Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's all rollin on SSR's?

TheSubaruJunkie

They are smaller than my 28's (different brand), so yes very close to 27". Mine are 215/75r15 if that helps. I had to do some serious beating with my original 3" blocks to get them to not rub on turns. I replaced my blocks (4") and have my struts turned up, and no rubbing at all now.

GD

Northguy, i have a set of Cooper Discoverer STT's.... well, 3 left since 1 of them has a huge gash in it now. Cooper no longer offers the 205/75R14, so im stuck with looking for new tires. If i got the kumho, they would match my Coopers pretty well, and i would have 3 coopers to use as spares. But I dont know what ply they are, and im sure the 6ply of the swampers will be better.

Scott, how old are your tires? Thats gonna suck if I ruin some SSR's on the 1st or second run... the trails here are brutal.

-Brian

Rubbing is what im affraid of. I dont want to have to beat this hatch too much in order to fit tires. Im after the 14" rim size, and im wondering if some different offset tires will help the rubbing issues.

-Brian

The swampers are the out and out best offroad tire I've every used, and I've had a lot of tires. (But they're expensive, and you gotta have 5!) With a 4/3, you can get some on with minimal cutting and bashing. You'll always have to beat back your floor and bend back the fold under the plastic mud shield, no matter what you put on right?

It's totally possible to do it and keep your car pretty with no rubbing.

Hard as hell to beat the look. :headbang:

188213392oQYxXx_ph.jpg

107671889qfOUGp_ph.jpg

I think Kumhos kick rump roast on the Coopers. They're cheap enough and come with a 6 ply side wall now. They've got a new design. I run them on my Impreza for rally cross and have wheeled them and wheeled them a little. No damage after ripping thru ice that was inches thick.

NBend4.jpg

Great in mud. They are a true M/T.

Why do I need 5 of the swampers Zap? I was gonna use my old coopers as spares, and get the lifetime warranty so I can replace one if I ever damage it beyond repair. Its good to know the kumho's are 6 ply, but I dont think tirerack offers a "no questions asked" waranty.

And your right about the look. Im thinking with the hatch, it deserves the swampers. I will be using a 3/3 lift, so I guess i better take it to work and maybe heat up my sheetmetal before bending it.

-Brian

I might just add (seem some one said M/T's arn't long lasting)... Anyway umm, yeah.. My Kumho Venture M/T's (27x8.5R14's) are very hard compound, they are wearing slower then normal road tires and. Very easy to do burnouts in FWD with my duallie carb EA81. Also they have some bits of tread missing, but mainly from rubbing issues.

I have heard that some M/T's are very very soft, but the kumho is quite the opposite...