Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much hp gain

if you get a msd ignition control unit, it will boost your hp's well over 80, but the msd ign cont units cost $100 used:eek: you would need a msd-6 or 6a.

Yes,now that is something i would love to give a try.I am not sure how to wire it in but i am sure it can't be too hard.I may just have to go check one out.I already have the msd blaster ss,so I think the other one would be a good addition.:)

Frankly, you will get zilch for HP. You will get a definate change in the torque curve, which most people claim is "more HP" but really isn't. Without changing the cam, there is nothing you can do to the EA81 for more HP - it will still make 74 HP at 4200 RPM. It will breathe a lot better at low RPM due to the progressive linkage of the Weber, and recurving the disty will help to bring the torque down lower. Great for off road. On road performance will benifit too - low end help you break the tires loose on pavement just as much as it gives you traction off road. You still won't break ~100 Mph with the car tho - peak HP will be virtually unchanged. For that - you need a cam, or forced induction.

The emmissions system of an EA81 non-feedback hitachi equipped engine is entirely passive - in other words it uses no engine driven pumps or systems. Therefore it uses NO power at all. The emmissions is composed of three systems - EGR, Catalyst, and Evaporative.

The EGR introduces intert gas into the combustion to reduce oxides of nitrogen by reducing combustion temps. It's really a catch 22 with this system - if it's operating properly, a cooler combustion chamber will have a more dense air charge, so will have MORE power. But at the same time the inert gas takes up some of the space normally occupied by fuel/air mixture, and so reduces power by just about as much. It does in some engines (not specifically EA81's) prevent problems associated with burnt valves - especially in engines counting on it's operation.

The Catalyst system is composed of the converter in your exhaust, and subaru's own version of a "smog pump" that is a reed valve called the "air suction valve". The system is generally refered to as the AIS system (air injection system). The ASV provides fresh unburnt oxygen to the cat in order for it to work. This system is totally passive as it uses the exhaust pulse to open a reed valve and allow fresh oxygen to be pulled into the exhaust stream from scavenging action.

The evap system is just a charcoal cannister used to trap wayward fuel vapor from the carb float bowl and fuel tank. There are a few thermo vac valves and purge solenoids to allow the engine to burn this vapor later once the engine is started and reaches operating temp.

That's IT - there is nothing else. So please stop asking about removing this junk - it does not sap your HP already! Removed it if you like (I do), but UNDERSTAND what it does, and why, before you mess with it. And asking this question again will just piss me off - so please quit it! :rolleyes:

GD

YEAH im gettting mad tired OF general dis Hes a Punk..He might have good say in things But damn hes got something in butthole thats wider then a baseball bat.. IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT I SAY THEN DONT RESPOND KID..I tried the search AND I DONT SHOW NOTHING. IM sorry that im curious you know jeez,.. Just dont answer anything anymore from me if its that big of deal.

Wow hatchy, you need to calm down.

The way i see it, GD is the only one on this thread to set things straight. And he's right. Unless you so some dramatic engine modifications, your still gonna have a 1800cc OHV EA81, and you'll be lucky to see 80hp with the weber. Removing the smog stuff wont make any more power.... but it will clean up the interior of your engine bay.

So before you ask for help next time, make sure your ready to apreciate it. Or just freakin do it, then later we can hear you ask stupid questions like "why isnt my hatch running anymore?"

-Brian

question asked question answered

he offered some excellent information and this same question will come up next week and who will be there to answer it again...GD....but who wants to do that all the time? at least he pipes up and helps out, lots of others may know but don't care to help or read. two sides to the story, he meant no harm but did take the time to read and gave some great info! most others didn't read it, didn't even attempt to help anyone out. now you're informed and can go for it on your ride. good luck with it.

Im not freaking out.. I was curious Whats the big deal. Dont answer if you dont want to.. Ive heard that all all the emissions just restricts the motor;s hp.. I was just wondering man. Its not like you have to read it you know. DAM. I thought forums weer for help. Not to be shot down by someone because they know more about them. Thats why Im a noob. Im glad I never went to a meet and greet if they act like that. prolly some old dudes that are getting ready to croak

Im not freaking out.. I was curious Whats the big deal. Dont answer if you dont want to.. Ive heard that all all the emissions just restricts the motor;s hp.. I was just wondering man. Its not like you have to read it you know. DAM. I thought forums weer for help. Not to be shot down by someone because they know more about them. Thats why Im a noob. Im glad I never went to a meet and greet if they act like that. prolly some old dudes that are getting ready to croak

I rather take croaking old dudes that know there stuff then most of the guys I run in to on my wrx fourms. So be carefull some day it might be a croaking old dude that saves you a few broken knukles and a motor over haul.:burnout::)

Welcome to the fourm:drunk:

aBOUT how much hp gain will i get with all the emissions off and a weber on..and a msd coil

Ya know, I can't say I remember anyone actually taking one of these to a dyno after correctly installing a weber and coil pack. I can say from experience that the cars I've put them on got huge gains in power, and still got better than or about 25 mpg. I removed all of my emmissions stuff. McBrat has a diagram in the repair manual that shows the way to hook it up.

