Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder question...

bella

Its like for noobies who cant use a handbrake to do a hill start, nah jk. Yeh but you dont have to brake you just let out the clutch on a hill and you dont roll back.

lol :D

the hill holder works like this:

1. you stop on an uphill slope

2. You push the brake and the clutch in

At this point, the hill holder (which is technically just a "pressure hold" valve in the brake system) kicks in, and "locks" the brakes on.

Now, you want to take off again, going up the hill.

3. You let go of the brake.

At this stage, the hill holder is still holding the brakes on, because you've got the clutch pedal in. This holds the car still on the uphill slope, so you don't have to worry about growing a third leg or using the e-brake.

4. You rev it up and ease off the clutch.

A properly adjusted hill holder should let go of the brakes as soon as the clutch starts engaging, or at least this is my understanding.

When this happens, you'll hear a thump, and the car will start rolling backwards a bit, but by then you've got the clutch out enough and you're off :D

anywho, back on topic:

This week-end I have made some adjustements to my hill holder cable. Now is working great but is working even on less than 10 degrees hills.

Is ok????...or must work on greater than 20-30 degrees hills.

Thanks.

My hill holder works if there's even the slightest clue of a hill. Sometimes it works even if I don't notice a hill! :)

so you don't have to worry about growing a third leg or using the e-brake.

Heh you can also turn your foot side ways and use the brake and accelerator at the same time :clap:. Sorry about being negative but everytime I see someone roll back at the lights I think: learn how to drive or how about some effort.

Actually, if the hill holder is adjusted right, you should be able to let off the clutch without a thump and without rolling bckwards as you take off. I wouldn't worry about the 10 degree hill. The hillholder should only engage if your foot is all the way into the clutch on an uphill slope.

For those of you who missed it, Ford has just introduced a hill holder clutch, which, of course, is "NEW!" in their advertising.

The original hill holder came from Studebaker. I still think it's a really cool invention.

Well... I think everything is fine with your Hill Holder; but you must know that if you tight very much the adjustment, you can make that the hill holder cable do pressure in your clutch everytime... even a Little bit can make to wear the clutch / press soo fast, It is like driving a car with the left foot resting on the clutch pedal all the time.

So be careful, and see if your hill holder cable is not holding the clutch without pressure in the pedal.

Also:

...The original hill holder came from Studebaker. I still think it's a really cool invention.

Wich Studebaker?

Well... I think everything is fine with your Hill Holder; but you must know that if you tight very much the adjustment, you can make that the hill holder cable do pressure in your clutch everytime... even a Little bit can make to wear the clutch / press soo fast, It is like driving a car with the left foot resting on the clutch pedal all the time.

So be careful, and see if your hill holder cable is not holding the clutch without pressure in the pedal.

Also:

Wich Studebaker?

Thanks...I'll ceck.:)

Its like for noobies who cant use a handbrake to do a hill start, nah jk. Yeh but you dont have to brake you just let out the clutch on a hill and you dont roll back.
Guess I never noticed it, but then my dad was a truck driver and my mom drove school bus, so I never had any problem with driving a manual. I'll have to test it on my hatch not that I need it....thanks. ~~Lucas

It depends on where you live. Here in the Bay Area we have tons

of steep-rump roast hills. It comes in real handy here. My HH only accuates

when I depress the clutch all the way in anyway, so I can decide

whether I want it to hold or not.

It depends on where you live. Here in the Bay Area we have tons

of steep-rump roast hills. It comes in real handy here. My HH only accuates

when I depress the clutch all the way in anyway, so I can decide

whether I want it to hold or not.

ha not all of the bay area. okay SF and oakland might,but not san jose :grin: .

Hill holder actually only locks the left rear brake, preventing roll back. It also replaces the return spring, holding the release bearing from riding on the pressure plate. Once the clutch pedal height is set, tighten the hill-holder adjustment until you can just see daylight between the spring coils, about the space of a dime, slightly less if you live in a hilly area.

ha not all of the bay area. okay SF and oakland might,but not san jose :grin: .

I didn't say EVERY city in the Bay Area is full of steep hills. I should have

said East Bay I guess. Oakland, Richmond, Orinda, Berkeley, San Leandro,

Hayward, Fremont, etc. all have plenty of places where the HH comes in

handy. And yes, San Jose has a few as well. Now Stockton is a different

story.

I figure that not having it would put a lot more stress on the clutch if

you live somewhere with stop signs at the top of steep hills.

Hill holder actually only locks the left rear brake, preventing roll back. It also replaces the return spring, holding the release bearing from riding on the pressure plate. Once the clutch pedal height is set, tighten the hill-holder adjustment until you can just see daylight between the spring coils, about the space of a dime, slightly less if you live in a hilly area.

Hmmm? When mine was out of adjustment, it was the left front wheel that was locked up, not the rear one.

I didn't say EVERY city in the Bay Area is full of steep hills. I should have

said East Bay I guess. Oakland, Richmond, Orinda, Berkeley, San Leandro,

Hayward, Fremont, etc. all have plenty of places where the HH comes in

handy. And yes, San Jose has a few as well. Now Stockton is a different

story.

I figure that not having it would put a lot more stress on the clutch if

you live somewhere with stop signs at the top of steep hills.

yeah i went though oakland on 580 the other day on my way to the bay bridge and gosh that downtown has a lot of hills. stockton is flat and if you have been here before you know what i'm talking about. ha there's a saying here in stockton that goes like this, "in stockton there are more cows than people" :lol: . now san jose, gosh i miss san jose :( anyway san jose is not that hilly though.

yeah i went though oakland on 580 the other day on my way to the bay bridge and gosh that downtown has a lot of hills. stockton is flat and if you have been here before you know what i'm talking about. ha there's a saying here in stockton that goes like this, "in stockton there are more cows than people" :lol: . now san jose, gosh i miss san jose :( anyway san jose is not that hilly though.

Well I'm sure you must have noticed the hills that run alongside 580. That's

the East Bay guy. Plenty of steep streets. I lived at the top of a street in

Hayward that was steeper than 99% of what you'll find in SF. That was a

royal PITA. If somebody pulled out of their driveway while you were driving

up the hill and you had to stop for 'em, it was almost impossible to get going

again without the HH. Not to mention the huge stress that the clutch would

have to endure without it.