Bumpers with winch mount

7) Rollbar

8) Back end "bobbed"

Sounds like a Brat I used to have. Ask everyone who got the "high marks" when I was on the trail with other Soobs. . . open diff too. lol

But I think, after as much Soobie offroad experience as anyone on the planet, that big crazy road warrier bumpers just add weight. When I go out, I plan on not crashing into stuff. A skid plate is neccessary to keep the Y-pipes safe, no more. Less weight is a huge advantage offroad.

As for big lifts, transfer cases, extra power from motor upgrade, 31+s blah blah blah. . .

Last year at the mud pit at WCSS6, my 4/3 PK Davis lifted hatch with 27 inch swampers and a welded rear diff went through three times with no breakage, then I drove it 400 miles home packed full of gear. *edit* Oh yeah, then it drove 1200 miles to CO. from WA. a week later, then it showed up in photos workin it at Moab. *edit*

3 brats with the above lift-transfer case-big tire-set up all broke first time thru. 2 of them went home on trailers, one after fix.

(yes Caboobaroo, I did get pulled backwards 3 times to get a better line so I could continue forwards)

With all that said,

Skills Behind the Wheel make the best Soobie offroader.

You should see Austin behind the wheel. Yeah.

imo i have to agree with the driver comment.i used to 4 wheel at some salt pits outside of fairbanks and did not know how to drive them,got stuck every time and was pulled out by stock vehicles.the rocks on the backside of ft. wainwright were another story.i crawleed them numerous times on different lines and sat and drank beers watching all kinds of full sized trucks flail around and break stuff.i did my wheelin in alaska with an 89 ford ranger that had a 4 inch rancho lift and 32 inch bf goodrich muddies on it.it all depends on your driving skills.my wagon was completely stock and i drove it all over oregon and was able to reach places my friends dodge 1500 could not.

I personally don't think theres much difference performance wise between all the body styles. They are all nearly identical underneath. The hatch has a shorter wheelbase and rear overhang, but thats all thats really different.

Really the only big choice is the ea82 vs ea81.

I prefer the ea82 motor, its a bit racier and fuel injection is a plus off-road. I dont like mud much so timing belt worries dont bother me as they would others. I also prefer the ea82 exterior and interior. But to think that an ea82 powered rig could go where an ea81 couldnt or vise versa is wishful thinking. I just enjoy the ea82 more.

My ideal rig using only subaru drivetrain would be an ea82 wagon with ej22 power, going to a 5spd DR with a 4-6" lift and 29s. A modded ea82 turbo would be equally awesome (Hey vanislru, I think I just described your rig :brow: )

If we're talking bastard creations, it would be a bobbed ea82 wagon with a nissan t-case and fully custom r180 IFS/IRS setup welded front/rear, wearing 33s. The nissan IFS hubs would be used all around, so I could unlock the front for the road. again, ej or ea82 turbo power.

My ideal rig using only subaru drivetrain would be an ea82 wagon with ej22 power, going to a 5spd DR with a 4-6" lift and 29s. A modded ea82 turbo would be equally awesome (Hey vanislru, I think I just described your rig :brow: )

I love my ru, in 4 lo turbo lag's not much of an issue, but having the power there from idle would be cool.

I've got a remote mount oversize oil filter w/ oil cooler, and an LSD [installing tomorrow i hope] too.

It really depends on what you want to do. For pure offroading, probably a lifted hatch with an EJ18 or EJ22 and a welded rear end would be the most capable. However, there are more things to consider. That model isn't necessarily practical for everyone, and just about any soob with a lift, d/r tranny, and maybe an LSD is a pretty capable machine.

Note to moderators: Can we PLEASE either get a version of this thread stickied or summarized and posted in the USRM?

What is the reason so many of you prefer ej's?

To me, having a non electronic controlled (ie carb) fuel system seems a huge advantage when it comes to getting home when things go wrong.

A carb won't run as well on steep angles, doesnt give the ideal mixture through the whole rev range. All the EFI connectors on my wagon have rubber gaskets and dielectric grease, and even if a sensor fails, as long as its not the MAF the car can still limp home.

The EJ is the best motor subaru has ever made. The ea81 was simple, reliable but not very powerful, the ea82 was their first attempt at OHC, and is not the most reliable, though it has a bit more power. The EJ was when they got pretty much everything right. Excellent power, excellent reliability.