And Hatchy, all of the above learned what they know about Soobs by showing up here and asking questions. Don't feel bad, there's always one or two sour apples in the bunch. Often I'm one of them. :lol: Keep your eye out for our next local (to the greater Seattle area) get-together, you'll find we're a pretty close knit bunch of guys and gals. You'll like (most) of us just fine.

YEAH dude I tottaly get along well with people. Im a pretty cool kid. I want to get up on a meet and greet. I just dony like people who are stuck up and stuff. But im done talking smack. I really appreciate the help from the people who help instead of trash talk. So to all who have helped thanks guys. when are people getting together for a soob run?

well, this sorta go's astray from ur question, but you should take into consideration swapping in a EJ22 motor. Should be a lot better power :banana: . Like 135hp is a lot better than like 75 or what ever. But i forgot who said this but

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races :headbang:

This thread makes me sad, for months i've thought I had spent $100 on a really nice used carb that made my Brat run awesome. Apparently all that increased power I felt from accelerating off the line, to burying the speedo on the freeway, I was just imagining it all. Thanks guys.

The way I see it, HP is a function of torque. Torque is made in the combustion chamber, by a fuel and air mixture igniting and forcing the piston down. By introducing more fuel and more air into the combustion chamber, you get more torque.

Oh... also all my imaginary increase in torque, throughout the rpm range, was gained at stock timing. I could only *imagine* the increase in power when I go to 12-13 degrees like a lot of people run, or so I've heard from other people delusioned by the fact they are making more power.

Apparently all that increased accelerating off the line, to burying the speedo on the freeway, I was just imagining it all.

Im with you man. I just got a weber on my wagon and I can definately feel more power/torque. I probably didn't gain much horsepower, but I did gain a good amount of torque. So a weber is basically all you can do to an EA81 an get a noticable amount of power gain. Engine swap is where its at. Either way with a weber I can do this :burnout: . Before I got a weber whenever I gassed it it felt like my car was doin this :horse: .

So before you ask for help next time, make sure your ready to apreciate it. Or just freakin do it, then later we can hear you ask stupid questions like "why isnt my hatch running anymore?"

-Brian

Now there's something Brian could answer, from experience! How many have you retired that didn't run right or you personally wrecked?

jeez GD go easy on the newcomer:lol: lol

Uhhh, yeah...

Let me see if I get what's being said here. If you add more air and more fuel you will not gain HP. GD(Rick) you usually have somewhat intellegent things to add to topics. However, you are right back to badgering people who second guess your opinion. You do not have all the answers.

BTW, the ASV adds unburned fuel and exhaust back into the system not oxygen into the exhaust.

To all those who think GD is spot on. Just because he speaks loudest and most often does not make him right all the time. A simple case of speak what you know not what you think!

Using the search function can and will answer a lot of the simple most asked questions. However, not everyone knows how to use the search engine to it's fullest. This is an enthusiasts forum. We get new enthusiasts every day. Quit being an rump roast!

No dyno numbers, but I definitely have more power on my EA82 with the Weber. You'll be getting rid of the ASV anyway, because the air cleaner you'll use with the Weber doesn't have a provision for it. As SubaruTex suggested, I also run 12 degrees timing, which also helps compensate for the altitude where I live.

Soobmater brings up the EJ22. I've got one in my 94 Legacy, and I'm putting one in another 86 wagon I have. There's a huge difference in power, but it's also a lot more work than a Weber and adjusting the timing.

Now there's something Brian could answer, from experience! How many have you retired that didn't run right or you personally wrecked?

Wrecked... 0

My cars run right. THe RX is running now, has been running pretty good for the past 2 months. My lifted wagon is forced into retirement after i beat it up on the trails. But, you know as well as I do how off-roading effects these subarus. IIRC you had to retire you hatch cause of it too.

-Brian

But i forgot who said this but

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races :headbang:

Wasn't that Colin McRae?

BTW, cams and forced induction aren't the only ways to increase power.

Other ways include: ram air (at speeds around 100MPH+), cold air intake, intake runner tuning, carb tuning, modification or upgrade, inlet manifold gasflowing, head porting (inlet/exhaust ports, combustion chamber shape etc.), valve modification/replacement, increase CR, optimise timing, extractors, insulating extractors to retain exhaust heat/velocity, free-flowing exhaust......

I'm sure the list could go on and on. Granted, most of the benefits of tuning an engine for the road are had at the low-mid torque range, peak power is almost never used in daily driving.

The worst thing you can do to a daily driver is to optimise it for to HP - huge carbs, wild cam, 3" exhaust headers etc...

You'l end up with a car that doesn't do anything until it hits 4K RPM.