Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would This Be a Safe Thing to Do?!

slothoncanvas

ok... now, within the past few months i have become seemingly obsessed with the whole "off-road" scene.

I just joined this forum, this being my first post.

I have a 2000 Subaru Forester, as stock as it gets. And, i'm sure you are aware.... this does not provide me with very much ground clearance. I lack the money to get anything done to it as of right now.

My main question is... would it not be a good idea to take my Forester into a creek that is near to my house? The creek is very shallow (in most places). Not just drive across the creek, but actually drive in the creek in the direction it is going for a half/mile or a mile or so.

I think the biggest problem i may run into would be my tires, which are not only your run-of-the-mill street tires, but they also will need to be changed within the next few months due to the depleating tread.

Also, she has plastic mud guards hanging from the bottom of the car behind the wheels. these seem like they can be removed very easily, and that would give me a bit more clearance there.

I really, really want to do this... because i have gone out with my friend a few times and i had a terrific time. (he has a Mazda MPV 4x4 sport edition, which is essentially just a van with 4 wheel drive and ground clearance. that's the car in my icon actually).

So i wanted to take my Subaru off into this creek nearby, i just didn't know if i would get into much trouble?

you're advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When driving in water, you have 2 big problems, the first being that water gets every where, and if it dosn't stop you cold in your tracks it will cause rust and electrical headaches later.

The thing i would do for that would be to relocate the air intake, i believe on the newer subies they do not have a mas airflow sensor, so the intake past the throttle body is not really necessary, unless you have the MAF. you should be able to get a short ram that points a cone style air filter straight back,which would take care of a lot of your possible water issues, except your cooling fans, which i would use a manual switch override for that.

Lastly, when you are done with the water, your brakes, especially your rear drums will be ineffective until you get a bunch of that water boiled off, so a hard stop of 100 feet will be necessary before you actually can feel the brakes grab.

Don't go too fast, you'll want a bow wave, but don't go too slow either, your engine bay will fill with water easily that way.

Good luck, and take pictures

now when you say really shallow,you mean like about acouple inces? that wouldn't be a prob.

if it's nice out,i'd go for a walk up the middle of the creek and see if there's any deep holes.

if you do go for the drive up the creek (bring a paddle:brow: ),i'd take it slow cuz you never know when it'll get deep an swallow your subie.

on the mud guards,you don't need them.i'd just remove em

what size tires you running now? you could try going up a'lil on the size when you have to replace them.

have you thought about taking your subie out where you an your friend took his mpv? you never know your forester might show up your friends mpv

my worry would be if there is any deep holes. i know in the creeks around here, there are some deeper holes in the creeks that can get like over 5 feet deep. If you know that the creek is only a few inches deep, you should be fine. even if its like a foot deep, you should be ok.

Got fish? How about considering what lives in the creek before driving in it. This might not be the best time of year for using creeks as trails. I don't know about fishes of the east coast, but around here, the first rains of the fall are when some salmon like to swim up and do the spawning thing. There's also legal issues if you get caught. Rangers, cops, and River Keepers frown heavily upon 'wheelin' in creeks. If you get caught try telling them you're a bioligist and you're counting fish...

Now all that said, I've driven in a few creeks and rivers myself and it can be fun. But putting on a pair of waders and walking can be cool too and is a lot easier on the wheel bearings etc. So now that you all want to kill the "tree hugger", I'm going to go out and get my hatchback muddy so I feel more normal and maybe you won't hate me.

Oh yeah, have you seen the Offroad Subaru Club of Queensland Website?

They have a nice section on water crossings in Subarus. Look in their "tech talk" section.

http://www.subaclub.com/

I took my 98 GT in some pretty deep water before... it kept getting deeper.. so i actually stopped, put it in reverse, and backed out. It was a flooded dirt road. Putting a manual switch to your radiator fans would be a very good idea. Basically.. if the water is below your rocker panels and the surface underneath the water is not slop you can drive in it all day long.. If the water is coming up past your headlights.. you better be just jumping through or you will loose momentum and stall out!

This is Ryan (Ryker on the board) in his 88 GL Wagon....

Dcp_2899.thumb.jpg

And me in my 84 GL Brat going through the same spot but the other direction..

Dcp_2897.thumb.jpg

They are both bone stock. His is a 5spd, Mine is a 4spd. Both manual D/R 4wd. If you notice the ground is very firm, I had crappy 13" tires on. Maybe practice going through it in short spots first and go further each time? Also, do you have a manual or auto? Either way.. remember to keep it in a low gear and keep your rpms up!

hey... thanks guys. my Forester is manual.

i think for the most part this creek is very shallow, meaning from a few inches to maybe 2 feet max. but i have been in it when i was a kid and in certain small areas there are little drops that can get as deep as 4 feet.

so... i guess the best bet for me would be to walk alongside of it and see where these ditches are so that i know when they are coming and how to avoid them.

also the floor of the creek is almost all covered in tiny and not so tiny rocks. very, very little mud.

but... as far as legal issues go i think i don't think i would run into any problems, but if say i did. what kind of trouble are we talking??

