Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do people think of your engine bay?

I try to make a point of showing people my engine bay after cursing at working on other cars. Sort of a "That sucked. Here's what an easy to work on engine bay looks like."

87 GL, SPFI, 5 speed.

Once they finish laughing about the spare tire under the hood (I need to get myself a full sized spare under there), most people are quite impressed. As I describe it, "Everything is just hanging out there, easy to work on." I then point out that with the radiator removed, I have access through the front grille to the front of the engine, with PLENTY of space to work (oh, and the fact that removing the radiator takes 5 minutes if I'm being lazy).

Overall, I think the old gen Subarus have one of the easiest to work on engines of any car I've met (trucks aside - you can almost stand in the engine bay on many trucks). ESPECIALLY when compared to modern transverse mount V6 FWD cars, the engine bay is wonderfully simple to work on.

So, do you show off your engine bay? And, if so, what do people think?

-=Russ=-

heh i do show people the engine... most people laugh at the spare... it being a full size spare...

some have even asked where the engine is... then i point out that its sitting right in front there... then they see my air horns... have a giggle... then ask how to turn them on... then i do for a sec and the horns give a sad attempt at making noise and everybody giggles...

its great fun... then they usually move to the passenger comparement and admire how i got a 12" sub to fit behind the seats... and how loud it can be...

i love showing off my car... :D

Heck, modern day Soobs are a breeze to work on.

I spend most of a day doing either engine or tranny work on those v6 (and a lot of V8) transverse mounted FWD cars. Where changing the sparkplugs requires special tools!! One I get back into the engine bay of a Subie, man, it's a breeze to work on. I don't care what year Soob you own, it'll take me 1/3rd the time to pull the motor or tranny out of it as one of those sidewinder cars! Soobs are just the best.

At shows, I park the Brat with the rear facing the walking aisle, with the hood up. I have had so many kids in their late teens to mid 20's that have never seen or even heard of a Brat. They always check out the engine bay and ask a zillion questions.

They're totally awestruck when I tell them that's really where the spare tire is stored. Just for fun, I tell them it was a primitive airbag system. <wink>

99% of the time they ask... "Where's the engine? huh huh huh huh..."

It was funny the first time. 1000 times later I simply smile and nod. :rolleyes:

Some people actually notice it's an H4 and say "WHOA whats going on here? Your pistons are laying on their sides!"

My spare tire doesnt fit under the hood. Full size spare is straped down in the back.

I usually get the comments on how clean my engines are... I'm kinda a neat freak and point out/complain when I get dirty doing light work on other peoples cars... Then I show them my engine and how I can run my finger over the block and not get it dirty.....

Any chance of pics?

This sounds like a fun project to work on after I replace the oil seals.

-=Russ=-

unless you shove an er27 in there, they always say "wheres the motor?"

it looks hilarious when the motor is lowered 4 inches then it looks even smaller.

the best thing about a subaru engine compartment is that its sittin in there the way a motor should. sidewinders are the worst cars to work on, i avoid those like the plague.

I've gotten a few people to laugh at my car when they found out my spare tire is stored under the hood. My engine is missing all but the pvc valve as far as emissions devices go, so the intake manofold is really bare. And the engine block was clean until I had misc leaks spring here and there over the last 2 years.

I don't care what year Soob you own, it'll take me 1/3rd the time to pull the motor or tranny out of it as one of those sidewinder cars! .

I know what you mean now. I can pull an EA82 engine in about 4 hours. It just took me four days (evenings) to pull the engine out of a VW GTI. And it's not even a V6, which I can imagine to be really difficult...

no, the guys in the MNSubaru club don't appreciate easy to work on. most of them pay to have someone else install their aftermarket wheels!

they just want to see turbos, FMICs, and CAIs. they don't really understand the concept of strapping my spare tire to my roof, "what, you just rest it on the paint? doesn't it scratch it?", "maybe, I don't care, noone can see the roof anyway!"

I'm a clean/polish/paint freak as well as I'm trying to get my 'easy to work on' down to an art - airfilter box is held on by alt-bracket screw and center wingnut both finger tight - as well as only having about 6 hoses between the carb and vacuum advance. This wouldnt' be a huge acheivement but this engine was MAJOR nasty + I took it from california spec. smog controls to what you see here. :drunk:

cleanengine1.jpg

AND

cleanengine2.jpg

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

I know what you mean now. I can pull an EA82 engine in about 4 hours. It just took me four days (evenings) to pull the engine out of a VW GTI. And it's not even a V6, which I can imagine to be really difficult...

after a few soob motors, i pulled the last one in 45 minutes, thats without a sawsall, or cutting any wires.

im sure these old ones are the easiest motors to work on in the world... im tryin to think of something easier, but the only thing that comes to mind is a lawn mower...

that is, untill you ad a turbo and intercooler, and all that stuffs.