Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ran my RX at the drag strip

87 RX 3 door delta cams, spider intake, k&n, open downpipe, wrx intercooler, saab bypass valve, removed all the emissions stuff and ac, 15-17 psi 20mm sway bars, 2wd xt front struts, turbo timer I have one of those wrx look alike scoops from ebay i need to put on

Elevation at the track is approximately 5300 feet

This is my best pass so far

60 ft 2.170

660 ft 9.604

et 15.089

mph 89.54

Not too bad. When i first got the car it ran 19.5 with 12psi and bottomless airbox.

Heres some pictures. Not very good because i used my friends camera phone

251rx_engine.jpg

251my_rx_downpipe.jpg

251the_driveway.jpg

251rx_hoopty_scoop.jpg

Very nice job thanks for sharing.

me bets that puppy

"BARKS"

You have the wastegate opening just vented

to the atmosphere!!!

Very nice job on the IC ect instal.

Exactly what I am doing to my 88 RX

(aside from I'll be using a WRX by pass valve)

Can you email better pictures?

Is that initial time of 19.5s correct?

I new that the EA82T's were really under tuned, but sounds really slow.

Admittedly, its at a fairly high alitude.

The car wtih a pic in my signature runs a 2.0L non intercooler turbo diesel & I've got an 18.4s 1/4 out if it bog stock.

Good work on getting the extra speed out of it, that's a pretty good gain.

Cool.

Nice work and a nice stable...

Love that down pipe.

What are the cams like, are they something off the shelf or custom grind? What part of the RPM range is it suppose to help, what is the strong RPM range, still around 3k to 6K???

Is you clutch slipping? I thought I had a pretty good clutch but on an all out run it slips.

Ill get some better pictures. I would use a wrx valve but the intercooler didn't come with it and i havn't found one cheap enough yet. I got the saab bypass valve free when my friend bought a saab turbo at the u pull u save. I can shoot a fireball with a loud pop out the downpipe anytime i want to.

19.5s is correct. I think the engine was real tired because it lost compression shortly after lots of blowby. When i tore it down there were some cracks on the lands of the pistons and a little rust on the cylinders like a head gasket had blown and it sat for a while. After a rebuild i pulled 16.8 stock with the down pipe and cams.

The cams are Delta cams. The ones that some other people on the board were talking about last year. It pulls from 3k to redline. The downpipe is the stock bend with the cat removed.

My clutch only slips when it is cold. Its weird. I was suprised that hooked up as good as it did at the track. In the mornings it will slip at part throttle in 3rd. It is a clutch i found in my garage that came out of severly overheated 87 wagon(dropped the valve seats). I put it in when my old clutch went. It looked fairly new. Im going to look into getting a custom clutch built.

The next I'd be planning if I were you would be to modify the dump pipe. The factory one with the plate over the wastegate is extremely restrictive & causes a massive backpressure problem due to the wastegate not being aboe to escape properly.

It comes out, hits a plate straight away, then has to turn 90 degrees, & then hits the exhaust gas coming out of the turbine.

Get the hole enlarged on the wastegate side of the dump pipe to match the shape of the gasket, & then blend the pipe in.

Boost response will be much quicker & probably will hold a higher boost level too.

Stock fuel system. I can run that much boost because the air is thinner up here. I dont run that much boost everyday anyway. Well not yet. I dont hit fuel cut at 12 psi like you guys at lower altitudes. After I left the track I hit fuel cut because my boost was spiking to like 22psi. I turned it back down right away. I may be running a little lean. I dont know. Im going to get an air fuel gauge. I have an egt gauge and a probe i need to install. I have a set of turbo 300zx injectors im going to experiment with. I also noticed that 300zx has a larger 3 inch maf with the same plug as our hotwire maf. I was looking on z31.com and it said the stock injectors flow 259cc. But I also think they run more fuel pressure than the ea82t.

Its pretty loud. Sometimes when im talking to some in another car they cant here me. Ive only got 1 muffler ticket. It was a fix it. The day after i put my engine back in. That was I put a muffler on but the court didnt even go out and look at it. I took it back off a couple months later. That was last year. Been pulled over by the same cop and he didnt say anything about it.

I need to build a better down pipe and a header.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 87 RX turbo also. I am running a stock engine and cams with a bunch of ad-ons to the engine.

My best 1/4 mile time was 14.2 (1986 GL-10 converted to 4wd) but I was having transmission problems that wouldn't let me shift into 5th (mismatched tires in 4wd, not a good thing), I just floated the valves in 4th at 93mph. I've since changed the setup over to the RX and completely stripped/junked the GL-10.

The RX only has 125k vs the 200+ on the GL-10. I've transfered most of the go-fast goodies over to the RX and I will be racing it tomorrow night at Portland intenational raceway in Oregon. Here's my setup:

Stock engine, stock cams, stock clutch, stock turbo, stock everything except:

* intercooler from Ford Thunderbird and home-built fiberglass scoop. Two washer pumps sprayed icewater on top or intercooler. Now the RX is setup with a home-built water-to-air intercooler instead.

* BOV from Eclipse, crushed a little bit to seal at 20psi.

* Gutted the A/C system

* 2.25" home-built down pipe with glasspack sawed in half and the end capped, yeah noisy.

* Home built intercooler to throttlebody pipe (on stock non-spider intake);

* 5th injector plumbed to spray AVgas right above throttle plate.

* Chevy S-10 washer fluid tank for intercooler reservoir and electric water pump from Volvo or Saab. 5/8" water lines

* Home-built boost controller set at 19psi- until I get another boost guage that reads over 20psi!

* Cut the hell out of the intake baffle in the fender and installed K&N filter.

* Check engine light comes on above 12 psi and then goes back off!

---QUESTION- How much of a performance increase did you see from the Delta Cam regrind? I have been considering this for some time. It's only $135 and they are semi-local. Do they have a variation of regrinds or just one performance profile for the EA-82t? Also- did the reground cams require any changes to the valvetrain, adjustments? Thanks a million, I'll post my times after tomorrow night!!!

-Chuck- Portland, Oregon

ps: how do I post a pic of my setup on here?

Quick note on the Air/fuel guage:

Use a second 02 sensor, I hooked the meter up to mine and it threw my spark timing off 90 degrees! The engine obviously wouldn't start until I removed it. The threaded 02 bungholes (I said bungholes) are available at some muffler shops for about $5.

-Chuck- Portland, Oregon

Stock fuel system. I can run that much boost because the air is thinner up here. I dont run that much boost everyday anyway. Well not yet. I dont hit fuel cut at 12 psi like you guys at lower altitudes. After I left the track I hit fuel cut because my boost was spiking to like 22psi. I turned it back down right away. I may be running a little lean. I dont know. Im going to get an air fuel gauge. I have an egt gauge and a probe i need to install. I have a set of turbo 300zx injectors im going to experiment with. I also noticed that 300zx has a larger 3 inch maf with the same plug as our hotwire maf. I was looking on z31.com and it said the stock injectors flow 259cc. But I also think they run more fuel pressure than the ea82t.

Its pretty loud. Sometimes when im talking to some in another car they cant here me. Ive only got 1 muffler ticket. It was a fix it. The day after i put my engine back in. That was I put a muffler on but the court didnt even go out and look at it. I took it back off a couple months later. That was last year. Been pulled over by the same cop and he didnt say anything about it.

I need to build a better down pipe and a header.

I also noticed that 300zx has a larger 3 inch maf with the same plug as our hotwire maf. I was looking on z31.com and it said the stock injectors flow 259cc. But I also think they run more fuel pressure than the ea82t.

This is VERY interesting information. First off, that maf sensor you are speaking of plugs right into our stock Maf sensor harness. This is what you are stating right? Has anyone tried this already? I'd love to try it out before turning up the boost. It would be interesting to see what performance gain/loss could be had with stock boost settings and just a change in the Maf sensor housing.

I never checked to see if the RX turbo and XT6 has the same type of maf sensor plug. If they do and the Nissan maf sensor plugs into the XT6s maf sensor wiring, I will thank you a million times over. I've been looking for something like this for a while.

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1862&highlight=svx+maf+sensor

Now onto the fuel injector. Our stock fuel injectors are rated at 245cc. There's no point into going to a fuel injector that flows at 259ccs. I'd think something larger would be in order.

On another related note, congrats on your 1/4 mile times, especially at your altitude. With my current mods, I was only able to muster a lousy 19.2 @ 75mph the one and only time I ran my RX turbo at the dragstrip recently. I'm a lousy driver and my 60ft time was 2.8 so that says a lot. Plus, I shift slower than my grandmother. I don't care though. :rolleyes: I was more interested in my trap speed and was somewhat disappointed. My Outback Sport wagon traps at that speed with less hp. I got work to do....

Double check that the pins are in the same positions on the Nissan & Subie MAF sensors, you might have to rewire the plug for it to work.

I hope that 19.2 was at high altitude, because my stock 2.0 SOHC 8V mechanical injection non-intercooled turbo diesel Toyota wagon has run an 18.4 at almost sea level. oh yeah, 50kW (75hp) at the wheels.

I hope that 19.2 was at high altitude, because my stock 2.0 SOHC 8V mechanical injection non-intercooled turbo diesel Toyota wagon has run an 18.4 at almost sea level. oh yeah, 50kW (75hp) at the wheels.

Nope! You couldn't get closer to sea level then where I was at. They are 93ft above sea level.

No need to compare unless you are as bad a driver as I am. Again, I just need to work on my driving skills. I know what I need to do. :)

Thats what they tested at at 43psi isn't it?

Something to keep in mind is that the stock FPR is only set at 36 or so psi.

I know! When people talk about the flow of fuel injectors, they usually talk about the rate of flow at the standard 43psi. This way, no-one has to say, "my injectors flow (enter cc) at (enter psi). Most of the time you don't hear/read this. They only state the injector flow rate and the assumed psi is at 43psi (which is a standard). Ours flow at 245cc @ 43psi.

The obvious question to this statement is Can u up the stock FPR at all? or is MegaSquirt required...

You can install a higher rated FPR without going to the megasquirt system. The stock system isn't really intelligent enough to know there is more fuel going through the rail. It will keep opening and closing the injectors at the same rate.

At the stock 36psi, our injectors go at about 185cc.. 245 at 43psi is interesting.. IIRC, my volvo FPR is a 43 PSI regulator. WIll have to do some experiments with the spare:D

You can install a higher rated FPR without going to the megasquirt system. The stock system isn't really intelligent enough to know there is more fuel going through the rail. It will keep opening and closing the injectors at the same rate.

At the stock 36psi, our injectors go at about 185cc.. 245 at 43psi is interesting.. IIRC, my volvo FPR is a 43 PSI regulator. WIll have to do some experiments with the spare:D

If anything comes of it, do share :brow: