Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone heard of acetone in the fuel

OK gents,,, think about this and give me your input.:)

I used to be a painter,, and I noticed that Naptha or Naphtha has a faster evapration rate than Acetone and is more flammable than Alcohol, plus it leaves no residue,, it also is less corrosive than acetone.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Also,, I wounder if what you all are talking about is what old diesel mechanics called " Thinning the mix " thinning the diesel mixture with a light solvent (like alcohol) would provide a slight increase in HP but cause more wear on the motor

• 1 year later...
well i went ahead and tried 3oz in about 12 gal gas , surely 1 time would not hurt it , i put it into a 88 spfi 5sp dual range wagon with 189,000mi , the other board member swears by it , so i will post my results in a week or so

So whatever happened to y'alls vehicles?Did your fuel supply pipes melt through yet? ;)I am using it to clean up my engine at the mo... does a real nice job of removing baked on carbon if parts are left soaking in it over night....I'm sure one of its qualities would be to clean components....

saw a interesting write up , 3oz for 10gal of fuel , mpg increase from 2-3 up to 9mpg , can be bought at wal-mart 4.97 a 32oz can , any opinions ?

I started a thread a couple months ago about improving gas mileage. i have a 84gl wagon where i improved the mileage from 28 mpg to 36-38 mpg.

I took the roof racks off. changed the oil. changed the air filter. put 40psi in tires. slowed down from 65-70 to 55 on the highway.

several months later am still getting 36-38 mpg.

almost a 40 % increase.

better than damaging motor, carb, etc. with acetone.

Road Dog

slowed down from 65-70 to 55 on the highway.

This is probably what's giving you the gas milieage. Once you go above about 55mph in our cars, the gas mileage starts to drop, past 75 it drops dramatically.

The other stuff is good and all, but the slower speed helps the most.

• 2 weeks later...

Toluene is safe to run, Race enthuiusts use it as an anti-knock/octane booster, Yes it works. It is pure hydrogen and carbon. I do not remember the correct ratio to mix. But it should be somewhere on web, A chemistry site

would be the way to go, as opposed to a "snake-oil" website.

Acetone eats the heck out of plastic so becareful. Acetone is used to remove that 2 or 3 part plastic gas tank liner as well, so you can reline it on cars that had leaky gas tanks. I just did that on an MG that I have, so I am certainly not going to put any in that. Of couse, a few onces will be so diluted that it will probably be ok, but then does it really do anything. I guess it doesn't matter as long a you think it does and get better milage. Like a buddy of mine driving around with his tailgate down, I know he has slowed down but thinks its the tailgate.

• 9 months later...

OK I read this post quite a while ago, and decided then that adding the acetone was bogus, and wouldn't work. Then a fellow co-worker brought up the topic. I was so anxiuos to debunk this and prove to him that it wouldn't work that despite my better judgement I tried it anyway.

Much to my surprise, I got an 11% increase in gas mileage. I have experienced no detrimental effects, and my EA81 engine is still running fine. Oh well....I stand corrected.

I thinks it just cleans the injectors real good. Injector cleaners fuel the motor with just the cleaner from arosol cans. That doesn't hurt the motor.

Clean injectors will improve mpg. The dirter they are the bigger the improvment.

It would be interesting to stop using it after awhile to see if the mpg goes down or if it stays the same because the injectors are cleaner.

My 2 cents

Johnson']Ah man :horse:. I can remember when this thread was brand new. That's crazy that you got an %11 increase. Keep us up to date on if it's a fluke or what.

I tried this' date=' to no noticable difference in gas mileage...then again, I had a gas sucking turbo.[/quote']

Maybe it just knocked some carbon outta his cylinders?

I dunno

Carl

I've added acetone to a couple vehicles. My 88 GL Wagon, noticed NO improvements. My 89 GL Coupe, notice NO improvements.

I want to know what the chemistry behind acetone is that it magically helps your car improve gas mileage.

I'd go more with the theory that the acetone is cleaning out the fuel system than anything and the theory that your increase in gas mileage is likely due to a subconscious altering of your driving style to increase gas mileage.

I personally found this article very interesting: http://www.fuelsaving.info/acetone.htm

I'd be a bit concerned with the affect it might have on seals and such. Please keep us posted.

This is what I'd be looking at. Just like running pure ethanol which can give materials in fuel systems made before a certain year (96?) a hard time. Or like running straight vegetable oil in a diesel engine without any mods. It works, but only for while.

Will-

My Brat has an 1.8L E81 engine that has been completely rebuilt and has about 30k on it. I have a Weber carb, so no injectors to clean out here.

I first thought the people that said it worked for them just had old dirty engines and the acetone cleaned them out and made them run better.

When I stop using the acetone the MPG goes back down. I put about 4-5 ounces in a full tank. I did not change my driving habits. Here I was trying to disprove this and it worked.

i use acetone at work on a daily basis. i operate a bobst diecutting press manufacturing corrugated containers and folding cartons (boxes). we use things called counter plates to make the folds easier.

the counter plates are mounted in the machine using industrial grade contact adhesive. to remove them, we first use a citrus based cleaner to break the glue bond, then acetone to clean the glue and citrus off the counter plates and their mounting surface.

the counter plates are made out of a phenolic resin compound for ease of manufacturing and to stand up to the harsh chemical abuse they receive being mounted/removed many times.

as they age, the phenolic resin begins to break down under this chemical abuse.

my point: the rubbers and plastics used in automotive applications are like styrofoam compared to this phenolic resin against acetone. i'll be damned if any acetone is ever going in any of my gas tanks, let alone as a regular long term additive!!

speaking from my experience with 300 and 400 plus cid mopars, instead of worrying about questionable or downright deceptive additives try thinking of ways to improve the volumetric efficiency of the ea engines. you'll notice the benefits of these changes in mileage, performance and engine life.

wolfwrangler: that's nice and all. However, you need to perform tests with the scientific method in a controlled environment before you'll ever convince me.

There's way too many variables in the natural environment that can so easily throw off your test data.

When Mythbusters put their GM car with a carb on a dyno, the acetone actually showed a slight drop in fuel mileage. (Which actually makes sense since acetone burns slower than regular gasoline) However, the decrease in mileage was so small, it could easily be accounted elsewhere. They had it in a more controlled environment, using a dyno to control the environmental variables. But note, they did not see these huge 3-4 mpg improvements that other sites claim.

How many tanks did you run with acetone? How many without did you run in between? Did your driving habits change at all? IE: Less highway trips, etc. Was the weather the exact same between tanks? And again, can you account for the subconscious factor which is seemingly real?

I think its great that it works for you and you should continue to use it. I however, am not convinced that it works and that it is worth the potential damage to my fuel system.

Oh yes.....I have a locking gas cap. It helps keep the experiment under controled conditions, because If my buddy at work tries this it really would be all too tempting for me to sneek an extra gallon of gas in his truck each night...Hee Hee. I'll even spring for high octane premium.

My MPG experiments are on hold for right now since the Brat is down for repair. Yes, adding the acetone has caused my transmission to lock up in third gear, Ha! This is the second 4sp in the Brat that has had 3rd gear problems, so I'm looking around for a decent 4WD 5speed, and do the conversion that is mentioned on this forum.