Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help 5-lug Conversion!

Ok I have decided to do the 5-lug conversion on my subaru, here's what I have :

1987 Subaru GL-10 4WD Sedan Air Ride Turbo, Car was converted from 3AT to 5-speed Dual Range (3.90) Also swapped Rear Diff to 3.90.

I need to know EXACTLY what I will need to do the conversion, since I found an XT6 I can strip parts from.

I dont want the air ride anymore, I want coil springs.

I appreciate any help.

you'll want the XT6 to be AWD, have you checked that yet? if it's a manual or rear ratio of 3.9 it's AWD. if it's air suspension it's AWD.

rear - backing plate, hub, rotor. unbolt and take the entire rear control arm with caliper and rotor and you're golden. i think you'll want the brake line too if yours is rear drums. (but being a turbo i think it should have rear discs already)

on the fronts i've heard someone say they got EA82 control arms to work though probably best to snag the XT6 ones while you're there. to get technical - lower suspension arm, ball joint, tie rod ends, front calipers, struts, rotors, backing plate, knuckles and axles. basically take everything up front you can get. keep it as an assembly for easy removal and install.

snag the front air struts from the XT6. the rear struts in your wagon will work fine. i've always wondered if the height sensors between EA82 and XT6 air struts (rears since they are swappable) are different in anyway? that being said, you might be better off grabbing the rear XT6 air struts just in case they are.

i've gotten a good deal of info from searching the boards, so use that and you'll find some good pictures, write ups and info on it.

Ok I have decided to do the 5-lug conversion on my subaru, here's what I have :

1987 Subaru GL-10 4WD Sedan Air Ride Turbo, Car was converted from 3AT to 5-speed Dual Range (3.90) Also swapped Rear Diff to 3.90.

I need to know EXACTLY what I will need to do the conversion, since I found an XT6 I can strip parts from.

I dont want the air ride anymore, I want coil springs.

I appreciate any help.

top right in your screen click on USRM (ultimate subaru reapair manual) and you will find i nice write up in there.

the xt6 axles are 25 spline. the dual range tranny is 23 splines

BUT with the 3at TURBO axles, the doj is swappable onto the xt6 axles since they are the same diaeter, but still 23 splines

OR you can use impreza 1.8 fwd axles, since they are 23 splines, and fit the same as the xt6 axles

top right in your screen click on USRM (ultimate subaru reapair manual) and you will find i nice write up in there.

Ding ding ding... we have a winnAr!

I did a write-up on a parts list and some tips on how the swap goes, depending on what parts you use. If you have any issues, just shoot me a PM and I can help ya through it:)

Ding ding ding... we have a winnAr!

I did a write-up on a parts list and some tips on how the swap goes, depending on what parts you use. If you have any issues, just shoot me a PM and I can help ya through it:)

I know about the USRM, but appartently I has some inaccurate information, this comes from people who attempted the conversion.

Thats why I'm trying to find input from people who have done it themselfs to make sure I get the right parts before I blow a bunch of time and money on this project.

ok side note rant:

for ***** sake will some please remove the incorrect/stupid usage of GC8 in that USRM article :mad: ..we dont even have the "gc8" in america, so just say impreza.

GC8 makes the n00bs go like this :confused: . I wish people actually knew what it stood for before using it, i know corky is with me on this one

So if you all will allow a slight hi jack here. I just finished installing some new stock 2wd struts on the front of my car and adjusted down the rear custom coil overs. well car looks great but rides rather poorly. way too soft in front and too stiff in rear. that said I will be on the hunt for XT6 5 lug swap parts soon. Mostly just to get a better selection of struts.

Now here is my question for those of you running the 5 lug. what struts did you use, why and did they perform like you want them too?

Thanks guys,

russ - on the front of my wagon for teh 5 lug, i bought brand new 2wd xt6 struts from the dealer. due to the drop(from the struts) the 4wd gl springs were just too soft. i was having some rubbing issues with my 17's and had to roll my fenders. i swapped out for 450lb springs. not the best ride quality, but defeinitly better handling.

id imagnine the xt6 2wd struts are/will be stiffer/higher damping than your pre-5lug xt 2wd struts

ok side note rant:

for ***** sake will some please remove the incorrect/stupid usage of GC8 in that USRM article :mad: ..we dont even have the "gc8" in america, so just say impreza.

GC8 makes the n00bs go like this :confused: . I wish people actually knew what it stood for before using it, i know corky is with me on this one

Well I took it from a direct quote that SubaruTex used. Sorry I didn't edit it for your liking Brad:-p

As far as using Legacy items, yes you can since the only difference between an Impreza and a Legacy is mainy the body.

you still need the xt6 front lower control arm....i think the xt6 and impreza/legacy balljoints are the same.....read that somewhere. take it from me, use the impreza front knuckles and struts, trust me. you wont have a front e-brake, but that can be fixed later on.

~Josh~

for struts i used 2wd legacy struts. the part where the knuckle is boltedto is a little wider so the bolts will have to pinch it down

i have seen an xt6 converted fro air strut with an ipreza strut as it was labeled from the salvage. the one tab for the knuckle ount wascut off flush and re-welded for the proper width of the knuckle casting

a tapered reamer will do for the ball joints. tie rods should fot the sae but if not swap on xt6's outers to the inner rods

i think you need impreza axles, cause IIRC the legacy does have a wider track. if your using impreza axles, you need the impreza hub, which means you need the impreza knuckle, which go good with impreza front struts....but i think you can bolt legacy struts onto impreza knuckles, but dont quote me.

~Josh~

ok side note rant:

Umm... wanna tissue?

Impreza would be an inaccurate term, because I know for a fact the 02+ struts are too tall for our cars. In and tested, are GC Impreza components. Whether they came off of a USDM, or JDM, really doesn't matter. Nor does it matter if it came off of a 2 dr, 4 dr, or wagon. There are plenty of things in this world that are improperly referred to... usually because everyone already understands what it means. Please don't try to tell me that a n00b would get so hung up on the fact that it is a GC8 instead of a GC6, GM whatever, or what have you. The idea gets across just the same, and its not going to stop them from posting wanting help and clarification.

EVEN IF WE SPELLED IT OUT IN ALL THE LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD, INCLUDING BINARY, WE WOULD STILL HAVE "N00BS" POSTING FOR CLARIFICATION ON THIS.

Oh yeah, congrats to you and Corky for knowing what a GC8 really is. I'm sure that makes you better than just about everyone else here, including me. Cause even though I know what it is, I still use the popular vernacular.

• 10 months later...