Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running Ethanol in EA82's

I remember in my owners manual that it said to not use more than 10% ethanol-blended fuel.

I'm not sure exactly why - fuel is used as a lubrcant for the fuel pump and injectors. Maybe those parts will wear out faster.

Don't recall my book mentioning anything except requiring 90 octane. Was that in your 87 book or the one for the 92?

Thanks,

Wayne

Correct NW. The alcohol contained in E85 will eat almost any rubber and plastic in the fuel system and carb. Its's also corrosive to some metals. Then you have the problem of it running leaner than gas along with it actually having significantly less BTU's. And finally, just like propane, you need a higher CR to really take advantage (?) of it. In short... DON'T DO IT!:eek:

If you are talking about carb powered.... it's possible to get a Weber to run on it - or a small Holley. Just have to jet it right, and replace the seals and rubber with alcohol rated stuff. The rest of the system is steel, and you can easily replace the rubber hoses. The carb would have to be jetted properly for it as well. The fuel filler hose is the only thing I think that would be tricky - it's a special bent rubber section that's a *************** to get to (drop the tank), and it's a special shape....

LPG would be much better and cheaper IMO.

GD

...LPG would be much better and cheaper IMO.

GD

+1

Ethanol is a big buzz word, but last I saw numbers on it (admittedly 8-10 years ago), it took more energy to produce than it contained. (You have to factor in the energy to grow and harvest the feed stock, to ferment it, and to distill it.) It was not a viable "renewable" energy source, but more of a political public relations ploy.

Yes, LPG is easier, cheaper and so on. But the thing about Ethanol is you can make it out of things like Sugar. Which is much better for the environment.

In Brazil you can pretty much only buy pure Enthanol for a car there. Most fuel stations don't even sell pure petrol. And it seems to give them a large boost to their economy. Of cause, they made the change in the 80's. Now it would cost too much for another country to do the same.

I guess you need to read up on what plastics and rubbers you can use with enthanol and replace all the stuff that will go wrong with ethanol proof stuff.

I'm gonna try running a 50/50 mix here in my Rx soon... Theres a local guy running E85 all the way in his 2.5 Rs turbo with no issues... you do have to fuel it more, so it gets worse MPG... but it is lots cheaper. I also have some turbo Z injectors and a SAFC to try out on it to go total E85.

The carb on my paddock basher (85 Toyota Corolla) the carb is stuffed and will only run while you constantly pump the accelerator

Anyway, we had a bottle of methalated spirits (98% ethanol) handy so we slowly poured it down the throat.

Redlined like a new one.:headbang: And no smokey exhaust:eek:

Yeah Phizinza, i saw that too, i was quite amazed. It was on that show with mat shervington wasn't it?

I think it will just take time and public acceptance for ethanol to become a renewable fuel source.

Whats wrong with silicon fuel hose, thats what they use on those small engines in remote control cars and aeroplanes.

Yeah Phizinza, i saw that too, i was quite amazed. It was on that show with mat shervington wasn't it?

It was on Beyond Tomorrow. I barely ever watch that show and that was one of the things I saw on it the other week. Shervington was the guy who presented the "Second Life" bit on the show right? Sorry, bit off topic there. :-\

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

E85 has many isues, first off it gets less gas mileage then gasoline. Secondly the fuel tank and fuel lines have to be cleaned and flushed of all dirt. E85 is a powerful solvent, and if you have a carb, its not fun to clog one of those puppies up. Third you need to replace the rubber fuel lines under the hood, and any rubber and plastic that may see fuel (evap system vac lines) with hoses that can deal with the e85. I know on good old fashioned carns that they can run on e85 by rejetting the carbs, i dont know what you do on this. Also because something works on a turbo doesnt mean it works on a NA engine.

ALmost all the sites ive seen storngly advise NOT to do this. Its an easy conversion on a car that is e85 ready. Yes it only costs a few 100 dolars to do on an assembly line, but costs more if the car was never prepared for it.

I've already seen a few nightmare stories of people doing this and having to have fuel systems professionally cleaned, including carbs. In Fuel injected cars you need larger injectors, and there is a question as to how the computer will handle it.

If you want to do it, go ahead, personally i wouldnt, and there is no guarentee how long the car will run.

nipper

Ethanol needs 9:1 air ratio to be "efficient" and gas needs 14.7:1. That's the stoichiometric AFRs.

So if your car thinks it's using gas, it's going to mix the ethanol at 14.7:1. As stated before, it'll make your car run lean unless you adjust for it. Carbs can re-jet, fuel injection ...well you gotta hack the computer or just Megasquirt it.:banana: