Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toothpaste + headlights = good

I can't remember if it was on this board or over at legacycentral that I read about someone taking toothpaste to their fogged up headlights but I decided to try it. Sorry, no pics (I know I know) but after investing about $0.12 worth of toothpaste and about 10 minutes of my time I saw a notable improvement!

Here's my complicated method:

Step 1. blast lights with hose and wipe off loose dirt

step 2. slop on a blob of toothpaste and rub it around with a clean rag till you get sick of doing it.

step 3. rinse everything off well with the hose

I'm going to give 'er another round or two of this treatment to see how good they can get. Then maybe clearcoat the lenses or something. :clap:

mint or regular :D

nipper

there is also a 2 part kit available in auto parts stores. Dont clear coat them yet, wait a few days to make sure it solved the problem, otherwise your sealing in all the oxidation that cause the yellowing to begin with.

DO a search here lots of posts on this

nipper

mint or regular :D

nipper

there is also a 2 part kit available in auto parts stores. Dont clear coat them yet, wait a few days to make sure it solved the problem, otherwise your sealing in all the oxidation that cause the yellowing to begin with.

DO a search here lots of posts on this

nipper

Good call, I actually intend to give them another session or two before clearcoat anyway. or I might just not bother clearcoating at all.

... and it was Mint :D

if you are lazy like me, after you have the headlights polished, rather than clearcoating just leave them bare, and every time you check your oil you can polish the headlights with the oily rag. the oil somehow leaves the headlights looking like glass if your polishing job was good.

Here are some pics of my tail lights. There were badly, badly hazed.

Went though a few grits of sand paper till I had them nice and smooth. Then just shot some walmart clear on them. Did it in the sun and coated them heavy. Been over 2 years and they still look great.

Almost used some VHT nightshades.

To get that tinted look without folks being able to steal your tint covers.

http://viragotech.com/taillights.html

so after all of the hype with tarter reducution for headlamps i finally decided to give it a whirl (namely on the driverside). instead of buying cheap dollar general paste, i just grabbed my current tube of aquafresh. i rinsed the lamps and applied the paste with a cotton towel, then soaked the towel with water to slosh it around a bit. frusterated with no progress i rinsed, and dried with disposable shop towels. then i applied more paste on a dry disposable towel and scrubbed. This seemed to go better as the paste was obviously more abrassive. rinsed and dried. my hands smelled fresh and minty. here's a link to the pictures.

http://www.dj3stripes.com/subaru/Headlamps-Round1/

i intened to repeat before my next carwash (perhaps with a toothbrush!), as it's still a bit yellow, and in comparisson a LOT more yellow than the passenger side

300.jpg

• 7 months later...

I cleaned the headlights on my '92 Legacy with COMET CLEANSER today. I used a clean, wet rag and enough COMET to make a thin paste. Worked it in for 2 minutes, then wiped it off. There was still a slight haze (COMET does that), so I spit on them and wiped the haze off. It worked great! :clap: A definite improvement, and they actually look white on the road.

... or maybe it was the spit?? :-\

John Wilke

Milwaukee

I threw that tooth paste on with breath strips in it, and made a improvement, from clear, clearer :grin: Tommorow ill try again, ill buff it much harder and rinse instead of just wipe, then apply some cleaner. Ill take some pics of before(looked fairily clear) after(little more clear)

I threw that tooth paste on with breath strips in it, and made a improvement, from clear, clearer :grin: Tommorow ill try again, ill buff it much harder and rinse instead of just wipe, then apply some cleaner. Ill take some pics of before(looked fairily clear) after(little more clear)

Don't forget to floss

:lol:

nipper

I use a variable speed grinder at slow speed with a 8 inch polishing pad and polishing /rubbing compound. If you go too fast or stay in one spot you will melt the plastic.

I'm sure you could rig something up with a dremel. Isn't that what dentists to anyway? :eek::grin:

Don't forget to floss

:lol:

nipper

I never forget :lol:

And heres how it turned out, right headlight pictures were not cleaned with toothpaste, left side headlight with toothpaste 1 pic with flash 1 pic without flash, i don't know if u can see the difference though, i should have used my camera, not camera phone.

01252007003.jpg

01252007002.jpg

01252007001.jpg

01252007.jpg

This is another before pic, before i used the tooth paste with my camera from a while back. Hmm, ill take better pics when it gets warmer here its like -20C here :o

DSC02082.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Go to your local hobby shop & buy a "polishing kit" ($12) & some "The Treatment" model car wax. ($8) The Polishing kit will be sanding cloths in 3200, 3400, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, & 12000. Start with the 4k & work up to the 12k. follow that with the wax... Viola! SUPER shiny headlight lenses! (Guess what I do for fun LOL)

On the cheap... get some coarse rubbing compound & a LOT of elbow grease. I don't reccommend using a dremel as it's too fast & hot for the polycarbonate. maybe a VSR cordless drill, or a cheapie single speed, with a polishing wheel. I've done this on a set of SEVERELY yellowed Ford Tempo lights. They were so bad I'd have reccommended strapping a lighter to the hood!:eek:

On the SUPER cheap (&temporary) get some "Future Floor Wax" & brush it on with a paintbrush... it'll shine 'em up until it rains, then it'll need more.