Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GM selling it's stake in Subaru...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toyota

Typical GM, take what they want then sell it off...

Maybe we as a collective group can rais enough funds to get the other 11.4% that GM still has for sale.... :rolleyes:

Just curious, what did Subaru gain from GM? Anything of any value? Pretty sad that GM now has Subaru technology to screw up.

UC

To me, the important part of this news is that Toyota is buying GM's stake in Fuji Heavy Industries. That makes Toyota the top shareholder in Subaru. Not sure what that means for Subaru - maybe Subaru will get some hybrid tech in exchange for giving AWD tech to Toyota? Toyota has a good reputation for quality, hopefully Subaru gets some of that as well.

I don't know. I never liked the GM partnership. This Toyota partnership may prove helpful in some way. Like someone else said, with the development of hybrid, lean burning gasoline motors, perhaps diesels, whatever, Subaru could use some help in these areas going forward.

nate

I'd like to point out the obvious but its a good distinction, Toyota and GM own parts of Fuji Heavy, not Subaru. Which means they own as much a stake in their aircraft business as they do in their Robin engine division.

Exactly, they own part of Subaru. Everyone forgets that fact that GM did not have any say in design or anything else associated with the company. They held some stock but not a controlling interest. The only thing this allowed was joint ventures with Saab, and maybe some leverage with parts suppliers.

as long as part of subaru is going to a company that dosn't mess around when it builds cars, i just hope the don't control the whole company.

like Ford owning many companys but letting them stick to there roots.

Ford hasn't been too bad for Volvo, but the Jaguar X-type (Ford Mid-size clone) is a travesty. A local dealer has been all over the radio for months here in the DC area with a $199 a month lease offer.

There has been less response to this GM sale on this board than I thought there would be. I guess we'll never see the Subaru clone of the Chevy Tahoe now...

Ford hasn't been too bad for Volvo, but the Jaguar X-type (Ford Mid-size clone) is a travesty. A local dealer has been all over the radio for months here in the DC area with a $199 a month lease offer.

There has been less response to this GM sale on this board than I thought there would be. I guess we'll never see the Subaru clone of the Chevy Tahoe now...

yea that xtype wasn't that great... ford mondeo right? but they did good for land rover, auston martin, and volvo (like you said).

as long as i continue to see good looking subarus that perform i really don't care too much.

Here's the article from the AP:

Toyota Buys Fuji Heavy Stake From GM

By DEE-ANN DURBIN

AP Auto Writer DETROIT - General Motors Corp.'s decision to sell its 20 percent stake in Fuji Heavy Industries will help the troubled U.S. automaker streamline its business and raise cash, auto analysts said Wednesday, but some questioned Toyota Motor Corp.'s purchase of GM's stake.Toyota said Wednesday it has agreed to buy an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji from GM for about $315 million. Fuji is a rival Japanese automaker that makes Subaru cars.

GM, the world's biggest automaker, plans to sell its remaining 11.4 percent stake and dissolve its alliance with Fuji, the companies said. GM said "there were not enough collaborative projects" to sustain the alliance and that it planned to find other partners and markets in the Asia Pacific region for its resources.

GM will make around $725 million from the sale of its entire share of Fuji, Merrill Lynch analyst John Casesa said in a note to investors. Once GM's sales are completed, Toyota, Japan's biggest automaker, will be the top shareholder in Fuji.

Troy Clarke, president of GM's Asia Pacific region, resigned as Fuji's director of the board Wednesday.

"We've had a good partnership; however both GM and FHI came to the conclusion that there were not enough collaborative projects to sustain the alliance and that each of our interests could be better served through a different approach," Clarke said.

Breaking its ties with Fuji is a small step in the right direction for GM, which is in need of a much larger restructuring, Casesa said. The sale will make GM more competitive and provide the company with some short-term liquidity, Casesa said, but it's not a great return on the automaker's investment. GM bought its stake in Fuji five years ago for about $1.3 billion.

Masaki Taketani, who analyzes Asian markets for CSM Worldwide, said Fuji is doing well right now but its future isn't bright in terms of product or its global manufacturing capacity. GM owns more valuable stakes in Japanese automakers Isuzu Motors, a truck maker, and Suzuki Motor Corp., which makes small cars, Taketani said. GM wants to concentrate on bringing small cars to Asia and Eastern Europe, he said.

The sales come in the wake of GM's worldwide losses of $1.1 billion in the first quarter and another $286 million in the second quarter. GM also is in the middle of tense negotiations with the United Auto Workers union to lower its health care costs and with its former parts supplier Delphi Corp., which is threatening bankruptcy.

By contrast, Toyota reported its best ever fiscal year profit in May of 1.17 trillion yen ($10.3 billion) as sales grew in North America, Europe, Japan and the rest of Asia. But Toyota Executive Vice President Mitsuo Kino denied the move was a bailout for GM.

"We absolutely do not have help for GM in mind," he told reporters at a Tokyo hotel, where he appeared with Fuji Heavy President Kyoji Takenaka to announce a new alliance between the Japanese automakers.

Tsuyoshi Mochimaru, auto analyst with Deutsche Securities in Tokyo, said the move showed that GM and Fuji both saw that their alliance wasn't bearing fruit.

"In that sense, GM's alliance efforts with Fuji failed," he said. "But it will take time to assess whether synergies can grow between Fuji and Toyota."

Access to Fuji's plants could be a way for Toyota to raise its production capability at a time when its sales are on a roll, but Mochimaru said Fuji, a relatively niche market player, only runs one plant in North America and is unlikely to deliver much of a boost in production for Toyota.

Erich Merkle, a senior auto analyst with the consulting company IRN Inc., said the alliance will give Toyota access to Subaru's all-wheel-drive technology. Even more significantly, it will give Fuji access to Toyota's hybrid technology, Merkle said.

Merkle said GM failed to leverage its partnership with Subaru. GM had plans to use Subaru's all-wheel-drive technology but never did, Merkle said. GM also should have taken advantage of Subaru's expertise in the growing crossover segment, he said.

GM will continue work with Fuji on one production vehicle, the Saab 9-2x, GM said. But other projects will end, including the joint development of a crossover vehicle, announced last year.

Toyota is paying 520 yen ($4.60) a share for the roughly 68 million Fuji shares it is buying from GM. That is below the closing price for Fuji shares of 540 yen ($4.70) on Wednesday before the deal was announced.

The price of GM's remaining 89 million shares will be determined in the marketplace as GM offers the shares back to Fuji as part of Fuji's open-market share buyback program and through market sales. That stake was worth about $418 million at Wednesday's closing Fuji price.

Toyota, based in central Japan's Toyota city, holds stakes in two other Japanese automakers, Daihatsu Motor Co., which makes small cars, and Hino Motors, which makes trucks.

Toyota shares, which have held steady over the past year but gradually rose since May, dipped nearly 1 percent to close at 5,250 yen ($46) before the deal was announced. GM shares were down $1.45, or nearly 5 percent, to close at $28.63 on the New York Stock

~Howard

:-\

you guys not see the posts about subarus own hybrid tech that will suposidly be out in 07? its a ej20 turbo + hybrid,,,,,,,, hum toyota...... i like toyota but this could be bad....

A few theroies...

Toyota just bailed out GM ...

Toyota has perfected the logic for the hybrid system, which is 90% of the effort in these systems

Toyota just gained a mature AWD technology (and will not waste it)

Toyota and GM are still intertwined somewhat here in the US, so in reality, its not that big a change, just toyots seems to leave things alone where as GM cant seem to get anything right of late....

nipper

Toyota may be looking to further diversify it's range, as they've already done by creating Scion. Nothing in Toyota's staid US-lineup competes squarely with Subarus off-road and off-beat image. Just a thought.

Yeah, that Four runner, Tacoma, Tundra, Highlander, land cruiser, and Rav 4 are horrible. ;)

:grin: I'll bet you were only thinking of the carola and the camry, in which case i totally agree with you.

BTW, welcome to the board, i'm only jesting.