Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this fixable? (after wreck)

Sister7

I would really like to fix my car, but I have NO experience with body work. Does this look fixable? It's an '86 GL carbed with D/R 4wd.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=6813&cat=500

My dad thinks we should hook a come-along to it and pull the front out. My brother wants to cut out the front and weld a new clip in. I don't know if it's worth it, but if they're willing to help me.....

Before the wreck the car ran like a dream, and afterward it drove right up the tow dolly like a champ. There is no other body damage besides the wreck. The only obvious "mechanical" problems are the radiator and a punctured oil filter, but it was a hard crash and there are always unknowns.

It's been sitting like this in my driveway for over a month now, and it's depressing. What should I do?

If you want to learn about body work it would be an interesting project, but for less money you could get another one with a good body and drop your engine into it. The front end could be pulled out, but it would never be the same again. Your radiator support, and probably some of the front frame rails are pushed in, and without a frame rack it isn't going to be easy. Under those fenders are crumple zones that will really be tough to get straight again. Best to weld on a front clip, but if you find a car with a decent one, you might as well USE that car instead. I say you have a parts car on your hands. Sorry.

Well, the radiator is trashed, the A/C evaporator (assuming it was still there; I can see the compressor) is trashed and the R12 lost to the environment, both headlights and their mounts, both front marker/park lights, bumper (duh!) a pair of fenders, the hood are goners. Even without structural issues, that is an awfully expensive bunch of bolt-on items that need replacing.

(Just noticed it looks like the A/C evap was gone previously.)

take off all that stuff on the front first so you can see what you're getting into. take off the fenders as well. you can replace the fenders, bumper, hood, grille, and lights for $200 or less in many parts yards. Suspension parts can usually be had for $12-$25 each as well. Your car's suspension is probably fine.

You may be able to pull much of it out and minimize the welding needed. Having access to welding services has saved many cars in worse shape..

good luck. save your reciepts in case the state patrol needs to see them to "un-total" the car.

I wouldn't think it needs a front clip and fenders, hood, bumper, and radiator are all bolt on items. Front radiator support can likely be hammered out. Is that LSD on this car? If so, don't let the diff go. Lots of parts at local Pull a Part yard but I didn't see any in your color. Check out craigslist and see if it would be easier/better to replace or repair. Good luck with it. PS: Good time to upgrade to an older Legacy or Impreza wagon.

I think you might have "dodged the bullet" (but not the car) so to speak. I think thats perfectly fixable. I happen to be going to Tech School just for this, and have already straightened out a 98 Dodge Intrepid on a frame rack. The only spot that looks bad is the passenger side, need to get the fender off to see if theres any frame rail damage. I have a few parts (headlights, lenses, etc) we can use, but you will have to find a front bumper, hood and right fender. Let me know if you want my help, I'm alot cheaper than a shop. And I need the expereince :brow:

Well, I can't rain on Turbone's parade, so I can throw in at least a front bumper, maybe a couple other parts. And I am just up the road. What color is the car, Silver or Champagne? Or is it baby blue??? Might be able to do a champagne right front fender, though it is a little tatty near the bottom bolt next to the door jamb.

Thank you everybody for all of the replies! My plan is to fix it without purchasing any more cars. The car is light blue, and as I have found out, a slightly different light blue than they made in '88.

To everyone who's offered help and/or parts thanks a bunch! We'll be in touch:D

I'm going to take off as much as I can today, so I can see what's underneath. I"ll post back later.

looks fine for fixing, not bad at all. i'm not a body person at all either, but things don't look terribly crumpled and twisted which is a good thing.

if you want it to drive, then fix it.

if you want it to look real good and everything to line up perfectly afterward then...well you can still do it, but it'll be tougher to get it perfect if yo'ure picky.

i just fixed a friends honda, pictures here. though they don't show the hood crumpled and how far back it was pushed.

(http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4605)

finished that car today. didn't replace any body parts and it looks decent, better than i thought it would. i could replace the bumper and hood and one fender and that would help alot. the hood would be tricky to line up with the latch though as the latch is still back an inch or so (even after pulling it out and hammering and using two nuts between the latch and the radiator support to push it out. so, a new hood would be tricky to line up as it would stick out even further than the existing crumpled hood. i got the crumpled hood flattened out as much as possible and it doesn't look too bad. all in all so long as the motor lasts a couple months we may slap another hood and bumper on it, just run it for a couple months to make sure the motor/trans are okay before putting much $ into it only to find the head gaskets blew because the motor ran too long after the accident (uncle drove it an unknown distance after the wreck). i would drive this honda the way it is today, but i don't care much what a car looks like. i mean i like a nice looking car but don't like what it takes to keep them that way, so mine generally stay in well used condition.

good luck,

Its going to take alot of labor, mainly the rad support. May have to remove it to straighten it out, the engine is in the way of the hammer. And thats something you dont want to use the come along on. Other than that I think its all good to go for replacement parts. May have to make some adjustments here and there, but it shouldnt be to bad. Now granted, its not going to be perfect, like Gary said, but it will be driveable and who knows, it might turn out better than you think. I start back to school on the 26th, let me know what you want to do and when.

I say scrap the body, save the motor - and buy something you can drop your motor into (like the car Turbone linked to - great deal! Offer them $300!) Why waste all that time trying to fix something that might give you headaches down the line when one with a GOOD body can be had so cheaply? Even if you get parts donated, then you have an un-matching car - paint will surely cost more than $300, and it would be real hard to find matching rattle-can paint (which would LOOK like rattle-can paint). If it were ME, I'd pull the good parts, donate the rest to the junkyard, and buy a non-running roo with a good body. Just my 2c......

Well, I've been thinking about it and I have an '81 wagon sitting around here that needs an engine and a transplant would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to go. I really want to fix my car, but mostly for emotional reasons. As a citizen of the real world, I've got to move on. Besides, I've always wanted to drive around with 3 headlights ;) ....Thanks everyone for the opinions, it would have taken me forever to get this far on my own!

• 9 months later...

If the radiator supports arent to badly mangled its fixable. you may not find out untill you start tearing things apart, so go ahead and tear it apart. Worse thing that will happen is that you learn about body repairs.

Look at the gaps at the doors and trunk. If they are still straight, go for it.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's almost been a year and sadly I didn't end up fixing my wagon. As Turbone said, to fix it properly was going to be too much work. It had been on the wait list for all of the tech colleges in the area for about 6 months with no reponse. I decided to use her as a parts car. It's kind of nice knowing the history of your parts car. The good news is that I've got my '88 GL wagon running and driving (and passing emissions!!!) and my '88 T-wagon started and running from the parts so far.

Here's a working link to all of the pictures after it was torn down if anybody's interested.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ald27/86%20GL%20wagon/

ps all of the dirt is from WCSS7 and the July '05 Brooklyn RallyX :headbang: