Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifting to 4WD on the Fly

the reason to have your wheels straight when shifting from 2wd to 4wd is so that the wheel speed are all close to the same. so when you engage the rear end there won't be any grinding. when shifting from 4 hi to 4 lo since you already have the rear end engaged it is not important to have them straight.

well maybe if you're in a turn but on dry pavement, shifting from High to Low is perfectly fine that I know of. Done it lots of times and never had any issues...

yep, just make sure you push in the clutch, it's just like changing any of the other gears

if you have issues with getting out of 4WD you should go in reverse and back up a car length or so to unload the bind in the tranny. i put it into 4WD on wet roads, ice, snow, and gravel. i heard someone say "dont engage 4WD unless there is at LEAST a 10-20% slippage factor on the surface your driving on. seems to work for me. i also go into 4 LO while on the fly, i dont jam it in there, i give it time ( a second or two) to engage and then i let the clutch out slowly.

~Josh~

My trick for getting out of 4WD if it's a bit bound up is just to hit the brakes hard enough to cause some slip. It frees things right up.

I see no problems with shifting between 4Lo & 4Hi on the fly - as said above, it's just like shifting between other gears. The front & rear stay locked, and an additional reduction gets dropped in.

I don't *usually* shift between 4Hi & 4Lo on the fly though, because I use 4Lo for "Ah, crap, I guess I *am* stuck."

-=Russ=-

I Shift on the fly up and down from hi to lo. You just gotta be easy on it and match the gear speed. If you are gonna shift to 4lo from 4hi 1st gear you need to be in 3rd gear before you put it in 4lo to match up the gear speeds to your tire speeds.

Shifting from 4lo to 4hi works just fine, just hold the clutch down and it'll shift right out of lo to hi

Torxxx:

> shift to 4lo from 4hi 1st gear you need to be in 3rd gear

> before you put it in 4lo to match up the gear speeds to your tire speeds.

How? You're in high range 4wd in first gear.

Going how fast?

Do you

-- put in the clutch

-- move the gearshift to third

-- move the transmission to low range

-- let in the clutch

??

I dunno, I've always been crawling just above stall uphill in high first gear and just shifted into low range and given it a little gas as I let the clutch up, ending up in first gear in low range. But I've wondered.

I personally use 4Lo like it's another gear. I don't sweat changing gears while changing between the ranges most of the time. The only thing that I do worry about is rev-matching and that's the same as shifting any into any other gear. I've put my Brat into some great slides in low traction roads by downshifting into Lo using 2nd gear and it works flawlessly.

Owning EA D/R's has made me dislike driving trucks and other non on the fly 4WD's more because of the lack of versatility for city and highway driving.

As far as the MPH that I'll go in 4-Hi or -Lo, it is limited by the gearing, the occasional speed limit sign, and my engine power. When I ran the D/R in RWD, I had no problem using 4Lo on the highway for hills and on-ramp accelerations and am not worried about the Lo range standing up to high speeds, I think its fine to do 65+ in Lo if you can get your car that fast on safe roadways.