I've been meaning to ask a ranger that very question but haven't had the chance. I have heard that it can be a hefty fine and has something to do with the Clean Water Act and possible the Endangered Speicies Act depending on the creek/river. In practice it probably depends on what kind of mood the cop or ranger is in and his sense of humor.

Years ago when I went wheelin' with Zap for the first time, he drove his hatchback right up the main channel of a major whitewater river. So he's in the river up to his windows making good progress swiming upstream, but occasionally floats and slips downstream a bit, then gets traction and continues swimming up again. He eventually gets to a deep hole below a big rapids and couldn't go anymore due to floating too much. But man that was most impressive and would have been the coolest video. Now directly overhead was a bridge crossing the river and a couple in a SUV, drive over, look down, and just freak. They pull over not believing what they saw, I mean it ain't everyday you see a Subaru behaving like a salmon. So they offered him a beer and all was cool and good. I've since wondered what would have happened if that'd been a ranger instead of the couple. Probably wouldn't have been as good and might have down right sucked. I think the moral of the story is be cool, use decent judgement and don't get caught.

Years ago when I went wheelin' with Zap for the first time, he drove his hatchback right up the main channel of a major whitewater river. So he's in the river up to his windows making good progress swiming upstream, but occasionally floats and slips downstream a bit, then gets traction and continues swimming up again. He eventually gets to a deep hole below a big rapids and couldn't go anymore due to floating too much. But man that was most impressive and would have been the coolest video. Now directly overhead was a bridge crossing the river and a couple in a SUV, drive over, look down, and just freak. They pull over not believing what they saw, I mean it ain't everyday you see a Subaru behaving like a salmon. So they offered him a beer and all was cool and good. I've since wondered what would have happened if that'd been a ranger instead of the couple. Probably wouldn't have been as good and might have down right sucked. I think the moral of the story is be cool, use decent judgement and don't get caught.

haha:lol: sounds like fun!

If there are any sharp rocks in the crk. DON'T SPIN THE TIRES! Water works as a lubricant on tires and will let the rocks slice through your'e street tires like butter:eek: If U don't think so, try this: take an old tire and try to cut across the tred with a knife, now take the same tire, and the same knife and put them in water and try it. The knife will go right through the tred, trust me. (don't ask how I know this:rolleyes: )

creeks are no problem (i assume you can read the water and know something about this place). unkown water - be wary. if you know i'd worry about mud. a fews years can make a big difference in silt...farm runoff, developments and such. tearing up a stream isn't ideal in my oppinion though, so care would be nice. streams don't repair nearly as well as a field/forrest does.

no salmon runs in reading...but there are salmon runs in northern PA/NY. you won't have any problems driving in a creek....i'd be more worried about a landowner than an officer. rut my land and i'll have something to say about it. but really no big deal, we go offroad all the time with no issue. if they DID get a wild hair and wanted to say something, they'd say something like "don't do that again". well...how close are you to new jersey, those city boy yanks might be more tight.

I'm not too far from NJ, but far enough that it wouldn't be an issue (it's about 2hrs from here). although, i am under 20 and have longer hair... and my local police force has a tendency to be not so kind to people of my description.

but... there are a few nice ones, and i'm pretty sure they've not run into a sittuation like this before if i do get caught. so they might think it's "pretty cool."

thanks for all the tips and advice guys, it'll prove to be a big help.

oh... and if and when i do this, i'll definately bring a camera.

oh yeah and one more question. it's about to settle into to winter here, and it can get pretty cold. Say i go in the dead of winter... is the cold, cold water going to be "bad news" for my tires?

A few things I have noticed when crossing water.

(Others may debate this)

1. If the water is clear, and has a solid bottom, where there is good traction,

Don't try to rush the crossing. going to fast may force water into the intake. I've even seen it buckle the hood and smach the grill of a car when they hit the water to fast.

2. Use a low gear to keep the RPMs up so that you can keep air flowing out the tail-pipe

3, Never go deeper than your intake or electrics

4 If crossing a murky pool make sure you know the terrain below the surface

, Feeler sticks are good,, but it's a gamble You just don't know whats in your path, ie. Deep ruts, logs, cender blocks, mud, gators':-p and so-forth.

In such a case, if you have to cross it , a little momentom might be helpfull;)

Lastly,,, If your really serious about water crossings,,, there is a huge list of things to modify on your vehicle , examples: good seals and gaskets for no leaks, clutch fan replacement with a switched electric fan. elivated differential breathers, snorkle, elivated and sealed electronics, and the list goes on.

If I'have missed something, you guys let me know.

:)

Years ago when I went wheelin' with Zap for the first time, he drove his hatchback right up the main channel of a major whitewater river.

