Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are the Bellhousings the same bolt pattern betw. Ea-81 and Ea-82?

I went to near Nashville last month and scored a 74 VW bus that already had the conversion to subie power started on it. The bus already had a Kennedy Kit mounted with an EA-82 in place.

My question is... I obviously want to use an EA-81 motor as I have a great running one sitting in the Gayrage as well as a weber carb for it.

Are the bellhousing bolt patterns the same between EA-81 and EA-82?

Thanks!

Mark

P.S., I also scored a VW shortened bus/trailer near Buffalo this past weekend. The Outback towed it all the way from Batavia to Christiansburg with no problems.

I can't remember why, but the EA81s with the automatic bellhousings fit better for some reason.

Absolutely true, the bottom edge of the auto trans ones has a deeper opening for the torque converter to clear, etc. The bolt holes to bolt the bellhousing to the back of the engine block are further recessed than on the Manual ea81 bellhousing. I think you should be okay though on the bus.

• 5 weeks later...

Was there any modifications to the driveline, I want to put an EA-82 5 speed to my EA-81 motor, in my Hatchback. I have the stock motor and 4 speed trans, D/R in it now, I think my synchros are worn? When down shifting to 3rd gear it kicks out and kind of growls, Ya got to rev it up and feel it grab... lol Thanks for the info.

It actually needs to be longer.

I have a two piece driveline for a Hatchback for the 5sp conversion. It comes with servicable u-joints and is balanced nicely. It was built by DrivelinesNW. Cost was over $200.00, I'll sell it for $150.00.