Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VLSD Finally Installed!

Well after having this diff sitting in my garage all autumn, I finally got around to filling it with Redline fluid and installing it in my wagon. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the snow, but I did do some standing starts in gravel and so far it launches very hard, but the car is harder to rotate now in the slick stuff. I'll be going up to work at Snoqualmie Pass tomorrow (Where it dumped this morning), and I'll post back with the results compaired to the open one. By the way, this is a 3.900 VLSD from a 91 Legacy SS and it bolted into my car without any problems.

Could I do this to my 90 Loyale, or would it be easier to a 3.7 to a 3.9?

Well after having this diff sitting in my garage all autumn, I finally got around to filling it with Redline fluid and installing it in my wagon. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the snow, but I did do some standing starts in gravel and so far it launches very hard, but the car is harder to rotate now in the slick stuff. I'll be going up to work at Snoqualmie Pass tomorrow (Where it dumped this morning), and I'll post back with the results compaired to the open one. By the way, this is a 3.900 VLSD from a 91 Legacy SS and it bolted into my car without any problems.

The VLSD from the early Legacy is a direct replacement for the EA diff, it has male spined stubs that match the EA82T axels.

I have '91 Legacy SS with the VLSD and I find its very smooth and progressive, but I've never found the clutch type LSD in my RX overly harsh. I think that for a street car the VLSD is better.

The rear LSD/VLSD will make the car harder to rotate (understeer) up to the point where you have enough power to break the rear end loose, then it will create more oversteer. I find this effect much more pronounced with the LSD than the VLSD.

Gary

Since you have VLSD now, What kind of stubs axels did it have/

Did it either have E10 bolt or stubs with a ring on it that pops out or male CV joints that mates with the diff?

Just curious

Cheers

AP

the turbo legacy VLSD's use stub shafts with C-clips.

I maybe able to come across another one. They arent too many of them because I think they only made the legacy ss Ej22T for 2 years. I know there is 4 or 5 or them running around up here. I'm trying to get one of them for the engine and wiring harness, so I'll let you know if I come across one.

Welcome to the board, good to see more alaska members.

Thank you. I'm going to look a little bit more down here and in the palmer wasillia area in hopes for one or two. I'll let you know as well.

I maybe able to come across another one. They arent too many of them because I think they only made the legacy ss Ej22T for 2 years. I know there is 4 or 5 or them running around up here. I'm trying to get one of them for the engine and wiring harness, so I'll let you know if I come across one.

Welcome to the board, good to see more alaska members.

Hmmm, I thought it had male stubs, guess I'll have to take a closer look.

Gary

Yep, they are short stub axles with 'C' clips holding them in, you can therefore use the same rear diff on newer cars where the axle goes directly into the rear diff (like an Impreza), no stub axles.

Righto,

The axle stubs - for the LSD Diff did it look like the top axel stub top one in the pic below or bottom one? (I'm aware that the bottom stub doesn't have a C Clip, its from 86 Subaru with a bolt) Or it had both short stubs in both sides on VLSD (similar to bottom stub in the pic)?

DSCF4297.jpg

(That top stub is from Clutch Pack LSD)

ouch..... that bottom stub shaft got hotter than hell....looks like my outer stub shaft did when my wheel bearing burned up and I drove it for 3000 miles after bearings fell out.

Doesn't sound too good!!!

Nah the E10's bolt head got broken up so the only way I had to cut it thru with a saw that is why it looked like that it has been hot - replaced with another one I had.

Cheers

AP

Well guys, I finally got to drive the car in the snow. Like All Talk said, the car is harder to rotate, but now, when it starts slipping or is on the edge of slipping, the car is very grippy and will go anywhere I point it! It is VERY smooth, I can't even tell it is kicking in except that it will drive through anything. A few days ago I drove up a forest service road, almost slid off (because of lack of traction, not goofing off), but chains saved me. This was with the open diff. With the new diff and no chains I drove until I was almost bottoming out on snow, so I turned around. I drove probably 4 miles further than I did with just chains and 4WD. If you have one of these sitting around, PUT IT IN!!! You won't regret it! Oh and it has the same spline count as a normally asperated EA81/82, not the turbo ones, so I will fit in any old sube.

Is this the part# 27011AA131 for the rear diff that fits an on EA82 non-turbo? This came off a 91 Legacy turbo. If so I'm in for a swap.
It's not the fact that the car is turbo or not that is important, it is the ratio od the rear diff. In this case, the Legacy Turbo rear diff has a 3.90 ratio that same as the N/A EA82 and EA81 cars. I would hate to think what that part would cost new, if they were still available. Just checked 1st Subaru Parts, they want $1032.67 for the part, but they don't say if it is still available, list price is $1117.61.

Forgot to add that it is the 3.9. I found one and was just wondering if this was the same one that carfreak85 or, torxxx installed. I also called Subaru here in Alaska and they wanted like $1300 and some change. When they said that My Sh*t air seperator stuck open and now I have an extra mark on my BDU's.

It's not the fact that the car is turbo or not that is important, it is the ratio od the rear diff. In this case, the Legacy Turbo rear diff has a 3.90 ratio that same as the N/A EA82 and EA81 cars. I would hate to think what that part would cost new, if they were still available. Just checked 1st Subaru Parts, they want $1032.67 for the part, but they don't say if it is still available, list price is $1117.61.

Forgot to add that it is the 3.9. I found one and was just wondering if this was the same one that carfreak85 or, torxxx installed. I also called Subaru here in Alaska and they wanted like $1300 and some change. When they said that My Sh*t air seperator stuck open and now I have an extra mark on my BDU's.
Yes, that is the same one Freak used, there is only one VLSD in a turbo Legacy and that is it.

Just wanted to add some more observations that I've had since driving the car in more conditions. When trying to drift in gravel, it is harder to rotate the car with the new VLSD. However, when I was driving on mostly flat, snow covered roads last night, the car was a willing partner! Easy to get sliding and even easier to control. This is because I can easily spin the tires in snow as opposed to high speeds in gravel.