LOL I was gonna preach about how it's bad to drive in creeks and rivers, then I saw that you'd posted, and I didn't even have to read further to know that you'd bring that up Mike. Since, I've come to know better, but that was one of my first times out.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I wouldn't do it again if I had the chance, and I tend to try to stay out of creeks and such unless I'm crossing them.

But yeah, it woulda made a great video. :slobber:

142swimmin.jpg

I thought there was? Years ago I saw a clip of you going in the river, maybe it was over at EZboard. Wish I still had it :-\

Btw, last weekend at the Rieter Pit Trail cleanup I went thru a pretty good sized mud puddle. It was about 35ft across and I had no idea how deep it was. But heck, it was just a mud puddle, right? 3/4 of the way thru the front left dropped 2ft into a good sized hole. Seeing how the water was up to the bottom of my rockers, a good 21in off the ground, that put the water close to the sill of my window. Which just so happened to be open :eek: Not only did the Hatch get muddy, so did I. But when it dropped into the hole I dropped the hammer and spun the tires till I pulled out of the hole. I think I impressed a Jeep driver that was walking around picking up trash, he gave me a thumbs up :headbang:

LOL I was gonna preach about how it's bad to drive in creeks and rivers, then I saw that you'd posted, and I didn't even have to read further to know that you'd bring that up Mike. Since, I've come to know better, but that was one of my first times out.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I wouldn't do it again if I had the chance, and I tend to try to stay out of creeks and such unless I'm crossing them.

But yeah, it woulda made a great video. :slobber:

142swimmin.jpg

Oh I know what i forgot to mention,,,,,,

If there are white-caps on the creek ,,, then it might be a bad idea to try and cross it.

If it looks like there is a chance you may colide with whitewater rafting expadition,,, it might be a bad Idea.

If the water turns a perty emareld green because it's over 3 feet deep,,,, then it might be a bad idea to try and cross it.....

If there are bolders in it larger than your car,,,, then it might be a bad idea to try and cross it....:lol:

hey... thanks guys. my Forester is manual.

i think for the most part this creek is very shallow, meaning from a few inches to maybe 2 feet max. but i have been in it when i was a kid and in certain small areas there are little drops that can get as deep as 4 feet.

so... i guess the best bet for me would be to walk alongside of it and see where these ditches are so that i know when they are coming and how to avoid them.

also the floor of the creek is almost all covered in tiny and not so tiny rocks. very, very little mud.

but... as far as legal issues go i think i don't think i would run into any problems, but if say i did. what kind of trouble are we talking??

not to sound like a hippie, but driving through watersheds is about as bad as dumping used motor oil into your local roadside storm drain.

guess if its flowing away from your house, its not your problem though right?

not to sound like a hippie, but driving through watersheds is about as bad as dumping used motor oil into your local roadside storm drain.

guess if its flowing away from your house, its not your problem though right?

Thats a good point.

Playing around in a creek is a bit different than playing around in a mud hole.

Clean creeks and streams are rare for most areas. It's not often for most people that they have an opertunity to enjoy the scenic value of a clean clear streem bed. Plus they can support a great variaty of life.

Cross a creek if you have to, but don't play around in it.:)

Also ,It would be good to make sure the viehicle has no fluid leaks. And with Subarus,, thats hard not to have.

Also it would be good to have another vehicle there to tow or winch you out of the stream in case you stall. Wouldn’t want the car to sit there and ooze fluid out into the water.;)

well to sound a lot like a free loading pachouli wearing freak driving in the creek bed sounds about as smart as dipping your undercarrige in a really big bucket/kiddie pool and dumping all that effluent into the riparian area.

my tips would be quit your whining; your running the largest non suv stock subaru struts currently on the market and wait until the river is running real high like, then get into the forester get it into the creek and drive it in reverse real fast like up stream. dang that shure would be fun:dead:

I don't care how deep it is.

Check and find out if its LEGAL to do what you are asking about here.

1) do you have permission to be on that property.

2) are water crossings legal in your state? county?

Here in MN its illegal to cross a stream, wetland, or river on your OWN property. This is because it pollutes and distrubs more than just your property; it flows according to the water shed to other peoples property or public property. Agree or disagree; its the law. Check with your local natrual resources departments on laws and regulations in your area.

oh... yeah, i guess i didn't really take all that into much consideration.

With all the crap the local kids throw into this creek (i.e. ice tea containers, beer bottles, etc.) me driving in it is probably the last thing it needs.

and... yeah, i should probably save my car the trouble. i mean after all, that's not what it was built for. i'll stick to more conservative driving for now.

oh... yeah, i guess i didn't really take all that into much consideration.

With all the crap the local kids throw into this creek (i.e. ice tea containers, beer bottles, etc.) me driving in it is probably the last thing it needs.

and... yeah, i should probably save my car the trouble. i mean after all, that's not what it was built for. i'll stick to more conservative driving for now.

Great idea :)

See if you can locate some minimum maintanace roads. They can be fun; just make sure you know if they are open or not. Most have seasonal and conditional closings due to flooding.