Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Racer - or - Off Road

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone have any pictures of old subarus lowered and "street racer" looking???

Do you mean "street ricer"? If your in for looks its ricer, if you want to go fast and drag people at the lights then I guess you could say racer. Don't forget, I laugh at "done up" cars, cos most of the time they nevet touch the inners. I think many others do laugh as well.

Anyway, lowering is fine. Not all subies have to be monsters. Make sure you get some clean looking mags for it and maybe a side scirt and front air dam. Don't go over board and paint it in pretty shinny colors tho... that makes me sick from the amount of laughing whne people do that.

Okay, I'm just going to square with you here.

There is nothing - nothing that can make an EA82 look good - not without spending a bunch of cash. Brad's car is nice-looking, and I really dig it for what it is, but it's still a tipped-over-refridgerator on wheels, even if those wheels are 17s :) . Aside from cars such as the AMC Pacer, the Toyota Echo, and the Ford Mustang II, there's not much out there less racy-looking than an EA82, unless the race look you're going for is the rally look.

Every time I'm near the local high school I always get a good laugh out of the kids that are going to make a "showcar" out of their mom's Chrysler LeBaron or an early-nineties Ford T-bird. These cars, the EA82 included have zero aftermarket support in this realm, and thus, are difficult to modify for looks. It can be done - Brad's car is the example - the one example, and a fine example it is. But I'm sure he would agree that making an EA82 look good is not exactly easy or cheap.

If you want a car to modify to look good, I recommend an Impreza. There's plenty of aftermarket support and you've got a great engine to start with.

As for your sedan, if it's 4WD, lift it, wheel it, get it dirty. That's where these old Subies rock.

Ok, time to inject some old man mentality here.

If I were you (God, wish I was) I would concentrate on my driving . You have been driving for what? A year maybe? If you try and make your car look faster, your just going to try and drive faster. That means tickets, accidents, maybe death.

You need to learn how to be subtle. Tints the windows. Trust me, this is nice when your GF is in the car with you. Put a nice sound system in it.

Then just learn to drive it, learn how to work on it and enjoy it for a while.

Ok, time to inject some old man mentality here.

If I were you (God, wish I was) I would concentrate on my driving . You have been driving for what? A year maybe? If you try and make your car look faster, your just going to try and drive faster. That means tickets, accidents, maybe death.

You need to learn how to be subtle. Tints the windows. Trust me, this is nice when your GF is in the car with you. Put a nice sound system in it.

Then just learn to drive it, learn how to work on it and enjoy it for a while.

Or turn in into the ultimate sleeper. Get that paperweight out from under the hood, throw a WRX drivetrain in there, change nothing else except maybe add a AAA sticker to the bumper, and enjoy the look on people's faces when you leave tire scraps on their windshield. I also recommend carrying a paintball gun for this, and after flogging them off the line, its always a nice compliment to drift about 90 degrees, roll down your window down and paintball the crap out of their POS while they're still trying to figure out what happend off the line. As Starsky and Hutch used to say, DO IT. :banana:

Look, theres no easy way to lower your car. It means you would either have to cut the springs (not a good idea) or go the 5 lug swap route (which might put it out of your price range). I suggested no heavy mods, just make it a nice daily driver until you can afford or find something better. If you dont like our ideas here, go to NASIOC.com. They will help.

I would suggest you try to stiffen your suspension rather than lower it - it will achieve a similar outcome, especially if you use Peugeot wheels for a "plus 1" style rim - a larger front swaybar would help too

RX's have the stiffest front springs from the factory; I think 4WD station wagons have stiffer springs than yours too - the 1985 MY's have adjustable coilover preloads for the front struts (you can lower the front easily) the rear coilovers off 4WD cars have 3 adjustable levels for the preloads - don't know how they will work with 2WD trailing arms though - I think the front springs off a specific late 80's/early 90's honda will fit the rear coilovers, and they are MUCH stiffer than the stock ones

if you convert to 4WD, you could get the trailing arms that have a swaybar assy, and that would also improve handeling

those are your cheapest options, and they are still not very cheap without a good JY

BTW - that interrior is CLEAN!! - you don't usually see an interrior that clean on a car that old

You know, Tyler, just because you haven't yet heard what you want to hear doesn't mean we won't come around to your way of thinking in about 282373465 more pages of this. C'mon, what are you--a 16-year-old blond girl with her dad's credit card? Or a young man with a sweet ride and the intelligence to make something absolutely unique and purposeful? Moderate lift, Pug wheels, EA82T and you will remember that car until the day you die. Fond memories, too, not the kind you'll have if you try to drop it and add 385 pounds of Fiberglas body-kit stupidity.

Unfortunately for you, you have run across one of the sites on the internet that is full of car enthusiasts that refuse to pander to the popular culture of ricing out your car. That is why i come here. I also visit SOHChonda for the same reason. Engine and suspension performance come first, sound systems and body kits a far second. Realize that body kits will gain your car nothing, and if you think it will get you chicks attention, you wouldn't want the kind of chicks it would attract. The airodynamics of the EA82 subarus (XT's not included) kinda suck. Putting 150 pounds of swoopy fiberglass on it will not help. The car can only do 110 on a downhill anyway.

If you don't want to adress engine performace (He has a spfi EA82, so anyone talking like he has a turbo is misguided), go for a badarse sound system. The trunk is beautifly empty: fill it with amps and subs. Do high quality work, so it doesn't sound like a rattling tin can, and blow people away. I have had cars pull up behind me and the sound made my rearview mirrors shake. Tint the windows a bit, and keep the exterior the same. People will have to look around a bit to find the sourse of the bass and will notice more.

You know, Tyler, just because you haven't yet heard what you want to hear doesn't mean we won't come around to your way of thinking in about 282373465 more pages of this. C'mon, what are you--a 16-year-old blond girl with her dad's credit card? Or a young man with a sweet ride and the intelligence to make something absolutely unique and purposeful? Moderate lift, Pug wheels, EA82T and you will remember that car until the day you die. Fond memories, too, not the kind you'll have if you try to drop it and add 385 pounds of Fiberglas body-kit stupidity.

common dude that was uncalled for. i expect an apology.

how much clearer can i make myself!

im NOT a ricer

i dont want to be a ricer

i dont think ricers are cool

i would love to make my car a off road subie - but its 2wd so i was exporing my other options.

I found it! took forever to find it, I knew I had seen it before:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/237066

Is that the look you're going for?

I'm sorry, we really shouldn't be busting your balls over this, but you have a remarkably clean car. It's in amazing shape, and to see it molested with a body kit would be horrible. Lowering is ok, someone mentioned adjustable struts out of an 86. I have a set, they use bolts to adjust the spring landing.

I am not dissing you for wanting to lower it.

Just don't get fiberglass and viynal grafics involved. Please.

okay...take me seriously...

1st of all your car will never be fast without a motor swap, and having been recently in your shoes ( im 23) i would say keep the stock motor for now. your in highschool and dont have much money, unless mom and dad are paying for it. i would go with a 2'' header-back exhaust, get rid of that stupid 2nd catylitic converter (unless you have emissions testing in your area). if you have emissions testing and cant do exhaust i would say shortblock swap. not to spendy, but will take mechanical knowledge and the ability to read, ask your dad to help you, if dad doesnt know jack about cars, ask a friend at school that mods the engine of his car. if he is at all open minded he will help you. doesnt matter if its a honda or whatever. have him help you do the shortblock swap. you need the shortblock from a carbed EA82. your compresion will go up, and if you ping or knock, you might have to go to plus/medium grade gas. that wont net you much for power, maybe 4-6 hp. please say if you have emissions in your area, if not we can help ALOT more!!! and by all means tint the windows, get a decent stereo and subs. i took my EA82 wagon to the drive-in and shook mountain dew 2 liters off the roof of my car with my bass, and got complements.

~Josh~

Go back to the first post in this thread. The Pictures of the car. one of them is an underhood picture.

SPFI

Swaping to a carb block will LOOSE power. IT IS NOT TURBO!

However, port maching a spfi manifold and head will help some. Apparantly the intake manifold gasket is smaller than the diameter of the manifold, so trimming everything will help.