Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cheap boots

Well, I ran a search but I couldn't get a specific answer to: Why does the right front cv boot keep tearing? More important - is there a h.d boot out there that anyone can give me a name/part #? This is a rust-bucket 84 wagon 5-speed 2wd. that I put a reman axle into a year ago and it has torn 2 boots since in less than 5000 miles of 90% highway use. Or should I just do the el cheapo split-boot thing every 6 months? Thanks up front, people.

I read somewhere that the right front boot fails so often because it's cooking, placed right over the hot catalytic converter, and is in kind of a dead area for airflow even in motion. Plus when you stop the car, it gets baked for a while.

Makes sense to me. Wherever I read that, the person said he'd made a sheet metal piece that fit in between the converter and the boot -- which makes a lot of sense to me.

Having just had to replace one on my 1988 GL, I'm going to look into it.

Don't want to put anything in that might fall off and screw up the steering, of course.

Ideas welcome.

Heck, the best thing might be a double-walled aluminum baking pan from Target -- I use them all the time under laptop computers, they're rigid, they transfer heat away real fast, and the double layer with air space means that even when one side is getting a lot of radiant heat in, it spreads out rather than just heating up and radiating on in the same direction.

Anyone?

Haven't done it to any of mine yet, but I've made heat-shields out of aluminum roof flashing in the past. Comes in various widths, easy to work with, and fairly low on price for the amount you get. Want to wear some heavy gloves when working with it though, slices skin real easy.

Cut it longer than you really need, then cut a couple of tabs into it where it would be over the pipe(s), bend tabs as needed to reach pipe(s), use radiator hose clamps to hold tabs to the pipe. Want to leave about an inch of air space between it and the converter.

May last for awhile, may fall off under some heavy off-roading. But you have enough left over to make more, and it's not real difficult to do. 1st one may take you a bit of time, but any after that will be quicker. If you get it wider than whatever it is you're shielding, you can bend the sides down a bit to stiffen it up some.

Thanks, people. TomRhere, are you trying to corner the Brat market?? Anyway,, I happen to have some 30 gauge galvanized flashing and I'll cut a shield as Tom described. And, I will check engine mounts as well. Plus I'd still appreciate any input on quality brand boots, thanks.

Well, I ran a search but I couldn't get a specific answer to: Why does the right front cv boot keep tearing? More important - is there a h.d boot out there that anyone can give me a name/part #? This is a rust-bucket 84 wagon 5-speed 2wd. that I put a reman axle into a year ago and it has torn 2 boots since in less than 5000 miles of 90% highway use. Or should I just do the el cheapo split-boot thing every 6 months? Thanks up front, people.

I tcan be cooking from the cat.

In my car ut was frame rot ..... the big c .... cancer

the frame wa so far out and flexing from the rust the same axke biit kept going.

finally the car went to the junkyard

nipper

Well, I put about 120 miles on my car with the replacement boot. The shop that replaced it didn't clean off the stripe of grease the split boot had thrown out along the top of the catalytic converter (nor the firewall, underside of the hood, etc).

By the time we got home we had quite a column of smoke rising off the top of the catalytic converter -- that grease takes a LONG time to burn off.

It was very obvious it was coming up right around the new boot, on both sides, just covering it with the heat and burnt grease from the top of the converter.

So -- besides going in with a wire brush and cleaning the thing off sometime soon, the idea of a heat shield sounds VERY attractive now.

I do not know how much things move around in there when the vehicle's in motion -- I assume the boot and axle move a lot and the catalytic converter moves as much as the engine does compared to the frame. So I'm worried about spacing.

Anyone got any expertise to offer, or design advice?

It's certainly clear the heat from the catalytic converter --- just an inch or so below the boot -- is going to be baking that thing dead very fast.

I've made a heat shield for my '87 dl wagon. Made it from scrap roof flashing, about 7" (wide with 2 small angle folds) and 12" long with a tab - bent, that attaches with a hose clamp to where the heat riser pipe connects with the cat. The folds allow it to dip down below the boot for maximum clearance. It's been on for 3 months and has held up well and the boot is never hot.

Tom

Well, I put about 120 miles on my car with the replacement boot. The shop that replaced it didn't clean off the stripe of grease the split boot had thrown out along the top of the catalytic converter (nor the firewall, underside of the hood, etc).

By the time we got home we had quite a column of smoke rising off the top of the catalytic converter -- that grease takes a LONG time to burn off.

It was very obvious it was coming up right around the new boot, on both sides, just covering it with the heat and burnt grease from the top of the converter.

So -- besides going in with a wire brush and cleaning the thing off sometime soon, the idea of a heat shield sounds VERY attractive now.

I do not know how much things move around in there when the vehicle's in motion -- I assume the boot and axle move a lot and the catalytic converter moves as much as the engine does compared to the frame. So I'm worried about spacing.

Anyone got any expertise to offer, or design advice?

It's certainly clear the heat from the catalytic converter --- just an inch or so below the boot -- is going to be baking that thing dead very fast.

I have a Heavy Duty universal CV/DOJ boot that I got out of the JCWhitney catalog....I'm not sure about the heat, but I got mine to be used in the rear DOJ's where there is a little more telescoping force (from the lift) and these allow for more play. They're great, and I think cost the same as a NAPA boot kit!

or just don't worry about it? broken boot aint no thing. 50,000+ miles on front broken boots and more on the rears.....never had one break yet.

that whole smoke thing is annoying, but once it's all thrown out it stops! might start clicking, just turn the radio up.

just dont go in the mud....torn boot + mud = broken CV....right now!

Tom, can you sketch how you did yours? I can't quite figure it out from the description -- sounds like a 7 x 12" piece attached only at one point with the tab, sticking out and dipping down under? Doesn't it flop around in motion?

Sounds like you're describing something like this drawn in 'cross section' but I'm not sure where the heat riser is in relation to the converter and boot. (periods should be spaces, the software here seems hostile to 'ASCII art')

Heat riser>||

..........tab =___ .(O)----axle and boot

...............||.... \___/.......bent sheet metal between stock parts

........____||~~~~~~~~~

................hot converter