Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AA wheels good deal?

just painted the wagon and need wheels badly. 13 originals are nasty. has anyone put AA wheels on an 82 wagon. how big should i go unlifted? 14 or 15? future lift in the works so can i fit 15s with smaller tires for now and get bigger tires after lift? should i just stick with 14s? only 3" lift in works.

AA wheels are good,being that they were designed for offroad subarus.However at over $600 with no tires is not really a good deal.instead go with 4x4 chevy or toyata rims.You have two options here drill the hubs to fit the wheels or drill the wheels to fit the hubs(my favorite becuase only 2 holes needs to be drilled in each wheel as opposed to drilling four in the hubs)However if you drill the hubs it looks cleaner because there are no empty holes.it come down to this if you decide to do it: weaken the rims or weaken the hubs.I have some 15X7 wheels that are rated for 5500lbs(each) so redrilling them should make them rated for like 2500lbs per wheel.that alone is worth more than the car...:banana:

AA wheels are good,being that they were designed for offroad subarus.However at over $600 with no tires is not really a good deal.instead go with 4x4 chevy or toyata rims.You have two options here drill the hubs to fit the wheels or drill the wheels to fit the hubs(my favorite becuase only 2 holes needs to be drilled in each wheel as opposed to drilling four in the hubs)However if you drill the hubs it looks cleaner because there are no empty holes.it come down to this if you decide to do it: weaken the rims or weaken the hubs.I have some 15X7 wheels that are rated for 5500lbs(each) so redrilling them should make them rated for like 2500lbs per wheel.that alone is worth more than the car...:banana:

I really doubt drilling the hubs weakens them, but in the long run its better to drill the hubs, and probably get some rear discs before you drill them(so you dont have to do it again if you have to replace the drums). If you ever mess up a wheel or want a differant sized wheel or whatever, you will have to drill them too. .

Personally I drill out chevy white spokes - they are ~$30 brand new literally anywhere, are stamped from some pretty formidable material, and are WAY overkill for the weight of a soob.

I've thrashed them pretty hard, and I can say that you will break axles and diffs long before you break one of those rims. Drilliing them does not weaken the rim in the slightest.

Now - if you are going with a divorced t-case or some other big crawl ratio setup, then it would be best to drill the hubs for 6 lugs. Not because you will weaken the rim, but rather you can break off the lug nuts being there are only 4 of them. 6 will make it a little stronger and harder to snap them off.

GD

400 bucks is a lot for a set of rims. I realize they are in the 4x140 pattern, but they are your basic steel wheels. I could see paying 400 for alloy or mag wheels, but not steel wheels.

I pay'd 60 bucks for 6 14" pug rims. Yota rims can be bought for close to the same price. Drill two holes in the rims and they fit on your car.

IIRC, I saw 28 or 29 inch tires that come on 14 inch rims.....

allied armament if you dropped the price to 300 for 4 or 400 for 5 tires (for the spare), might sell a lil better. Those rims can't cost you guys more than 50 bucks a rim, especially if they are mass produced

redrill toyota/pugs= 5

AA wheels=1

OH!!! BURN!

If AA is listening/viewing lower the price or include rubber with the $400

four rims with super swampers for 400! where do I sign!!!

that would be a good discount considering super swampers in that size are just short of 100 a pop.

or could creat a combo for like $600 ive seen combo's with X rim and Y tire sell for 4-800

just make the tires 27X9.5X15 super swamper SSR's:banana:

Dude - AA doesn't make the rims - they order them from a rim manufacturer - just like any of us could do. I'm sure their price is dictated by their supplier. Believe me, they would be cheap if any old fab shop could punch out rims. Takes special equipment..... but really all they are doing is taking a blank steel rim, and drilling them to the custom pattern that AA asks them for.

Lets see....

Yota steels (in black) = $32 each x 4 = $128 local pickup.

AA rims = $100 each x 4 = $400 local pickup.

That's the price of a Weber difference people - all you have to do is buy a drill bit and get crackin. I drilled mine with a 1/2" hand drill from like the 1940's - it wasn't even variable speed.

If you really wanted to be fancy, you could weld the left over holes, grind, sand and have the set of 4 powder coated and STILL be $150 less than those AA rims. Powder coat is $25 per rim for white or black, so $100 there, and I doubt anyone would charge more than $50 to weld and grind those holes for you.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys! i think i'll get some wheels and redrill them. i called around to junk yards down here about pugs, and some old guy laughed when i said peugot. had not even heard of it. so, redrill is the best option. AA's a re cool as ************, but $400 plus shipping really cuts into the budget for the rubber. saw some cool toyo wheels used $40 bucks each.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize this is old post, but up same alley as my question...

How do AA wheels fit on normal non-lifted suby or a 2wd. The only pics I found show them sticking way out of fender wells.I contacted AA for more pics and no response.

$400 before shipping is still less than what I can't find.

13 years and 200k on crappy 13 inch suby wheels... 15 inch new would go even farther.What is another 10-20 years for 400 bucks?

Les Schwab, Tire Factory, etc. Got mine for $25 each from a local tire factory. Just tell them you want the basic white "trailer" rim in a chevy 6 lug. It's going to be cheaper from a tire shop as they will order them and get them with their usual shipment - shipping for online purchase would be spendy.... probably more than the rims themselves.

Try Mazda rims for a more subaru like offset, or stock Toyota rims.

GD

• Like 1