Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The RX Carnage revealed (semi-56k friendly)

Early last week I was able to get some friends to help push the RX into the garage. And since today is my day off I had the time to start tearing into the engine.

Only spent an hour in the garage, goal was to expose the broken block. Didnt take long to take a look at all the wiring and disconnect what had to be. With this being the 1st time I've dissasembled a EA82T certain things were confusing me like the fuel injector connections and what-haveyou... but after tracing everything back to the main harness connections I realized I could bypass most the labor and take the manifold off as a complete piece, wiring and all.

I was amazed at how simple it became. I managed to rip a few hoses, but since Im replacing every one I can, i figured the torn end would serve as a marker so I know where they lead. After I removed the bolts holding the manifold on I was able to lift everything off together, even the smog canister.

And this is what I found:

DSC00641.sized.jpg

Here is a couple large versions as links.

http://gallery.usmb.net/albums/album42/DSC00642.jpg

http://gallery.usmb.net/albums/album42/DSC00641.jpg

Here are the pieces I could remove from the block. There are some more pieces inside I'll need to crack the block to remove.

DSC00643.sized.jpg

And a slightly better view of the inside of my block.

DSC00644.sized.jpg

So now I've got the oil draining and I will have to goto my work to get an engine hoist. But the plan is to have the block removed and in pieces by tomorrow night. Then I can work on getting a new block and reasembling an engine that can work in the RX.

Stay Tuned!

-Brian

It had been burning oil the week prior. I carried 7qt's with me throughout the week (leftover from a case i bought). I guess it was going through more than I thought. We'll make sure the next block is good and tight. Got new timing belts yesterday, have the EA82 Engine Kit comming from SOA (last one in the US according to Will & Subiegal) so the last thing to do is find a new block.

Thinkin of doing the carbbed block trick. Still alittle skeptical.

-Brian

The pressure gauge was at 0. Its been at 0 since i got the car, as has almost every subaru ive owned. I have never relied on the oil gauges, they never seem to work. I know when i put this engine back together i will have a set of manual gauges. My temp gauge was alittle iffy as well... im hoping I didnt over heat the motor at all.

-Brian

Thats a good chunk outa the block there.

I would make sure all is well with your fuel/spark/knock control when you get it back together. That is not normal.

well if you want I already removed my RX motor, built up the new one I had all the parts for and droped it in.

the old motor is just sitting on my engine stand getting in my way. I would like to keep it but I have too many projects going on at the same time.

It has low compression with lots of blow by. I did not tear it down to inspect further. If you want it I could pull off the heads and take a look.

PM me if interested. Maby you misunderstood me last time when I said it would be dirt cheap;) .

high or low it doesnt make a difference.

i wonder why people other than I blow these up like so....

i lost one due to the 5 qts i put in it dissapearing in a matter of 5 miles...locked up...then unlocked and screwed all the bearings.

the other one, first one...was 20w50 with a fram in the wintertime....6400 RPM...spun a rod bearing....block was fine.

as it turned out...oil starvation AND the fram came apart.

Otherwise...i've done nothing but balls to the wall with every engine after that.....either cheap headgaskets blow, or....rings give up....or....well, thats it so far.

Ive seen a few of them at the wreckers, pictures and heard stories about Subaru engines going like that, what really caused it??

Loss of Oil?

Oil not matching heat range?

or very worn bearings?

Blocked oil sleeves (where the rods are there is a small hole to feed oil into)?

Cheers

AP