Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soobie Trailer

That'd be AWESOME!! Do you think your EA82 would pull it?

And while we're on the subject, any thoughts on trailer hitches for the EA82 wagons? I was lucky enough to get an ABSOLUTELY RUST FREE '87 NA D/R 5-speed (for $375, no less, what sucks about bein' me? NOTHING!!) that I'm going to lift soon. Until then, it's the work vehicle, and I'd rather trailer than carry, I guess. My work trailer only weighs about 800 pounds loaded....

I saw this one that was made out of 2 plymouth mini van rear sections. gave me the idea.If I did this I would like to set it up so you open the rear hatch and there would be your kitchen , you could even stand out of the rain under the hatch, I have a bronco rear tire carrier that could have a box mounted to it wich could end up being a table, also help balance the weight as the front is longer then rear , it could haul all your campin gear and even be a excape from the weather if needed , take out all the seats , keep the gas tank and pump for extra fuel, keep the diff and axles mounted as extra parts for the wheeler , throw the gerator on the roof , maybe add a bunch of lights up top,:brow:

I saw this one that was made out of 2 plymouth mini van rear sections. gave me the idea.If I did this I would like to set it up so you open the rear hatch and there would be your kitchen , you could even stand out of the rain under the hatch, I have a bronco rear tire carrier that could have a box mounted to it wich could end up being a table, also help balance the weight as the front is longer then rear , it could haul all your campin gear and even be a excape from the weather if needed , take out all the seats , keep the gas tank and pump for extra fuel, keep the diff and axles mounted as extra parts for the wheeler , throw the gerator on the roof , maybe add a bunch of lights up top,:brow:

LOVE this idea! I've spent quite a few days camping in the back of my gl wagon in Baja. We use a tent to cook in, but found it's better to sleep in the wagon as the wind can really blow there!! sometimes for 3-4 days straight and a flapping tent keeps me awake. Sweet, keep us posted! Cheers Pesky

mmm, thats pretty cool...

I hadn't thought of a EA82 wagon, i was going to use the tray from a brumby, so it looked just like my brumby which will be towing it. I was going to make a canopy for it and keep the current suspension but add a lift kit to match the brumby's height.

I was basically going for something along the lines of:

http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/

as to what you can haul behind your suby look this is what i pull with a crapy hatch my triler has almost 800lbs worth of stuff in it i think it comes in close to 1500lbs......

so short anserw is yes you can pull it. is it safe:-p probably not the best.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10257&cat=500&ppuser=679

And while we're on the subject, any thoughts on trailer hitches for the EA82 wagons?

There are EA82 trailer hitches. Dalan makes them. You should be able to order one from a shop that installs trailer hitches; they should have the Dalan catalog.

I have one on my lifted Loyale. I towed a loaded 4 x 8 enclosed trailer from Oregon to Virginia with this car (a 5-speed manual), before I lifted the Loyale. Total loaded trailer weight was probably about 1600 lbs., plus about 400 lbs in the car. An auto trans would probably burn up with this big a load, though, unless you installed a trans cooler.

Be sure the tongue weight isn't too heavy; usually about 200 lbs max. I load the heavier stuff either behind or in line with the trailer wheels. If I can lift the trailer tongue fairly easily (i.e. feels like 40 - 80 lbs), I consider the trailer well-balanced.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...