Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New "turbo-Acura" Outback rip off!!!!!

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=Home

Check this out. Its called the RDX? The engine HP and Tq # match subaru outback to a tee. They even claim to have developed a revolutionary feature that matched engine exhaust gas flow to turbo speed. I think its been called a wastegate.

Why would someone pay that kind of bread for a awd overweight acura, when they can have the real deal, not some pretender.

I have had contests of speed with a few MDXs (put them in the rear view real quick). Maybe they are trying to save some face.

Bill

the acura's are pretty cool looking...........but thats about all they got goin for them the name "subaru" is starting to revolutionize america.....ill give them a couple years to where any other AWD is Obsolete. and subaru will rule the world:banana:

I think acura's target was the bmw x3- and if you compare those 2 cars, the rdx has a lot going for it.

but to answer your question of why someone would pay so much money for one? that's like asking why you would pay for a lexus over a toyota or an audi over a vw.

most people dont care about who has the "best" awd system- they just care that it has awd. they just want a luxury suv with all the frills that come with it.

anyway, I just don't see the rdx as an outback ripoff- if anything I'd say it's more comparable to the tribeca (both crossover suv's with luxury ammenities)

That thing is ************ing ugly. I'm sorry.

The only new-for-2006-or-up Honda that looks good is the Fit. Everything else is hideous.

As far as the turbo thing, it's the 80's all over again. Everyone is turbo-crazy. BMW's new high-end 3-series coupe, the 335i, is twin-turbo. BMW hasn't made a turbo car for the street since the 2002 Turbo!!

Great, just what we need. Another SUV...

Ooh, its "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive ". They must have trademarked the whole name, cuz Subaru's got the trademark on All-Wheel Drive.

Pardon the rant but I'm I'm getting tired of this marketing crap.

THAT AIN"T AN SUV!!!!

You can't throw a few SUV styling cues at a car and call it an SUV.

It's an all wheel drive wagon just like Subaru has been doing for decades.

People complain about everyone driving SUV's who don't need them but nobody says a word about manufactors building SUV's that virtually have none of the attibutes that SUVs are supposed to have.

It's like taking a family sedan, throwing on some wide tires and a wing and saying "Look! it's a sports cars"

OK, I feel better now :)

People complain about everyone driving SUV's who don't need them but nobody says a word about manufactors building SUV's that virtually have none of the attibutes that SUVs are supposed to have.

I don't know- I think these 2 worlds are converging. I also agree that most people who drive SUV's don't need the attributes of a "traditional body on frame SUV." and as more manufacturers make "crossover suv's," we reach a happy medium. Honestly, I don't need a traditional SUV and I'm probably in the minority when I say that I like the move manufacturers are making by building more crossover wagons. In fact I think society would be better off if every soccer mom traded in her tahoe for a highlander (basically a camry station wagon).

It's like taking a family sedan, throwing on some wide tires and a wing and saying "Look! it's a sports cars"

kinda like the last generation legacy gt's :D

To be fair, SH-AWD is really, really cool.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2004-4040401a

It is really, really cool. This Honda is one of those cars that you probably only want to drive on a 2 or 3 year lease. Because as cool as this car is when it's new, I bet it has a real potential as a truly serious money pit when major maintenance or repair issues arise. All those extra clutches, variable speed units, and fancy electronics inevitably wearing out and failing- the horror, the horror.

It is really, really cool. This Honda is one of those cars that you probably only want to drive on a 2 or 3 year lease. Because as cool as this car is when it's new, I bet it has a real potential as a truly serious money pit when major maintenance or repair issues arise. All those extra clutches, variable speed units, and fancy electronics inevitably wearing out and failing- the horror, the horror.

I wouldn't be too worried. Honda isn't in the business of making unreliable, high-maintenance cars.

The traction control in my Lincoln (aka ford) was 230,000 miles old and had no issues. Could have just thrown in a limited slip though. Couldnt they have done the same thing here? (SHAWD) Arent these the same functions as LSD? (move power to wheel with more grip)

well, all an LSD can do is limit the speed difference between the left and right wheel. It won't ever allow 100% of the torque to go to one side because it can't lock. More like half at best.

It seems to be that SH-AWD has sort of a permanently locked diff with clutches going to each axle, so one wheel can be getting all the power and the other will be free spinning.

The STi, which has the fanciest Subaru AWD, just has front and rear LSDs and a center diff that can lock. All the DCCD does is vary the amout of lockup in the diff. The difference is that it's strong enough to send the majority of power to whichever wheels have the most traction.

How this compares is the Honda can send 70% of torque to one rear wheel. The STi can do something like 45%.

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=Home

Check this out. Its called the RDX? The engine HP and Tq # match subaru outback to a tee. They even claim to have developed a revolutionary feature that matched engine exhaust gas flow to turbo speed. I think its been called a wastegate.

Why would someone pay that kind of bread for a awd overweight acura, when they can have the real deal, not some pretender.

I have had contests of speed with a few MDXs (put them in the rear view real quick). Maybe they are trying to save some face.

Bill

What Subaru do you have? The MDX is probably faster 0-60 than any Subaru but the turbos.