Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Return of Mountain Grizzly...

with a tow bar this evening. the guy I sold it to(who also has my old lifted 87 wagon), had it sitting at a friends house, and the City Code Inspectors said it had to be able to drive around the block, or a $500 fine was in order because you can't store un-drivable vehicles on your property (in open sight).

I bought some tires from him, and he offered to give me Mountain Grizzly back, if I'd help him swap engines around. He want mtngrizz's engine instead of the ea81 that I put in the 87 wagon.... both are weberized.

Mountain Grizzly just had a new PS rack installed, but needs a tranny and radiator to be driveable.

It's got on it:

rear disc brakes

3" BYB lift

Custom front bumper and brushguard

will also need a drivers side fender... and some body trim to be "nice" looking again....

it's either gonna get fixed up for my Dad, since his is rusting away, or fixed up and sold.... (unless I can sell my 87 Brat and Ski Wagon first.....)

I really like that wagon.I am sure it will be nice and purdy again.I know I had talked to you about your 87 brat and thinking about the toy axles on it,but if you change your mind let me know I would love to buy your brat.

it's either gonna get fixed up for my Dad, since his is rusting away, or fixed up and sold.... (unless I can sell my 87 Brat and Ski Wagon first.....)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

finally a bit more prograss tonight. Got the dead AC ripped out, and got the dented silver fender pulled off of it.

also put on the hood hinges from JunkyardGabe, and pulled apart the shift consoles... and had a look at the tranny mounts...

yep, both mounts are bad... good thing I had a new set stashed away :)

I've got correct paint code hood and left fender coming for it courtesy of ShawnW. possibly a cowl too....

so, also found that when the prev owner replaced the tranny last time, that he used the smaller throwout bearing and holder for the 200 mm clutch/pp and the larger one for the 225mm clutch/pp.

this may have affected how well he could shift....

luckily, the spare 86 Brat tranny I had, had the larger holder/bearing on it....

• 2 weeks later...

engine is bolted in but nothing else hooked up to it yet. got the modified shifters and linkage in place.

seems to shift fine.

got my dad's 83 wagon here now to steal some parts from it before it goes to the crusher....

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Did you put the MTN Griz graphics on the car? Did youhave them made or did youjust come across them. You mentioned replacing a fender; will this screw up the graphics?

Thanks.

This has always been one of my favorite cars on this board, and I have been on here a while. Glad to see she's back in good hands.

this is what it looked like when I forst got it....

http://usmb.net/gallery/album93/bratgriz_1

the Mountain Grizzly decals were aftermarket decals actually made for a Subaru Hatchback. I got 'em off eBay...

when I had the wagon before, I hit a deer, and lost the hood and left front fender.

I'll be getting the correct color fender and hood for it, and I'm going to try and replicate the fender portion of the decal...

After I'm all done getting it back in order my Dad might get it....

• 2 weeks later...

another good day. it's alive. ran it today for a little while.

fixed up some headlight wiring

got color matched left fender, hood and cowl on. it's all red again.

stock roof rack bars installed

getting reaquainted with the wiring mods this thing has....

trying to chase down PW problem. drivers window will not work. either switch... other 3 windows work fine... motor was tested, and it's good....

I'll have to trace it and see where it's losing power....

• 1 month later...

okay, fixed the drivers side window (wire unplugged)

got rid of the bad tranny (now has one from a '86 Brat....)

new battery cable

lights on the roof

... and stuff still in progress....

new front wheel bearings

new front axles

some new brake pads

lights on brush guard

hope to have it all put back together tomorrow, so I can take it on a road trip Friday.....