Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Short shifter on ea81!

So I have kinda been getting tired of the excessively long shift lever on my ea81 4spd d/r transmission. I got some new bushings from the dealer to firm things up a bit and also cut about 2.5" off the lever. I rethreaded with a 1/2"-20 die (lots of work, had to use visegrips to keep it from turning, lots of cutting oil and elbow grease!) but got it rethreaded and basically just forced the old knob on the slightly larger threads.

I didn't have a metric die big enough to cut the right threads, but looking at the knob, it's nylon inside (or something similar) so for forcing it on it basically cut new threads for me. I also could have retapped it if I had felt like it.

Results: Much better! I didn't want to take too much off since this is an offroad rig and it doesn't make sense to put it super low for the application, but it's much more fun to drive with smoother, shorter shifts.

Aaron

Technically not a "short shifter" but if your happy with it, thats cool.

Short shifters change the lever point so the stick stays the same height but the lever action is less. There are kits out their on eBay that just cut their shifter down, and they call them "Short shifter kits" but you know how ebay is..

I like my shifter size/throw on my 2" lifted Brat. Wouldn't want it longer as I would have a hard time not crunching gears...

But we definitely need pics :)

If you lift it, you get your own "short shifter". The lift drops the trans 3" so you get a 3" shorter shift knob. Now, if you lift the sube its going to be almost impossible to shift.

Im going to be doing something similar to what you did, but to my RX. If you want a REAL nice shift knob... look for a Forester Turbo leather wrapped knob. Same thread pattern and it is 1,000x more comfortable than the stock EA81 knobs. I have one on my RX and i love it.

-Brian

Any idea what the size and tp are that these knobs use?

I've seen some come with metric adaptor fittings, but they're perma tapped SAE for American vehicles(off the shelf at most auto parts stores). They probably have import stuff too but I've never checked that out yet.

I did shorten the shifter of my Yellow Wagon, exactly 4" down... :

:brow:

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

...And I used the Rubber base of a Suzuki, and a aftermarket heavy polished iron Knob... It have one benefit and one problem:

• The Benefit is the Shorter Shiftin` Gears, you don`t hit the "Open Legs" of a tired passenger

:D ...and it won`t hit the Radio. :)

• The Problems with a Heavy Metallic Knob are Two: Exposure to Direct Sunlight (Hot as Hell

:mad: ) or Cold Climates... You Know... Cold Shifts...

But it also serve to make some fun... I put over it my Baseball hat, and from the exterior the car seems to be a "No Shift" Car...

:burnout: I heard people seein the interior and askin` each others: Is this Automatic, or where it have the Shifter? :D

• 1 year later...

Someone car to take a stab at fabricating the linkage assembly for a short shifter? I will admit I am no fabricator, I would have to pay to play. the cutting of the shift lever should be easy enough with a few basic tools and a welder in the family.

wouldnt be too hard to do, ive got enough free time to attempt it, but nothing to test it on, yet.

if anyone locally has some spare linkages and is willing to try, i am willing to cut and weld, i have nothing else to do for the next five months.

Someone car to take a stab at fabricating the linkage assembly for a short shifter? I will admit I am no fabricator, I would have to pay to play. the cutting of the shift lever should be easy enough with a few basic tools and a welder in the family.