Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD Conversion & a Rear LSD on a EA81 4speed....

Could it put more strain on the tranny if I install my LSD? I had to break a front CV today cause im too poor to buy a new one... so i will be runnin the Hatch in RWD mode for a while. I noticed the rear end likes to peel out alot, so I have this 3.9 LSD sitting here... and was wondering if it would be too much for the tranny if i installed it?

-Brian

That's one thing I have noticed about my hatch in RWD- it likes to be sideways. What's really fun is hitting my road at about 30-35 in second, floor it, and go right sideways. The fun of living on a dirt road........

Oh yeah, is it just mine, or do all these cars handle ten times better as a rear drive?

Brian, sounds like you're experiencing an everyday occurence that happened to us "old timers" during the time when almost every car was rear drive..some of the V8 Mustangs and Firebeirds of the 60's were especially fun (so were no-guts Volkswagens, but in a different way:brow: ), Powerslide City at every corner, yahoo!!:headbang:

Brian, sounds like you're experiencing an everyday occurence that happened to us "old timers" during the time when almost every car was rear drive..some of the V8 Mustangs and Firebeirds of the 60's were especially fun (so were no-guts Volkswagens, but in a different way:brow: ), Powerslide City at every corner, yahoo!!:headbang:

+1 RWD FTW!

Heh, I miss my Camaro:(

Could it put more strain on the tranny if I install my LSD? I had to break a front CV today cause im too poor to buy a new one... so i will be runnin the Hatch in RWD mode for a while. I noticed the rear end likes to peel out alot, so I have this 3.9 LSD sitting here... and was wondering if it would be too much for the tranny if i installed it?

-Brian

drove home from montreal to long island ny like that (8 plus hours). Just be fully aware that the car will handle differently :)

nipper

so you say RWD subie handles better then FWD? I haven't tried it so I won't contest it. But I still believe you can go faster around corners in 4WD then either FWD or RWD. I love my subie in 4WD. I also don't care about the gearbox much. I can always get a old wreck off ebay for a "new" gearbox.

Thats the police package one? Thats pretty cool, but is it in $18k condition right now, hehe. I know my cars aren't!

Yes, that would be the one and yes, it is in a $18,000 condition right now. Actually, value of the car as it sits is $18,883 according to the dealership a couple years ago. Fully restored.... upwards of $45,000:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's one thing I have noticed about my hatch in RWD- it likes to be sideways. What's really fun is hitting my road at about 30-35 in second, floor it, and go right sideways. The fun of living on a dirt road........

Oh yeah, is it just mine, or do all these cars handle ten times better as a rear drive?

I stripped a front hub in my hatch about a year ago and had to drive 10 miles home in 4-hi. Those things handle awesome in RWD. If I didn't love my 4wd so much I would have converted the thing.