Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats the most you have pulled with your suby? can you beat me?

so last night at work the battery fried in the forklift... this said forklift has a specs tag that reads 11,010 lbs approximate weight for the entire thing

the scale near work shows my rx weighing in at a miniscule 2500 lbs give or take a couple hundred nto sure how accurate the scale is

so the forklift is dead and pretty much in the way of getting my job done

i hooked up a chain to it drove the rx into the building <baja has been there>

hooked it up to the rear of the rx took up the slack and in low 4 after getting some tension in the drivetrain i sidestepped the clutch .....

drug the forklift backwards about 20-25 feet all was going fairly well except

i had one frnt wheel spining and one back wheel spinning some slip on smooth concrete is good ...

but then i felt a sudden tug and the lsd in the rear locked up and well something had to slip now that i had pretty much full traction and the clutch started to slip

it was then that i decided i should stop going forwards :)

plus the building stank of clutch smell for about a hour afterwards

so did i hurt the clutch? on my drive home it seems to be fine in fact better<go figure> doing a slow take off then getting on it when the turbo hits the front tires still light up and no sign of slipping in any of the gears

oh and for the rest of my shift i threw the rx's batery in the forklift and took it out at the end of my shift leaving the day crew with a dead forklift until the "lack-of maintenance-man" gets around to going to get a new battery

so.. what have you pulled with you suby? can you beat mine? :grin:

ps anyone with alot of math skill have any idea how much hp it would take to move a 2500ish lb rx with a 11k lb forklift attached?

I used a 77 wagon to pull a ford panel van up a 7% grade 5 miles once. used 4 wheel drive all the way. Didn't have low range.

A panel van is about the size of a UPS delivery truck not a e-150 ford van.

Some people were living in it and needed a place to work on it so I drug it to my house. Not sure of the weight.

Hush

PS I was impressed

hmm 77 panel van.. on a rough guess i would say fully loaded close to umm 3500-4000 lbs best guess

exciting day? i work nights all you people are sleeping when i am working lol

had i still had my twagon running witht eh automatic i prolly woulda gone a bit farther my goal was to get it moved so i could get teh silly electric pallet jack thing under the box of dry ice pellets and then troubleshoot the forklift

we had a bunch of dry ice to do in a pain in the rump roast type of cut tiny 4x4"ish inch 1 inch thick pieces that ahs to be sorted and then loaded into the baggin machine that only works for that cut of ice

on the plus side i got to call the "boss" hahah lol roffle ect ect

at about 1:30 am in the morning to tell him the forklift we lease

but he is to cheap to pay for the service contract just went to hell

and no place is open to get a battery

dumb rump roast comes down to work at about 1:50 am

just to look at the forklift in a confused manner

and watch me pull out the old battery and then temporarily put mine in place ..

wich meant i had to put my dam hard hat on when he showed up

oh and btw i work for a company that actually is in teh billions type of range of finances but my "boss" likes to make his books look good so... monthly forklift maintenance ,,, pfft who needs it

heh i have no intention of doing it again lol

the clutch is fairly new it came with the rx when i got it i just swapped my motor into the rx and a better flywheel

i think the clutch was glazed over anyways from the crappy flywheek on the original rx motor

its not so grabby now when i let it out but still locks up solid so i guess thats good lol

it was eitehr use my rx or try to get the chevy long bed extended cab 2wd turbo diesel into the building not impossible but a big pita

1998 Ford F-350 Crew Cab on 35 inch tires. The guy was following me on top of 5 feet of hardpack snow. he fell through burying the passenger side of the truck to the top of the tires. hoooked up 200 feet of purse line and hit 25 mph before the line came tight. stuff stretches soo much that it didnt even really jerk on my end. Came right out one pull

Ok...lessee....there was the 02 F-350 extended cab 4x4 longbed pickup on one occasion. That one went about 300 feet to a good spot to get off the road. Not sure what one of those weighs.

Then there's the "beach incident". Toyota Prerunner truck had got stuck in loose sand. 2WD Ranger was stuck right behind it. I hooked on the back end of the Ranger, the ranger hooked on to the Toyota. Low Range and Reverse got them both out nicely. THe GVWR badge on my wife's long bed 2wd ranger says 2857 curb weight. Found 2745 for the Toy. Both were loaded with weekend beach goodies, so based on my experience with my wife's Ranger, I'm gonna call the 400lbs of beer and beach balls for each truck. That comes to 6402lbs plus the fact that both were buried nearly to the axles in loose sand. Someone once told me that you can assume you'll have to move 1.5 times the vehicle's normal weight under these conditions. That's 9603. Not too shabby for a carb'ed car with 280k or so on the clock.

Gee, why didn't you just swap the battery in the first place???

...ps anyone with alot of math skill have any idea how much hp it would take to move a 2500ish lb rx with a 11k lb forklift attached?

HP isn't the issue, torque is. If you could have gotten that puppy up to 30mph cruise, it would only take a couple more HP to maintain speed over the RX alone; just have to overcome rolling resistance (and a little wind drag). Given enough time (and practice) you could pull the forklift yourself, and you would be hardpressed to better 1/2-1HP. Nit, nit nit...

...77 panel van is more like 6000 lbs man

them ************s are heavy...

My 77 Dodge 1-ton window van is 6500 GVW, which puts its unloaded wet-weight at around 4500lbs.

Oddcomp, anyway I look at it, it sounded like you have more fun at work last night than I did.

One time I hauled a fully dressed 455 C.I. Pontiac V8 600 miles in the back of my wagon.

I've had a complete Chrysler 383 big block in the back of my Subie, it wasn't all together but all the parts were there. Instant 2" lowering job :lol:

As for weight, my turbowagon has pulled a Scout with no axles off a flat bed trailer lol, and the owner of said trailer pulled a motorhome up an off ramp with his wagon, don't remember the size of the motorhome though... (I've towed a 25 foot Monaco coach about 35 miles before, but that was with my truck lol...)

Hi This is Jerry, this happen about 8 years ago in the winter time. I went over to my buddy house just to BS with him. Well he was on his front steps with a confuse look on his face. I ask him whats wrong he said the backhoe quite running. We walk about half mile and there it was in the middle of the snow covered gravel road. He ask me to pull it with my brat i told him you do the math 2500 lbs. againts 18000 lbs. not going to pull it. What had happen is the fuel jelled up on it. Went back to get my brat and shifted it in 4 low first gear the wheels spun about one turn and away we went. Pull the case backhoe in to his front drive way. i would have never though my brat could do that. Thanks Jerry