Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifted rig gas milage

WoodsWagon

with the smallest BFG allterrain's they make on an 1980 with a 2.2, i regularly get around 26mpg highway.

thats really good! i m startin to think about a ej22 swap into my wagon, not for about a year or so, but i think i will. i have 27.7 inch all terains with a ea 82, i get around like 23, 24 or so.

I have 225/60/16s on my impreza 2.2, 5 spd. Basically a 28. 27 1/2? Whatever.

I got about 29 mpg this last weekend in going to Portland. But 40 miles of that was tuning the new chip. ie: Put on the 27/8.50/14 mudders, got on the free way in the right lane, and began dropping way behind the car in front of me, and punching it till I was out of space, repeat. (nothing crazy, mostly 3rd gear at 40 and up to about 75 in 5th, speed limit 65.) Quick bursts.

Also did four laps of RallyX.

Put the Bahas back on and filled the tank pretty much. Haven't got down on the tank enough to check how good it does with the chip, but I still have a half a tank after 180 or so miles driving home from Portland. I'm guessing it will pan out to about 33 or more mpg. :brow: It's got way more uumph now with the chip too.

perfect power baby.

**The toyota seems to get well over 30 mph with 33s. lol

A DOG, EPA estimates for an 81 subie is about 30 MPG, you should be doing better than 9

I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting such horrible gas milage. I even had my mechanic tune the carb and try to find a way to get better milage. He leaned out the carb a bit, but still horrible milage. Any suggestions?

I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting such horrible gas milage. I even had my mechanic tune the carb and try to find a way to get better milage. He leaned out the carb a bit, but still horrible milage. Any suggestions?

A couple of basics are at play here: increased frontal area from lifting, and taller overall gearing from the larger-diameter tires are definitely contributing, but a two-thirds drop over stock sounds way off the charts.

Dumb question, but could you be losing fuel anywhere? Possible leaks under delivery (i.e., not while parked) from cracks in lines, a damaged tank, etc.? Assuming the carb is OK and not sending too much fuel to the cylinders (and that the timing's correct), I'd start looking for possible leaks. This has caught me out before on a couple of cars.

Also, how are you calculating your fuel mileage?

A couple of basics are at play here: increased frontal area from lifting, and taller overall gearing from the larger-diameter tires are definitely contributing, but a two-thirds drop over stock sounds way off the charts.

Dumb question, but could you be losing fuel anywhere? Possible leaks under delivery (i.e., not while parked) from cracks in lines, a damaged tank, etc.? Assuming the carb is OK and not sending too much fuel to the cylinders (and that the timing's correct), I'd start looking for possible leaks. This has caught me out before on a couple of cars.

Also, how are you calculating your fuel mileage?

No leaks. I havent had my timing adjusted. I calculate by seeing how many gallons I get, then on the trip o meter see how many miles i go.

I have 225/60/16s on my impreza 2.2, 5 spd. Basically a 28. 27 1/2? Whatever.

I got about 29 mpg this last weekend in going to Portland. But 40 miles of that was tuning the new chip. ie: Put on the 27/8.50/14 mudders, got on the free way in the right lane, and began dropping way behind the car in front of me, and punching it till I was out of space, repeat. (nothing crazy, mostly 3rd gear at 40 and up to about 75 in 5th, speed limit 65.) Quick bursts.

Also did four laps of RallyX.

Put the Bahas back on and filled the tank pretty much. Haven't got down on the tank enough to check how good it does with the chip, but I still have a half a tank after 180 or so miles driving home from Portland. I'm guessing it will pan out to about 33 or more mpg. :brow: It's got way more uumph now with the chip too.

perfect power baby.

**The toyota seems to get well over 30 mph with 33s. lol

Where'd you get the chip? :drunk:

I seem to get about 28-29 with the forester strut swap, no difference yet.. but i also run around with the full roof rack, kayaks, the box.... and touring tires, haven't ordered bigger tires yet, i think springs will be next.