Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do people hate Loyales?

3 Steps:

1. Get screwdriver

2. Use screwdriver to pop the door trim that says "loyale" off the rear doors.

3. Put on ones from a different subaru, which say "Subaru."

All done! Now nobody will know! As a mean trick to people who have GL's or whatever and make fun of you, go ahead and switch their's TO loyale when they aren't looking. Paybacks a bi*ch.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to the seats Samo. Mine has electric belts too, which don't seem to be doing too bad for electric belts, but I like my belts nice and tight against me. And I like being able to go down my driveway with my belt off, since I have to open my gate whenever I leave.

The lack of map/cargo lights really sucks too. I guess that can be fixed though. I'm going to try.

I have owned just about every model (except 360's) prior to my Loyale. I have never had any problems with the EA-82 SPFI engine, runs great! As far as it missing a few extras, ie D/R, LSD, Turbo, Maplight, well the D/R is just a bolt on, and LSD can get salvage from a wrecking yard and with minor chages can bolt on. Turbo is not the best for off road in my opinion, and a maplight is a 20 minute install from a GL due to the harness allready wired for one. Plus I enjoy tinkering with my cars, always adding things and fixing things. Its a great way to learn. Sooo I really don't have much to complain about. Sure my last GL-10 had all of this but I also had to pay more for it then my Loyale, which had fewer miles on it. The gas mileage is great and the car runs for ever. I have gone everywhere in my Loyale that I went in my GL's. It's just nice to have the EA-82 body and engine, newer with less miles on it available as a Loyale.

I love Subaru's and would gladly take in to my care to give a good home any and all Subaru models. To be a true Soobie lover, one must Love ALL Subarus!;)

Read my signature... i've had EA82's from 1986 to 1992. I think my favorites were 1988's as they had EFI, but still had options.

My 92 Loyale ran good usually, but was slow because it had a 3AT. Had junky door pulls on the front doors, didnt have a footrest (I installed one though) and didnt have maplights (I was too lazy to install those though)

Seats felt cheaper than GL seats in the Loyale.... of course GL-10 seats, or XT seats are preferred by me though.

got great MPG though (in the loyale)

you can't beat my deal on a '91 Loyale 165k for $200, just needed some TLC. new brakes all around, fuel/air filter, plugs, o2, sensor tierod ends, battery, alternator and had to clean the elec. window contacts.yeah it had 90hp stock 14 yrs ago and now it probably has 60hp, but the 4wd works and it runs like a top. and the taxes are $50/yr and the insurance is sooo cheap.

i don't know, my loyale was $400. 94K miles. needed new ball joints and nothing else so far! just oil change, belts and timing belts just to avoid any trouble though.

Just bought my first Loyale for $800.00 with 93K on it. True it is not as fast as I would like it, but where we live here near the Poconos in PA climbing the mountains in the snow is more important. When I buy the next I think I will get a 5 speed instead of the auto.

i got nothing against the loyals

nothing personal but the name just rubs me the wrong way

Call them Leone's then -- that's what both the EA71's/EA81's and EA82's were called for the whole 20 years or so outside of the US, instead of this DL/GL/Loyale stuff. I love going to the parts store and ask for parts for a '89 Leone :D

Yeah, I love the dual range in mine, but I'd still take a pushbutton 4wd one over most other cars out there. I will never ever own another automatic transmission though. As far as the trim levels, I don't notice that much -- perhaps why I'm not impressed with the gadgets on most new cars.

• 1 month later...

there is just one thing that I dont like about them. The head lights. Head lights should not be just a bulb you replace behind a rectangler piece of plastic. It's probbibly just me but I like four head light setups and round ones are that much more better looking in my opinion. any hoo It is still a subaru and relayable and fun what's not to like other than the head lights.

there is just one thing that I dont like about them. The head lights. Head lights should not be just a bulb you replace behind a rectangler piece of plastic. It's probbibly just me but I like four head light setups and round ones are that much more better looking in my opinion. any hoo It is still a subaru and relayable and fun what's not to like other than the head lights.

actually, the headlights on my loyale are bulbs behind glass, not plastic. they still aren't very bright though even though the glass is clean and in good condition

oh you mean the 85-89 DL setup?

actually, the headlights on my loyale are bulbs behind glass, not plastic. they still aren't very bright though even though the glass is clean and in good condition
huh? that's weired because mine are nice and bright. and mine is an '85 so i don't know!!! :rolleyes:

I've had very good luck with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. Expensive but worth it. You might also try treating the outside of the reflector with rain-x.

As for Loyales--the auto seatbelts, the build quality (more resources were going into the Legacy and Impreza), the rear light !!!, the seat fabric (although I find the seats comfortable) looks cheesy even if it is hard wearing, and the total lack of rustproofing. Still haven't seen a rotted Impreza, but all the Loyales around here are toast--usually worse than the GLs and DLs still on the road.

Just bought my first Loyale for $800.00 with 93K on it. True it is not as fast as I would like it, but where we live here near the Poconos in PA climbing the mountains in the snow is more important. When I buy the next I think I will get a 5 speed instead of the auto.
I know that mountain! I use to live there but back then i drove an AMC pacer not bad in the snow but no sube!

I've had two, a '92....

And now I have that '92! I drive it to work every day, take it camping a few times a year, and drive my daughter around in it. It's my favorite car ever. I can't believe how reliable it is, considering that it's approaching 200k miles. My daughter is 3 years old, and I keep joking that it'll be her first car.

It's interesting that so many people are mentioning the name as a reason for not liking the Loyale. It is kind of a weird name for a car (not quite as weird as the Probe or the Aspire, but weird.)

I sometimes think I am the poster child for absolutely LOVING Loyales...they are quirkie but that gives them personality. I adore my Loyale and have owned this car longer than anything in the past.....i usually buy cheap beaters for a couple hundred bucks ..run them till something breaks and chuck it and find another. One vehicle I owned longer was my ford Ranger which I bought new.

Oh did I mention I LOVE my Loyale????